MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

Whitworth up 46-43 at the half. Having Staudacher be the only player to touch the ball on the last possession of the half was really the only bad decision Whitworth has made in the first 20 min. The press is hurting Whitman more than it is helping so hopefully it continues

blackhawks4

46-43 Whitworth at halftime.

I've watched a lot of Whitworth basketball this year--more than I care to admit.  And they just gave Whitman their best half of the season.  Valle, Love, Jurlina, Roach, Sears...you name it, they were unconscious.  If they play a second half like that, they wont just beat Whitman...they'll beat anybody in the country.  BUT, can they play a 2nd half like that? I don't think they can.  In looking at the stat sheet--they're going to cool down.  Whitman just has to stay consistent.  HUGE first 5 minutes of the half, could tell us a lot.  Should be WMN ball coming out of the break.

Sure, I'd much rather have WMN in the driver's seat right now, but they just took WW's best shot...and its a 3 pt game.  I like their chances. 

(509)Rat

Congrats to Whitman. McDonald and Howell played their best half of basketball at the right time. Makes you wonder how they lose games to much worse opponents. And don't worry blackhawks, when they don't make it to Salem, none of us Pirate fans will say their season was anything but a success. Been through the gauntlet that is the western half of the d3 tourney bracket. Good luck!

BruinFan

Wow - I caught the last 8 minutes or so of the Whitworth-Whitman game. That was amazing. Both teams were making all kinds of shots. Too bad the NWC could only have one advance to next weekend. Congrats to Whitman.

pg04

What an entertaining game! Kudos to both teams who could have probably made it to the sweet 16 on their own without the geographic limitations.

Good luck to Whitman next weekend!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Terrific back and forth game. Really fun to watch. I hate to say it, though, the announcer completely ruined some of the experience.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CMSfan

Congrats to Whitman from down south. That was a fun game to watch between a couple of very talented teams. I'm impressed by Whitman's depth and toughness. St. Thomas will be tough, but I think they've got a shot.

Props also to Whitworth for another great season and NWC championship. Also for a great broadcast (minus the laughable commentary).

(509)Rat

I know you watch a lot of d3hoops streams, which means I know you know how bad 95% of them are. I get there was something that rubbed you the wrong way but in terms of broadcasts night in night out, doing play by play and color, solo, there aren't more than a handful of comparable announcers in d3hoops.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What rubbed me wrong is the absolute unabated attack of the refs over what was apparently a questionable non-call (I wasn't watching at the time - another window was up - but had his audio up). He even admitted when one of the refs got close he probably shouldn't say anything and then continued on with his attack of the bad call. He then brought it up several times after that. It is a major no-no in the eyes of the NCAA to criticize the refs especially in such an aggressive manner.

Then at the end he called Whitworth punks as they were celebrating.

Here is the key about hosting: despite it being on a "home" floor, everything is to be as neutral as possible. The broadcast veered away from neutral on many occasions. I actually enjoyed how he called parts of the game, but to inert overly aggressive and extremely bad tone and such into the broadcast about a call is uncalled for. There are ways to say something about it being a non-call without going after the refs. He went way over the line. And then the punk comment... I think that speaks for itself.

BTW, not only is the NCAA going to be unhappy... but there are a LOT of eyeballs on that game around the country... I wouldn't think Whitworth wouldn't want to be portrayed in such a way, either.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

(509)Rat

I wonder if he was talking about when Love almost got decapitated? I was further down the court but there was a blatant flagrant 1 and wouldn't have been out of the question to call it a flagrant 2. Maybe half way through the 2nd half?

Obviously didn't hear his call but would agree saying anything about the Whitman players is uncalled for. Don't get me wrong, Howell was a total dick (and White and McDonald weren't much better), but when you make every shot you take in the second half you get to point, stick your tongue out and cuss at the opposing students all you want. He earned the right to be a dick and the announcer should have just let that go.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yes, I believe that was the call he was talking about... and I get it probably should have been called... but there are ways to comment on that ... and going off on the refs and stating you probably have gone too far and then continuing ... well that speaks for itself.

And yes, I am sure in that rivalry game when Whitman has finally won on Whitworth's floor... the players weren't acting at their very best... but the announcer can't stoop to that level. We at home are expecting to hear the call without the edge of hatred... and that was clearly on display.

When the mic is turned on or the camera light turns red... there are expectations especially in such a highly watched event... thus the bar is raised... you have to rise to that bar and not lower it.

D O.C.

I simply cannot digest the fact that (509)rat was correct in that Whitworth should not have been ranked #1 in the country.   :-*

CMSfan

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 06, 2016, 12:27:13 AM
I wonder if he was talking about when Love almost got decapitated? I was further down the court but there was a blatant flagrant 1 and wouldn't have been out of the question to call it a flagrant 2. Maybe half way through the 2nd half?

FWIW, watching online it just looked like a hard foul. Commentator said it was a breakaway and that Love got tackled...definitely not what it looked like.

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 06, 2016, 12:27:13 AM
Don't get me wrong, Howell was a total dick (and White and McDonald weren't much better)

I get that it's disappointing to lose a big game, especially to a team you're used to beating, but it's unfortunate that you saw fit to write that.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Turns out... I know who the broadcaster was... disappointed he let his professional skills slip and slide to those levels. He is better than that.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 05, 2016, 11:44:35 PM
Congrats to Whitman. McDonald and Howell played their best half of basketball at the right time. Makes you wonder how they lose games to much worse opponents. And don't worry blackhawks, when they don't make it to Salem, none of us Pirate fans will say their season was anything but a success. Been through the gauntlet that is the western half of the d3 tourney bracket. Good luck!

^^This. Well said, 509.

A couple other thoughts.

(1) Stop raging on Bob. Dave, you are right that calling Whitman punks (or whatever, I didn't hear that part of the call) shouldn't have been said, but 509 is right too that they were acting like punks. I don't blame them, I probably would have acted that way too in an emotional college game against my rival at their home court with their loud fans. But Dave, those refs were horrid tonight--and it's not just that non intentional call. Just an unreal amount of incompetence for an NCAA game, which is unfortunate. Bob is an official himself, so he is often over-the-top kind to refs. I don't blame him for saying something about the refs in an emotional game between two rivals. Stop with the holier than thou stuff.

(2) Howell is a freak. I'm now 100% convinced he's the best player in the conference even if he didn't win POY this year (I was only 75% convinced before ;D). Geez. He threw up so many wild shots and they all fell. He's going to be annoyingly good for the next two years, isn't he? It was fun to see 5 of the best 6 players in the NWC all on the floor at the same time. Hey blackhawk, there seems to be some difference on McDonald's eligibility. I've seen him listed as a sophomore and a junior. Do you know which it is? I hope it's a junior. I can't imagine having to face Howell and McD the next two years. I'm guessing this is how most teams felt about Love and Jurlina last year (and this year and next year).

(3) WW will be fine going forward. Other than Valle, they return everyone who played major minutes this season. I would imagine Roach and Bishop will see a lot more playing time going forward as they go into their sophomore year. WM will be fine too. As long as they have Howell and McD they will be as good as anyone. The road to the NWC title will go through Eastern Washington for the foreseeable future.

(4) Good luck to WM going through the west. WW has nothing to hang their heads over. They won yet another NWC regular season and tournament title, and lost to a really good team in the tournament in a game that could have gone either way. Both teams are deserving of the sweet 16, but region and logistics and all that.