Division III cross country

Started by Harrier, July 15, 2006, 10:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harrier

When does the Cross Country chat begin?

Any predictions for the fall?

Pat Coleman

Now sounds good. I've moved it into a discussion of its own.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Grutte Dirk

Thanks Pat.

Before making predictions, any news of recruits and tranfers, or the healed and injured?

Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

Harrier

Oval

MEN's TEAM:
1st - Calvin
2nd - (W) La Crosse
3rd - Wartburg
4th - Hamline
5th - North Central
6th - Tufts
7th - Wheaton (IL)
8th - Anderson
9th - (W) Oshkosh
10th - Haverford

MEN's INDIVIDUAL:
gold - Mooch (Widener)
silver - Abdallah (NYU)
bronze - Hird (North Central)

Flea

After reading the Men's 2006 results dozens of times since Novemeber I've put together this little guesswork.  I don't know which 2006 track men have eligibility this fall.

In the hunt for the team title:

It seems like it's a battle between the Knights of the round table.

-- Wartburg: they return the 2, 3, 4 and 6 runners from their 2006 6th-place team.  When their 5th man comes to the forefront and they use the karma left by Moen and Buttry; they challenge for the title.
... 2006 t&f men: Tim McKenna (5k-14:46/3k steeple-9:12)...Patrick Johnson (5k-14:45/3k steeple-9:11)...Keith Solverson (5k-14:44)

-- Calvin: the top-7 from 2005 could be back.  With their experienced coaches the bitter taste of 2005 they'll be tough to beat. 
... 2006 t&f men: Todd Schuster (800m-1:53)...Jed Christiansen (5k-14:41/10k-30:48)...Tim Finnegan (5k-14:39/10k-30:20)...Harrison Jorritsma (5k-14:47/10k-30:48)...Nate DeHaan (3k steeple-9:22)

The battle for bronze:

-- (W) La Crosse: the 2005 champs ruturn 2 of their top-5 (3 and 4).  They're used to bringing how trophies. 
... 2006 t&f men: Andrew Boldt (800m-1:52)...Dan Haumschild (800m-1:52)...Mike Herlihy (3k steeple-9:06)...Bill Walkowicz (3k steeple-9:18)...Kevin Olejar (3k steeple-9:22)

-- Hamline: the one team with a chance to break into the top-2.  Seems like they spent their spring getting ready for the fall, not too deep on the oval this spring. 
... 2006 t&f men: Travis Bristow (3k steeple-9:13)

-- Tufts: tough on the top-end.  They need to find 3-7.  Heard they may have two recruits in their top-5.
... 2006 t&f men: Chris Kantos (5k-14:43/10k-31:02)...Josh Kennedy (10k-30:56)...Matt Lacey (10k-31:06)

-- North Central: returning four men for their last season–that, along with the always present NCC youngsters stepping-up, could put a trophy on the Cardnials bus.
... 2006 t&f men: Adam Pennington (800m-1:51)...Julius White (800m-1:51)...Andy Hubner (800m-1:52/1500m-3:51)...Roland Hopkins (1500m-3:54)...Nick Hird (5k-14:38)...Chris Bosworth (10k-31:09)

-- Haverford: returning 2-4.  The kings of the middle distance still takes its lumps in the fall.
... 2006 t&f men: Sam Dalke 3:52 (1500m-3:52)...Bernie Muller (10k-30:56)...Grant Scott (3k steeple-9:06)

seventiesraider

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

Harrier

Calvin coach Meyer stepping down

Wednesday, August 02, 2006
By Howie Beardsley
The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Successful women's cross country coach Nancy Meyer is stepping down after 20 years to devote more time to her duties as Calvin's women's athletics director and to her family....

....Meyer will be replaced by former three-time Olympic steeplechaser Brian Diemer, a former South Christian and University of Michigan star. Diemer will remain as co-coach of the Knights' men's cross country team with Al Hoekstra....

....Meyer's part-time assistant coaching job will include administrative duties for the women's and men's teams....

....Since 1986, Diemer and Hoekstra guided the Calvin's men's cross country to Division III championships in 2000, '03 and '04, four national runners-up showings, nine top-four efforts, 19 MIAA titles and 17 Great Lakes Regional crowns....

....The upcoming season also will mark the first time Calvin fields junior varsity cross country teams. They will be directed by former Calvin All-American and Godwin Heights graduate Robert Hyde.

please click on the title for the entire article

Preto

Two head coaches, an assistant coach and a jv coach for CROSS COUNTRY!?  Who else has that kind of staffing?

seventiesraider

I'm our high school boys/girls, junior high boys/girls "Head" cross country coach. I also drive the van. What's an assistant cross country coach?? ;D

seventiesraider

FPM

Quote from: seventiesraider on August 14, 2006, 03:27:47 PM
I'm our high school boys/girls, junior high boys/girls "Head" cross country coach. I also drive the van. What's an assistant cross country coach?? ;D

Junior High coach then you better add baby-sitter to the list

seventiesraider

You must be reading my mail - baby sitter, counselor et al :'(

zonescantstopme

Im a D3 bball player going into my sr year.  Do you think running this cc season will help me out this year for bball??  I ve heard no because bball and cc is two totally different types of running any suggestions

seventiesraider

Cross countrywill improve your general conditioning and your endurance. I have several BB players on my squad. If you have a good coach for cc, you might learn things about training that probably wern't important to your bball coaches. IMHO