FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 11, 2019, 08:45:43 AM
In all seriousness I would have went with the Union coaching staff but that's just me.  Maybe there was a slight dig at Union's non conference schedule, or the fact that Middlebury wasn't expected to win the Nescac.  Either way I thought winning the LL in the way Union did was more impressive.
If Union had not been undefeated or soared from the ashes of an 0-10 program from a few years ago, then I am all in with Middlebury which had an exceptional accomplishment, but my vote would have still been for Union going undefeated against some tough LL opponents and the coaching preparation for each one of those wins.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Ithaca798891

So I think Union and Hobart are your clear 1-2 next season, based on returning all-region players.

IC/RPI/St Lawrence will fill out the middle tier in some order, and then Buff State and Rochester will round out the league.

Ithaca's in a weird spot. Nearly all of their best players—going by all-region selections—were seniors. But they return a lot of starters as well.

Ice Bear

Quote from: Ithaca798891 on December 12, 2019, 10:16:06 AM
So I think Union and Hobart are your clear 1-2 next season, based on returning all-region players.

IC/RPI/St Lawrence will fill out the middle tier in some order, and then Buff State and Rochester will round out the league.

Ithaca's in a weird spot. Nearly all of their best players—going by all-region selections—were seniors. But they return a lot of starters as well.

Ice agrees with Bombers but thinks IC may surprise some. Ice saw some talented underclassmen and with Nabi stepping back in (experienced QB) it's not like a total void will be left behind center. The drop from Joe G to any inexperienced QB is going to be huge. At least Nabi will make that gap a bit smaller.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 10, 2019, 08:13:03 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 10, 2019, 02:11:07 PM
Ritter, Sherm Wood, Behrman, Mangone all quality candidates. We still consider the NESCAC part of Division III and the East Region until told otherwise, though.

Greco??????????? Replaced 8 out of 11 offensive starters and made the National Quarterfinals. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. ;)

I must have missed the name in between Ritter and Mangone. My bad. ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on December 11, 2019, 01:59:10 PM
In all seriousness I would have went with the Union coaching staff but that's just me.  Maybe there was a slight dig at Union's non conference schedule, or the fact that Middlebury wasn't expected to win the Nescac.  Either way I thought winning the LL in the way Union did was more impressive.

Consensus around here has got to be Union HC as coach of the year.  Can't possibly ding Union for their OOC  record, especially since Midd gets to play the BBC trio on an annual basis.

I'll take Greco (DelVal) and his national quarterfinal appearance.................the year after losing 8 of his 11 offensive starters and playing a first year QB.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Doid23 on December 11, 2019, 02:35:15 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 10, 2019, 09:00:43 AM

Yea I'm surprised we haven't heard any talk of Mount Union looking to drop their program entirely.  Real sad to see what's going on up there.
Yeah, but what would happen to the 61 players on their Freshman Team?

They might have to "man up" and play for other programs.....................to slay the beast instead of just becoming a tiny part of the huge machine. ;)

Ice Bear

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 12, 2019, 01:50:53 PM

Consensus around here has got to be Union HC as coach of the year.  Can't possibly ding Union for their OOC  record, especially since Midd gets to play the BBC trio on an annual basis.

I'll take Greco (DelVal) and his national quarterfinal appearance.................the year after losing 8 of his 11 offensive starters and playing a first year QB.

Ice Bear says this is a great call JM! IB wasn't even thinking that but hell yeah. They lost a **** ton (one of the reasons IB kept them out of the top five in his rankings most of the year (now their #1 in the east to Ice). It seemed every week they took care of business and then come playoff time for-****ing-get it. What a year and incredible job by the entire staff, the players, and the overall program. They are excellent every damn year.

When your program stops having to rebuild and just reloads, you know you have become elite. IB is so happy for their success and again JM, great ****ing call.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Jonny Utah

Greco?  That's like giving Robert E. Lee the Congressional Medal of Honor for his efforts in the Civil War.

No thanks.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 12, 2019, 03:48:27 PM
Greco?  That's like giving Robert E. Lee the Congressional Medal of Honor for his efforts in the Civil War.

No thanks.

Yes, as the other East candidates took theirteams to the national quarterfinals and had to replace 8 of 11 offensive starters, including his 4 year starter at QB,

Jonny, this may just be a smidge over your head. ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ice Bear on December 12, 2019, 03:22:42 PM

Ice Bear says this is a great call JM! IB wasn't even thinking that but hell yeah. They lost a **** ton (one of the reasons IB kept them out of the top five in his rankings most of the year (now their #1 in the east to Ice). It seemed every week they took care of business and then come playoff time for-****ing-get it. What a year and incredible job by the entire staff, the players, and the overall program. They are excellent every damn year.

When your program stops having to rebuild and just reloads, you know you have become elite. IB is so happy for their success and again JM, great ****ing call.

Spot on Ice, but watch out. Jonny might even have to look up who Greco is and rescind his laughable comment. ;)

Machiavelli

Hey Rossenbagga, tell us how awesome you are at the stock market again.

No one gives a flying fvc|<

Jonny Utah

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 12, 2019, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: Ice Bear on December 12, 2019, 03:22:42 PM

Spot on Ice, but watch out. Jonny might even have to look up who Greco is and rescind his laughable comment. ;)

I'm actually sorry I was confusing him with your Mulenberg comments about the South region, forgetting Del Val is in the East region.  I'm sure he is a great coach.  Del Val is always tough, especially in recent years.  I still think Unions staff deserved it, but I'm biased.....

Doid23

Quote from: Machiavelli on December 12, 2019, 05:17:55 PM

Not as awesome as this guy, that's for sure...
http://www.mrmarketishuge.com/huge/

Machiavelli

Quote from: Doid23 on December 12, 2019, 05:42:59 PM

IAMHUGE is/was the GOAT. I miss that guy. I miss him so damn much.

Doid23

Quote from: Machiavelli on December 12, 2019, 05:44:17 PM
Quote from: Doid23 on December 12, 2019, 05:42:59 PM

IAMHUGE is/was the GOAT. I miss that guy. I miss him so damn much.
Agreed. So you are going to absolutely LOVE this. Worth 5 minutes of your time...

https://www.thetanktiger.com/our-team/