CAC 2019

Started by Ejay, July 19, 2018, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jknezek on February 04, 2020, 03:46:04 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 04, 2020, 03:00:10 PM
As I reported on Hoopsville, my sources say the CAC and ACAA agreed to a merger during the NCAA Convention. Could begin as soon as next academic year (20-21), but I don't know the details outside of that.

Considering my report was nearly two weeks ago and no one has told me I'm wrong ...

I think that concept is just so ugly we are all choosing to ignore it...

It might be ugly, but it secures the AQ.

Quote from: EB2319 on February 04, 2020, 04:19:45 PM
ACAA? So you would have Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Michigan, California?  And the schools want this?

No one said anything about in-season conference action. They are likely, in my opinion (still waiting on more info) to adopt the ACAA model and just play conference tournaments - determined by some formula (Massey ratings I believe) - for the AQ. Though, it also doesn't stop members in the CAC and those in the ACAA from playing each other as well helping the scheduling side of things (there are far more members in the ACAA on the East Coast, per se, than in any of the states you mention).

For the CAC, it holds on to the AQs it was in jeopardy of losing. For the ACAA, it gives them access, even if minute, to AQs they were never getting. And it allows all to keep a stronger presence in Division III on the whole (a conference seat as it where).

Plus, it allows for a stronger place for schools transitioning into DIII or transitioning to other conferences to come and possibly get their feet under them.

In the grand scheme of things ... this is the best option for all parties.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

A reminder per the ACAA: SUNY Delhi (NAC), Valley Forge (CSAC) are all leaving for other conferences next academic year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Mr.Right

So as long as a conference is formed there is no quota on the number of conference games u play?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Mr.Right on February 12, 2020, 06:33:23 AM
So as long as a conference is formed there is no quota on the number of conference games u play?

No quota ... there was talk of adding one when the ACAA was formed due to ... it's unique set-up, but that has since died down best I can tell (and the number originally proposed was way too high for many, I suspect). I also have a feeling every conference would have had to get grandfathered in and that wouldn't have really solved anything.

The only requirements for a conference are four-core members and a minimum of seven members for an AQ (with a two-year clock started once it dips below seven members after earning the AQ).

Christan Shirk

OK, I got interrupted mid-reply and D-Mac beat my to it, but here it is anyway . . .

At present, there aren't any rules or regulations that require a certain number of conference games to be played for a conference to be eligible for an automatic berth (AQ).  Getting an AQ is predominately based on a conference having at least seven eligible members participating in a given sport, at least four of which are core members. The Great South Athletic Conference (GSAC) in its final years not too long ago and now currently the American Collegiate Athletic Association (ACAA) have cobbled together geographically dispersed schools and held year-end conference tournaments without any regular season play. Until now, conferences with this type of arrangement have never managed to reach and maintain the required number of members to become AQ eligible. But, the CAC absorbing the ACAA schools would make that possible.

For men's soccer, the conference would have 7 eligible members (6 core + 1 assoc.) in 2020 as follows:
CAC (3) - Christopher Newport, Mary Washington, Salisbury (core members)
ACAA (3+1=4) - Finlandia, Pine Manor, UC-Santa Cruz (core members) and UW-Whitewater (associate member for men's soccer)  [Note: in 2021, Pratt would be in their third year of provisional membership and would start counting towards the requirements, so the conference could withstand another defection a year from now and still maintain their AQ.]

Now , returning to the idea of a required number of conference regular season matches, as reported in the D3soccer.com article What's new in 2019  (d3soccer.prestosports.com/columns/christan-shirk/2019/new-in-2019), there had been some interest in establishing such a requirement:
Quote• Policy is being drafted to require conference members to compete against conference opponents in order to earn the conference's automatic berth. The initial working group recommendation called for teams to schedule regular season contests against at least 70% of their conference members that sponsor a given sport to be eligible to earn the conference's automatic berth into the NCAA championship. The Championships Committee supports the notion of establishing a percentage threshold for automatic qualification but wasn't prepared to formally endorse what that threshold should be and asked that data be provided on the current percentage of conference opponents that members play in order to determine an appropriate benchmark. Note that this would not directly impact a conference's eligibility to receive an automatic berth, but rather which members can be awarded that berth. Even a more moderate threshold like 50% would prevent a conference from awarding an automatic berth on the basis of just an end-of-season tournament, and that eliminates some, but not all, the motivation for a geographically-dispersed conference to be formed. Any new policy would likely only be implemented starting with the 2021/22 school year.

According to D-Mac's post above, prusuit of such a policy may have died down.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Ejay

I'm hearing Salisbury is likely headed to the NJAC.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - the rule about transitioning programs counting towards conference membership was changed at the NCAA convention. Moving forward, any program transitioning into DIII will count as a conference member as soon as they join a conference - so, even in year 1 of their transition to Division III.

Also changing is the four-year process is now a three-year process (baring a school needing to repeat a year). That was also approved at the NCAA convention last month for both those transitioning from within the NCAA (DII or DI) and those from outside the NCAA.

There will be some new members that join this group as they transition into Division III. I know of at least one who has applied this year, but I don't have the details nor is my info shareable. I also know of a few others who have had their eye on the division and I think the change from a four-year to a three-year process could be helpful. This "new" conference could be very helpful in being a place for schools to transition into DIII ... get their feet wet and get accustomed to things, before moving on or staying in the conference (depending on many factors specific to those individual schools).

Quote from: EB2319 on February 12, 2020, 02:01:33 PM
I'm hearing Salisbury is likely headed to the NJAC.

Not happening. Period. End of story. They may be applying to satisfy their president (to tell them they did it), but several things cut this idea out of any chance of being realistic. First, the NJAC has a rule that full-time conference members have to be New Jersey state schools and the entire conference would have to change that rule to allow otherwise. The second, why in the world would ANY sport other than football in the NJAC want to add a trip to Salisbury to their schedules for conference play?

It isn't happening. I've been told that by no less than a dozen people.

Christan Shirk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 12, 2020, 02:06:22 PM
FYI - the rule about transitioning programs counting towards conference membership was changed at the NCAA convention. Moving forward, any program transitioning into DIII will count as a conference member as soon as they join a conference - so, even in year 1 of their transition to Division III.

Also changing is the four-year process is now a three-year process (baring a school needing to repeat a year). That was also approved at the NCAA convention last month for both those transitioning from within the NCAA (DII or DI) and those from outside the NCAA.

I knew that the provisional and reclassifying membership processes were being shortened to three years, but forgot.  So thanks for that reminder.  What I didn't know was that provisional and reclassifying members would count towards AQ eligibility requirements from year 1.  So that is good to know. Thanks.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Christan Shirk on February 12, 2020, 03:20:51 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 12, 2020, 02:06:22 PM

I knew that the provisional and reclassifying membership processes were being shortened to three years, but forgot.  So thanks for that reminder.  What I didn't know was that provisional and reclassifying members would count towards AQ eligibility requirements from year 1.  So that is good to know. Thanks.

Yep... part of what I do. :)

Ejay

CAC expansion announced...
https://www.cacsports.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200420cw0nca

The Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) will expand to 11 member institutions as league officials announced on Tuesday (May 26) that six schools have accepted invitations to join the CAC and will become official members effective June 15, 2020.

The CAC Board of Directors voted unanimously to offer full membership to six members of the American Collegiate Athletic Conference (ACAA), including: University of California-Santa Cruz, Finlandia University (Mich.), Mills College (Calif.), Mount Mary University (Wisc.), Pine Manor College (Mass.) and Pratt Institute (N.Y.).

The CAC will consist of 11 full-time members for the 2020-21 academic year. The Conference will reduce to eight in 21-22 when Southern Virginia University, St. Mary's College of Maryland and Pine Manor College depart. Christopher Newport University, University Mary Washington and Salisbury University will remain with the Conference along with the incoming members from the ACAA.

OldNed

Quote from: EB2319 on May 26, 2020, 02:19:40 PM
CAC expansion announced...
https://www.cacsports.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200420cw0nca

The Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) will expand to 11 member institutions as league officials announced on Tuesday (May 26) that six schools have accepted invitations to join the CAC and will become official members effective June 15, 2020.

The CAC Board of Directors voted unanimously to offer full membership to six members of the American Collegiate Athletic Conference (ACAA), including: University of California-Santa Cruz, Finlandia University (Mich.), Mills College (Calif.), Mount Mary University (Wisc.), Pine Manor College (Mass.) and Pratt Institute (N.Y.).

The CAC will consist of 11 full-time members for the 2020-21 academic year. The Conference will reduce to eight in 21-22 when Southern Virginia University, St. Mary's College of Maryland and Pine Manor College depart. Christopher Newport University, University Mary Washington and Salisbury University will remain with the Conference along with the incoming members from the ACAA.

Wow - talk about a geographically dispersed conference. 

Gregory Sager

Yeah, it makes the UAA look like a block party. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ejay

Q: Will member schools compete in regular-season competition?
A: No

Q: How will championship events be conducted?
A: Championship host sites will be pre-determined at the start of each year.

For the 2020-21 academic year, in tournaments where six teams compete, the top four CAC teams as determined by conference standings will qualify for the championship. Massey Ratings will then be used for seeding.

For the 2020-21 academic year, the top two teams from the ACAA, using Massey Ratings, will advance to the conference tournament.

Beginning with the 2021-22 academic year, seeding in conference tournaments will be done solely by the Massey Ratings.

The host institution is automatically invited to the championship tournament in both years.

Gregory Sager

Yep. As I said on one of the men's basketball boards, this is a gold-star day for Ken Massey, as his computer algorithm is now an integral part of the official D3 landscape.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We have reported on this move since January on Hoopsville - and on the basketball boards - as we had it confirmed. We have just been patiently waiting for them to announce it.

I like that they called this an expansion when in reality it is a merger. LOL

As for Massey Ratings ... ACAA has been using that template for awhile. We mentioned on the show that it was the most logical (some way of determining your qualifying teams) way to do it.

It will also change as the conference will change in terms of membership quite a bit over the next few years. Pine Manor probably only has one year of existence remaining. There are three new members coming to DIII (Bob Jones, Warren Wilson, Manor) and at least one of them I am confident will be coming to the new-CAC, but all three could easily be there for a few years before moving to other conference homes. The conference will be a bit of a transitional place for schools moving forward.