D3 Championship Belt

Started by Just Bill, January 24, 2007, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Bill

OK, this is kind of a corny thing that me and my college buddies used to do for various leagues.  We start the season with the previous year's national champion and award them the "Championship Belt" (think boxing).  That team can then hold the belt until they lose to another D-III team.  Then that team holds the belt as long as they can.  It's kind of a take-off of being "the team, that beat the team, that beat the team." Almost always the Belt winner is also the national champion.  I've tracked it back to the start of this season.  I'll keep track of it for a while and see if any else thinks its fun (or not).

Nov. 17-Nov. 27 - Virginia Wesleyan (lost to Averett 81-73)
Nov. 27-Jan. 2 - Averett (lost to Guilford 74-69)
Jan. 2-Jan. 7 - Guilford (lost to Virginia Wesleyan 75-55)
Jan. 7-Current - Virginia Wesleyan

Next Championship Belt game:  Tonight, Hampden-Sydney at Virginia Wesleyan

Since we are firmly entrenched in conference play it doesn't appear the Belt will get out of the ODAC until tournament time.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

That seems silly and pointless...

...which means it fits in nicely with half of the other boards on the site.  Cheerio.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Just Bill

This is what 2005-06 looked like:

Start-Nov. 26 - UW-Stevens Point
Nov. 26-Dec. 6 - Lakeland
Dec. 6-Dec. 10 - Wisconsin Lutheran
Dec. 10-Dec. 29 - Dominican (Ill.)
Dec. 29-Feb. 3 - Southwestern (Tex.)
Feb. 3-Feb. 24 - Trinity (Tex.)
Feb. 24-Feb. 25 - Rhodes
Feb. 25-Mar. 3 - DePauw
Mar. 3-Mar. 4 - UW-Whitewater
Mar. 4-Mar. 17 - Illinois Wesleyan
Mar. 17-End - Virginia Wesleyan

Silly and pointless...absolutely.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

smedindy

It reminds me of what they used to have here in the county back before the high schools consolidated. They had a traveling trophy and if two county teams played each other, and one had posession of the trophy, it was up for grabs.

Of course, the trophy was the "County Keg". I kid you not.

Greek Tragedy

Cool stuff...but, for some reason, I was expecting the list to be at least twice as long. 
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It would be interesting to see if the "belt" could end up with a team other than the national champion at the end of the year, say a UAA squad picks up a big upset victory in the last game of the season and then doesn't get invited to the tournament.  That could be cool.

Just Bill

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 24, 2007, 03:55:12 PM

It would be interesting to see if the "belt" could end up with a team other than the national champion at the end of the year, say a UAA squad picks up a big upset victory in the last game of the season and then doesn't get invited to the tournament.  That could be cool.
Yes, the only way it could happen would be a situation like you described.  It would have to be a team without the resume for an at-large bid from a conference without a conf. tournament, or with a small field for the conference tournament (MWC comes to mind) that they fail to qualify for.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I actually think this is a great idea... it isn't serious... and its fun to see what happens to the "belt" throughout the season!

Anyway... I will keep paying attention to the games (as I do) and this board... and maybe we will keep an update on the "Belt" every week on "Hoopsville".
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Hoaf

I like this idea. Keep tabs on it and keep it up to date.

It's sort of like what they did on Sportscenter with the D-I BCS champion Florida Gators . They had such a long string of teams that lost to so and so that it went all the way down to a D-II school. So conceivably the NCAA D-I Football belt could have gone to a D-II school.
Hoaf

Just Bill

Thanks for your support of weird, useless message board threads.

Virginia Wesleyan retains the belt with a 74-43 thrashing of Hampden-Sydney.  That's their fourth defense of the belt in a row.

Next Championship Belt match:  Saturday (1/27), Virginia Wesleyan at Emory & Henry

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on January 24, 2007, 07:03:08 PM
I actually think this is a great idea... it isn't serious... and its fun to see what happens to the "belt" throughout the season!

Anyway... I will keep paying attention to the games (as I do) and this board... and maybe we will keep an update on the "Belt" every week on "Hoopsville".

Let's not go overboard. As was mentioned, it's not even going to leave the ODAC any time soon. This thing isn't likely to move for a while.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on January 24, 2007, 07:03:08 PM

This would be even cooler if there actually was a giant leather belt with shiny baubles and gewgaws all over it, as in boxing and professional wrestling. Then it should be a mandatory NCAA rule that the head coach of the team possessing it has to wear it during games. Heck, if Bruce Pearl can wear body paint and look like an idiot during a Tennessee women's game, then the coach of the reigning "belt" team can certainly suffer a little discomfort and indignity around his midsection. It's not as though college basketball coaching is a dignity-laden occupation, anyway.

Besides, it'd make an even better article of clothing that he could remove and then slam to the floor in anger than a sportcoat.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

I can picture my old buddy Bob Johnson strutting around with the D3 world heavyweight championship belt on if his E&H system squad upsets Va Wesl this weekend  -  just laughed out loud and my next door office neighbor wanted to know what was so funny....... ;D ;D
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Just Bill

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 25, 2007, 04:10:21 AM
This would be even cooler if there actually was a giant leather belt with shiny baubles and gewgaws all over it, as in boxing and professional wrestling.

Just Bill's To Do List:
1. Visit Leather shop (not that I know where it is  ;))
2. Visit Michael's Arts and Crafts
3. Construct Belt in garage
4. Write letter to NCAA

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

You might want to move #4 up a few notches, you know, just in case they don't jump on the idea as much as we have, God forbid.