Pool C

Started by usee, October 25, 2010, 02:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usee

I just listened to the ATN podcast and Pat and Keith do a nice job laying out the Pool C discussion as well as potential Regional Rankings (which will be released in version 1 this Wednesday). So it's time to get the discussion going.

According to Pat/Keith, the current possible Pool C teams in order (based on Strength of Schedule numbers) are:

Ohio Northern
Rowan
Wheaton (assume 9-1)
Coe
Redlands
St Johns Fisher
Bethel
Hardin Simmons
Pac Lutheran
Baldwin Wallace (in case they shock the world in week 10)
Central
Randolph Macon

What's distinctly possible this year (as opposed to years past) is that several 9-1 teams may not get into the playoffs. Heading that possible list would be North Central should they lose to Wheaton. NCC's SOS numbers are signifcantly below anyone on this list (which currently has more names than Pool C slots available). What's also worth mentioning is the fact that this list will likely both expand and contract each week as teams lose and drop off  and other undefeateds join this group.

02 Warhawk

how many pool C bids are distributed?

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AUKaz00

If Norwich beats SUNY-Maritime on Saturday, both could end with 1 loss.  Norwich would likely be the third Pool B selection (unless Salisbury beats Wesley or the committee takes a two-loss team over a one-loss).  That would leave Maritime as a one-loss Pool C candidate, though I would think they would be the very bottom of the one-loss candidates.
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

Ralph Turner

There is a distinct possibility that the South Region could not get a Pool C bid this year.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 25, 2010, 09:50:56 PM
There is a distinct possibility that the South Region could not get a Pool C bid this year.

Unless HSU stumbles, you don't think they are a lock?

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 25, 2010, 09:50:56 PM

What's the chances that Ursinus would get one if they lose to Muhlenburgh, the Mules get the Pool A and Ursinus ends up 9-1?

usee

They are 8th on the list above for 6 slots. Isn't that "not a lock"??

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: USee on October 25, 2010, 10:28:56 PM
They are 8th on the list above for 6 slots. Isn't that "not a lock"??

The seriously flawed SoS is only one criterion.  My view is that the selection committee DOES sometimes employ common sense (not always, but sometimes).  A 9-1 HSU would almost certainly be among the top 2-3 pool C candidates by common sense.

Recognizing that 'common sense' and 'NCAA' rarely fit well in the same sentence, I would still contend they are a lock unless they stumble. ;)  [Especially since some above them undoubtedly WILL stumble.]

HScoach

Assuming North Central beats Wheaton as expected and the rest finish the season 9-1, I think the first three Pool C selections would be:

1.  Hardin Simmons
2.  Ohio Northern
3.  Wheaton

After that, it gets interesting.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

usee

The NCAA doesn't use common sense. They use criteria. And by the criteria HSU does not appear to be a lock. Sorry.

Ursinus would be slotted right after HSU in the list above so they would be in the conversation.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: HScoach on October 25, 2010, 10:51:01 PM
Assuming North Central beats Wheaton as expected and the rest finish the season 9-1, I think the first three Pool C selections would be:

1.  Hardin Simmons
2.  Ohio Northern
3.  Wheaton

After that, it gets interesting.

I agree with that...i might also add Bethel to that if they will out. Their only loss would be a close one to St. Thomas. After that a team from the IIAC might take an pool C bid. Then the 6th and final bid is up for debate.

sju56321

Won't NCC get a nice jump in SOS by playing Wheaton?
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: sju56321 on October 26, 2010, 02:56:11 PM

Their SOS will definitely increase, that's for sure.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 26, 2010, 03:00:22 PM
Quote from: sju56321 on October 26, 2010, 02:56:11 PM

Their SOS will definitely increase, that's for sure.

As will SJF's after playing Springfield team that will end up 8-2...

Rowan's will take a hit with their last three games vs teams with a combined 3 wins...