FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Machiavelli on December 11, 2019, 08:04:51 AM
Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 10, 2019, 10:18:57 PM
No one had Middlebury contending for the NESCAC this year--probably picked in the 4-6 range of a 10 team conference--and became the first team to go 9-0 since the league added the 9th game (a whopping 3 years ago). Middlebury had always run an Air Raid offense but their QB didn't have the arm for it so they retooled into a run-heavy offense despite the fact that they graduated 4 OL and the QB won POY.

I don't know anything about the LL or the rest of the region, but just felt obligated to share. Definitely an interesting pick from my limited knowledge, however.

Well, you seem like a good guy. How do you feel about TOP?

Yea, I'm not impressed with this Ritter character.  5th in the Nescac in TOP and 134th in the country? 

****ing joke.  These d3football.com jokers had the chance to name Mike Toop from Merchant Marine coach of the year where he averaged over 35 minutes a game in TOP.  That's third in the country folks.  THIRD IN THE COUNTRY.  I might need to take a leave of absence from the boards after this one.

For those diehard TOP fans, here is the 2019 Secretary's Cup where Merchant Marine had over 39 minutes of TOP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UUgiznnz0A

Jonny Utah

In all seriousness I would have went with the Union coaching staff but that's just me.  Maybe there was a slight dig at Union's non conference schedule, or the fact that Middlebury wasn't expected to win the Nescac.  Either way I thought winning the LL in the way Union did was more impressive. 

Bartman

Quote from: UfanBill on December 10, 2019, 02:06:28 PM
Quote from: Bartman on December 10, 2019, 12:42:07 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on December 10, 2019, 11:14:27 AM
Huh, Joe Germ named d3football.com offensive player of the year for the East region.
I think the LL Coaches have a better idea on who had the most impact , especially in critical games and that was Double I. The Germ is very talented , and  his  outstanding performance in the Hobart game makes me glad he won't be back next year. So, I counted 15 LL players on the ALL Region, with 5 for Ithaca(1 returning ), 5 for Union (4 returning) , 4 for Hobart(ALL RETURNING) and 1 for St. Lawrence(returning)....10 out of 15 returning should keep the LL competitive.

YES congratulations to ALL the Liberty League players that received recognition but I'm not in agreement with naming Middlebury coach Bob Ritter as East Region Coach of the Year. I'm sure he did a fine job but how can you ignore Union HC Jeff Behrman? Come on Pat, the NESCAC?

I would have loved to see Union WR Griffen Beal on that list. To me he was the true leader and in many ways the MVP of their offense. Well, I'm recognizing him.  ;D

Am I unaware of something? In looking at the Ithaca players all 5 are listed as seniors. Bartman who's returning? Is someone wrongly designated or coming back PG?

NO RPI players ???...pity  ;)
Mr. Bill,
     You are extremely observant....+k, I must have unconsciously assumed that Ithaca would be returning some Senior from some program and that player will be the designated  returnee...IC seems to have precedent established for the process.....no knock intended, just reporting the facts as a possible explanation for my error. 
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on December 11, 2019, 12:03:13 PM
Huh, Joe Germ named d3football.com offensive player of the year for the East region.
I think the LL Coaches have a better idea on who had the most impact , especially in critical games and that was Double I. The Germ is very talented , and  his  outstanding performance in the Hobart game makes me glad he won't be back next year. So, I counted 15 LL players on the ALL Region, with 5 for Ithaca(1 returning ), 5 for Union (4 returning) , 4 for Hobart(ALL RETURNING) and 1 for St. Lawrence(returning)....10 out of 15 returning should keep the LL competitive.

YES congratulations to ALL the Liberty League players that received recognition but I'm not in agreement with naming Middlebury coach Bob Ritter as East Region Coach of the Year. I'm sure he did a fine job but how can you ignore Union HC Jeff Behrman? Come on Pat, the NESCAC?

I would have loved to see Union WR Griffen Beal on that list. To me he was the true leader and in many ways the MVP of their offense. Well, I'm recognizing him.  ;D

Am I unaware of something? In looking at the Ithaca players all 5 are listed as seniors. Bartman who's returning? Is someone wrongly designated or coming back PG?

Mr. Bill,
     You are extremely observant....+k, I must have unconsciously assumed that Ithaca would be returning some Senior from some program and that player will be the designated  returnee...IC seems to have precedent established for the process.....no knock intended, just reporting the facts as a possible explanation for my error.

Joe G. has entered Ithaca's Doctorate in Physical Therapy program for the Spring Semester in hopes that he can be eligible next fall.  Word is he wants to play free safety for the bombers....

unionpalooza

It's pretty cool that both Union and Hobart have so many all-region players returning.  Of the Union 5, 2 are juniors and 2 are sophomores.  (Plus you have Ross as a SO.). Indeed, Union returns everyone on offense next year except for Beal.  (He'll be missed, but with the emergence of FR WR Finn Duran as another weapon at the end of this year, they'll be fine.). Only about half the defense returns, but Union has made good strides in depth there in recent years, so I wouldn't expect too much of a step backward.  (Indeed, I'm hoping the secondary, which was the weak point, can take a step up.)

And Bartman, I'm very high on Hobart going into next year.  This year, they reminded me a lot of Union last year - lots of talent but green, and figuring it as the year went on.

Finally, on all-region coach, I'm obviously a Behrman fan.  11-1 with an NCAA victory is pretty good for a team picked to finish fourth in the LL.

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 11, 2019, 08:45:43 AM
In all seriousness I would have went with the Union coaching staff but that's just me.  Maybe there was a slight dig at Union's non conference schedule, or the fact that Middlebury wasn't expected to win the Nescac.  Either way I thought winning the LL in the way Union did was more impressive.

Consensus around here has got to be Union HC as coach of the year.  Can't possibly ding Union for their OOC  record, especially since Midd gets to play the BBC trio on an annual basis. 

Doid23

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 10, 2019, 09:00:43 AM

Yea I'm surprised we haven't heard any talk of Mount Union looking to drop their program entirely.  Real sad to see what's going on up there.
Yeah, but what would happen to the 61 players on their Freshman Team?

Doid23

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 10, 2019, 02:11:07 PM
We still consider the NESCAC part of Division III and the East Region until told otherwise, though.
Yeah, but to be fair, do they consider themselves part of DIII? Does their region even matter, since they don't participate in the playoffs?

unionpalooza

Quote from: Doid23 on December 11, 2019, 02:35:15 PM

Yea I'm surprised we haven't heard any talk of Mount Union looking to drop their program entirely.  Real sad to see what's going on up there.

This reminded of something I meant to look up after learning that Wesley's total student population is just 1,000.  Which program has the highest percentage of enrolled undergrads on the football team?

Jonny Utah

Quote from: unionpalooza on December 11, 2019, 02:46:18 PM
Quote from: Doid23 on December 11, 2019, 02:35:15 PM

This reminded of something I meant to look up after learning that Wesley's total student population is just 1,000.  Which program has the highest percentage of enrolled undergrads on the football team?

That would be interesting to know.  The d3fooball team pages have a good look at schools enrollments.  A quick glance shows Iowa Wesleyan as having 543 students with 70 or so on the football team....

Bethany and MacMurray also have about 500 students with football teams.

Ice Bear

Ice Bear played a game of mum ball yesterday with his class. Students were getting pissed when they dropped the ball and were told to sit down. Ice calmy reminded them that staying in until the end really doesn't matter for ****...it's how long the ball is in your possession that dictates the true winner, the true ****ing champion. They looked at Ice dumbfounded...so much to learn...so ****ing much to learn and so many damn snow days.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

UfanBill

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 11, 2019, 12:16:25 PM
Joe G. has entered Ithaca's Doctorate in Physical Therapy program for the Spring Semester in hopes that he can be eligible next fall.  Word is he wants to play free safety for the bombers....

He probably has eligibility for track or how about baseball? Undoubtedly the Bombers strong baseball team could use a helluva pinch runner...If he's enrolled.  ;)
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Union coach Jeff Behrman received a Regional Coach of the Year award from the American Football Coaches Association. He was named the Division III Region 1 winner. Highly deserving.  8-)

https://www.afca.com/matt-entz-steve-ryan-headline-2019-afca-fcs-d2-d3-naia-regional-coach-of-the-year-winners/
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Pat Coleman

Quote from: UfanBill on December 11, 2019, 04:56:49 PM

He probably has eligibility for track or how about baseball? Undoubtedly the Bombers strong baseball team could use a helluva pinch runner...If he's enrolled.  ;)

Strikes me as more of a power-hitting first baseman.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bartman

Quote from: Bartman on December 11, 2019, 12:03:13 PM

Mr. Bill,

Jonny,
   I know you are an IC Football Insider, but really ,c'mon, you think Joe G would play football for "free" next year?? Are you sure that's not a Doctorate in TOP.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath