FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertraider

RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Desertraider

Quote from: PurpleSuit on August 27, 2014, 09:57:26 AM
http://youtu.be/x0hLmbS6ILI

the second Mount Union camp video is out, this time following Gonell on defense.  Taurice Scott looks to be returning punts at one point in the video.

Good video. I saw Tom Lally (90). He looks to have adjusted to his body. He was real lean as Fr. and then put on like 60 pounds - was very slow. Looks like he has trimmed down a bit and regained some quickness. Who is the tackle to Scotts left? Don't have the number in front of me - but he looks like he has great size.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

HScoach

The WR corps should be scary good.   The 2014 season simply hangs on the D-line.   They will be the difference between the Raiders being just really good or championship caliber.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Raider 68

Quote from: HScoach on August 28, 2014, 12:05:07 PM
The WR corps should be scary good.   The 2014 season simply hangs on the D-line.   They will be the difference between the Raiders being just really good or championship caliber.

HScoach,

Could not have said it any better, now we see how the season unfolds for the Raiders! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

emma17

Question from an outsider's view:
It seems the Mt posters are very high on the receiver corp this year, however, I didn't see the type of playmakers on the 2013 team I'm accustomed to seeing- does Mt have a guy(s) in the mold of the 3 previous studs?

PurpleSuit

Quote from: emma17 on August 28, 2014, 01:31:35 PM

It seems the Mt posters are very high on the receiver corp this year, however, I didn't see the type of playmakers on the 2013 team I'm accustomed to seeing- does Mt have a guy(s) in the mold of the 3 previous studs?

Is there another NFL receiver on the roster? Probably not.  Namdar, Scott and a healthy Gainer will give Mount some playmakers on the outside.  Wilkinson gives a straight line deep threat.  Last year Meacham and Nichols were mainly underneath type receivers.  Only Nichols is leaving from last years group (Collichio too I guess). 

The depth at WR is going to be the strength, not having one top WR.  Meacham, Wilkinson, Gainer, Namdar, Scott are just the upperclassmen.  There were a couple of freshmen that played some varsity ball last year and a couple of transfers that could shake things up (Shimensky & Humphrey).

Pierre, Cecil and Jasper are going to keep Mount loaded at the position for the near future.   

Raider 68

Quote from: emma17 on August 28, 2014, 01:31:35 PM

emma17,

There is another Shorts on the roster, Cecil's brother is a freshman, but time will tell if he fills Cecil's shoes. HScoach is correct
the WR's as a group might be one of the better units Mount has had in awhile. The offense will be in the top five in the  D3 category, but
the key for the Raider's overall success will be the defense and that was the major off season focus since 12-20-13.

Knight Raider

Does anyone know how Mount Union looked at the WJ scrimmage this evening?

SaintsFAN

HScoach --

are you receiving PM's?
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

02 Warhawk

Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 29, 2014, 08:20:29 AM
HScoach --

are you receiving PM's?

He has had some mood swings and the cold sweats.  ;D

jknezek

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on August 29, 2014, 08:57:02 AM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 29, 2014, 08:20:29 AM
HScoach --

are you receiving PM's?

He has had some mood swings and the cold sweats.  ;D

solid. very solid. +K

Dr. Acula

As always, I will preface this with the fact that I'm not an X's and O's person.  I'm just taking away general impressions of what I saw as a whole.  So here are my thoughts from W&J:

Let's start with the good.  Burke looked really crisp throwing the ball.  I only saw a couple bad passes in his multiple series (one short hop and one behind Meacham).  Obviously in the no contact scrimmage format there wasn't much read option run so they did throw the ball quite a bit.  Scott played 2nd and looked decent throwing.  He made a few really nice throws including a couple on the run.  He didn't have time to sit on the pocket and throw like Burke did so it was hard to judge much on throwing.  Scott had a couple nice runs highlighted by a pretty long TD run where he scampered untouched for a score.

The main rotation at WR was Namdar and Wilkinson outside, Meacham, Scott and Gainer inside.  Those 5 rotated freely.  Namdar caught a deep TD and also a nice fade for a score too.  He looks very smooth.  Scott burned them down the seam for a long TD catch too.  I was actually very pleasantly surprised with him.  He looks pretty natural out there and his speed and athleticism are going to be an issue for DB's.

At RB Mitchell carried the ball (wisely) sparingly.  He did what he does and drew some Oh's and Ah's from the W&J folks.  Let him get hit a few times, but not a ton of work for him seemed to be the plan.  He looks a little bigger too.  Nemeth played next and had the run of the day when he took a shot at the LOS, spun out of it keeping his balance and took off about 50 yards for the score.  He ran hard and looked solid other than that.  Interestingly it was a freshmen, Jamal Johnson, who played next.  He is short and compact and, evidently, tough to bring down.  He's going to be a chore for Etta in the 4th qtr.

O line was a concern perhaps, but the first team looked very solid.  Much, much better than last year against W&J.  LT was Jenkins (So) and C was Doraty (So).  Frank and Mahoney back at G.  RT was Goff.  Not sure on the 2nd unit guys since I didn't have a roster or anything, but Scott was pressured with them up front quite a bit.

The million $ question is the D line.  I have bad news...I don't really know.  I'm not sophisticated enough on line play to judge.  Here's what I saw:  they were very good against the run.  That's expected.  They did also pressure the QB better, but not great.  BUT, W&J passed effectively against them and moved the ball well with their 1st teamers.  Now is this a product of being vanilla and sitting in some base D and not really blitzing?  Could be.  True to his word Kappas rotated quite a few guys.  Back up D line overmatched W&J's back ups and looked excellent.

The rest of the D looked pretty good.  Par for a scrimmage.  Bit on a move and got beat for a TD pass, let the starting QB scramble for a few too many yards (he's quick) when they got pressure, but as a whole looked pretty good.

Special teams looked good.  Kicking and punting were fine.  Kick coverage had one great cover and one poor one.  Scott returned a kick for what possibly would have been a TD (it was him and the kicker to beat when they whistled it) and I believe Nemeth returned the other kick out to nearly midfield.     

Raider 68

Dr, Acula,

Thanks for the write-up of the scrimmage. It is not far from what I expected to hear. The question still remains, do the Raiders
for 2014 have a better D-line than 2013. While I understand the need for deeper rotation, the ends to apply more QB pressure and
hopefully the Raiders have more size this year. In the playoffs in 2013, the were pushed around to much and it the DB's and LB's
were gassed from all the coverage. I hope the 4-3 is not just window dressing! In 2013, the blitz was non-existent, IMHO.

TailGate

Heard that Namdar was at QB when 2nd team O was in ?

Dr. Acula

Scott played QB after Burke.  Then #19 whoever that is.  Perhaps 19 was Namdar because when Scott switched to the red jersey he was #4 instead of 11 so maybe Namdar threw on 19 instead of 3?

Also, I noticed that Nemeth is #34.  I believe it was #24 who returned the kick I mentioned.  My mistake.