FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

You folks must be on an extended "recent holiday vacation!" :)  No one has mentioned any reaction to Oberlin's HC Anderson leaving to return to DII Notre Dame College (and one of his assistants going with him there as well.)  Oberlin had some new assistant coaches this past year who joined in 2019.  Do you think they will keep it in house or go for someone outside the program?

Certainly, much change going on in numerous coaching staffs.  The former Notre Dame HC, who had them going far into the DII National Championship Playoffs the last two years (semifinals last year and quarterfinals this year) left to take over DII Lenoir-Ryne in North Carolina and he took 2-3 of his assistants with him.  NDC has done quite well after starting a program from scratch just a few years ago. LR had made the playoffs this year as well.  The LR HC was hired as HC at DI scholarship Mercer University in Georgia and took some of his assistants there (Mercer, which reinstated football back in 2011 after a  many decades absence) after being in the non-scholarship Pioneer League their first year, went full scholarship and play in the conference with The Citadel, Furman, etc. (they lost to NC this year), but fired their HC who had been there since the reinstatement of the program.  They get anywhere from 6,000-10,000+ to their home games.  Anyway, crazy moves in the "Coaching Carousel" all over in every division! I feel sorry for (in some sense) those coaches wives!  Moving every 2-3 years in some cases has to be tough.

Anyway, thought's on Oberlin?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

Quote from: formerd3db on January 23, 2020, 04:53:19 PM
You folks must be on an extended "recent holiday vacation!" :)  No one has mentioned any reaction to Oberlin's HC Anderson leaving to return to DII Notre Dame College (and one of his assistants going with him there as well.)  Oberlin had some new assistant coaches this past year who joined in 2019.  Do you think they will keep it in house or go for someone outside the program?

Certainly, much change going on in numerous coaching staffs.  The former Notre Dame HC, who had them going far into the DII National Championship Playoffs the last two years (semifinals last year and quarterfinals this year) left to take over DII Lenoir-Ryne in North Carolina and he took 2-3 of his assistants with him.  NDC has done quite well after starting a program from scratch just a few years ago. LR had made the playoffs this year as well.  The LR HC was hired as HC at DI scholarship Mercer University in Georgia and took some of his assistants there (Mercer, which reinstated football back in 2011 after a  many decades absence) after being in the non-scholarship Pioneer League their first year, went full scholarship and play in the conference with The Citadel, Furman, etc. (they lost to NC this year), but fired their HC who had been there since the reinstatement of the program.  They get anywhere from 6,000-10,000+ to their home games.  Anyway, crazy moves in the "Coaching Carousel" all over in every division! I feel sorry for (in some sense) those coaches wives!  Moving every 2-3 years in some cases has to be tough.

Anyway, thought's on Oberlin?

Oberlin is in the North Coast -- you may have better luck there.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

True, meant to post it there-thanks for noting that for me Pat. (That's what I get for doing this on my phone keyboard!) Anyway, will post it over on NCAV board but since it is here now, would be interested in what others opinions are in general, overall.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Baldini on December 17, 2019, 12:09:01 PM
2020 NACC-MIAA Challenge Series games to be played on Sept. 19th.

Albion @ Aurora
Adrian @ Benedictine
Olivet @ Eureka
Hope @ Concordia-Chicago
Kalamazoo @ Concordia-Wisconsin
Finlandia @ Lakeland
Alma @ Wisconsin Lutheran
Trine @ Rockford

Additional NACC non-conferences games. (Subject to change)

Aurora - @ St. John's and UW-River Falls
Benedictine - Rose-Hulman and St. Thomas (Minn.)
Eureka - @ MacMurray
Lakeland - @ Lawrence
Concordia-Wisconsin - @ Martin Luther and @ Beloit
Concordia-Chicago - Beloit and @ Chicago
Wisconsin Lutheran - @ Lake Forest and Martin Luther

Updated Non-Cons

Eureka: @ Knox
Lakeland: vs Illinois College
Rockford: @ Grinnell vs Greenville

Conference Breakdown: MIAA: 8, Midwest: 8, UMAC: 4, HCAC: 1, WIAC: 1, MIAC: 1 Independent: 1,
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Ryan Stoppable

Take this for whatever it's worth - and a couple months out yet, I feel like that's not a whole lot? - but the NACC is optimistic that we'll have some #NACCtion this fall.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

RFMichigan

The MIAA announced that they would be playing a "predominantly conference schedule for fall sports: cross country, football, men's and women's golf, men's and women's soccer, and volleyball." I'm thinking this may cancel the MIAA-NACC Challenge football games?

formerd3db

Quote from: RFMichigan on July 01, 2020, 08:17:57 AM
The MIAA announced that they would be playing a "predominantly conference schedule for fall sports: cross country, football, men's and women's golf, men's and women's soccer, and volleyball." I'm thinking this may cancel the MIAA-NACC Challenge football games?

I would wager that likely does.😉☹️

jamtod

Benedictine's non-conference matchup with St Thomas has been cancelled, as the MIAC is going to a conference-only schedule (for now).

Ryan Stoppable

Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

WW

NACC says it'll play ball this winter. Ah, Sheboygan in February...

"In the sports of football, men's and women's soccer, and women's volleyball, the NACC has adopted plans to conduct Conference regular-season and postseason events that will take place after January 1, 2021. For football and men's and women's soccer, scheduling will be divisionally-focused, while women's volleyball will contest a full single round-robin schedule coordinated with a revised NACC men's volleyball slate. As NCAA Division III has canceled national championships in these sports, all NACC programs that sponsor these sports will have the opportunity to participate in a NACC postseason tournament, although these tournaments will be flighted with teams qualifying for specific flights based on their finish in the final league/divisional standings."

Pat Coleman

Those games are scheduled for March 20, March 27, April 3, April 10 and April 17:
https://www.d3football.com/conf/NACC/2020/schedule
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

Rhythm21

https://youtu.be/EoeUvJ-l0y8

Been awhile, and still a ways to go until the condensed NACC season this Spring. I saw somebody post this game on FB and thought I'd share with everyone as starved for NACC football as I am. This was an instant classic, as Head Coach Don Beebe led the 2019 NACC champion Spartans to Minnesota and went toe-to-toe with national power St. John's. Enjoy!!!

And I haven't been able to go through the 2020 Spartan recruiting class as thoroughly as I had for past seasons, but I will be posting about some of the recruits soon. There's a linebacker from Chapparal High School that I'm excited about, a QB from Florida with a wicked strong arm, and more than a couple monster-sized Offensive linemen! It's tough to judge these players before they hit the field in royal blue and white, but from what I've seen so far, this class has the potential to be one of the most talented classes in AU football history.
AU Black and Blue

Rhythm21

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/aurora-beacon-news/sports/ct-abn-spt-football-au-recruiting-st-051520-20200514-m5dtw77onfepfa3l6muhapvzo4-story.html

Great article from back in May of last year on Coach Beebe's impact on local recruiting. Article mentions several in-area commits in 2020 including transfer WR Trey Madsen and Oswego OLineman Troy Warner along with several others. The talented local recruits mixed with the many out-of-staters has me impatient for March!
AU Black and Blue