MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massd3fan

Well, I am offline until later tonight.  Will you be attending the Game at MIT tonight, Hugenerd?  If so, Enjoy!!!  If not, i thought i did see a video link for it on the D3Hoops homepage.

Hugenerd

Likely I wont be able to because of family commitments.  I dont mean to burst your bubble, but I think the video link might just be the MIT audio link, but I could be wrong (MIT has never had video in the past).

Hugenerd

MIT up 34-27 at the half.

Hugenerd

Billy Bender of all people hits the game tying shot with under 5 seconds left.  Going to OT in Cambridge.

MIT trailed by as many as 7 late in the second half but big 3s by Karraker, Billy Johnson, and then 3 FTs by Bartolotta after being fouled on a 3 tied the game.  Jevon James hit 2 FTs to give CGA the lead with under a minute left but Bender tied it with his last second 12 footer.

Hugenerd

Looks like MIT might actually pull this one out.  MIT was up by 3 with under 10 seconds left and elected to foul this time (perhaps learning from past mistakes).  Hudson missed both FTs, but CGA was able to rebound, Hudson missed the resulting 3, but Bartolotta rebounded, was fouled, and made the first of two, sealing it for MIT.

Final: MIT 66, CGA 62 in OT

Hugenerd

Bartolotta 21 points (but a dismal shooting night, worst on the year, shooting 5-19 from the field), 12 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2 assists, 3 steals, and only 1 turnover.  Bartolotta really made up for it on the defensive end though, grabbing 10 defensive boards and blocking, what I believe is a career high, 5 shots (including one at the end of OT on Craig Johnson).

Brad Gampel played oustanding at the point, adding 9 assists to his Institute record single-season assist total, while committing not a single turnover.  Jamie Karraker really stepped up with some big play down the stretch and finished with 15 points.  Billy Johnson added 16 points and 8 boards, while Billy Bender had 8 and 4.

Craig Johnson had 19 points and 14 rebounds. Jevon James had 11 and 10, while Trip Fernandez chipped in 11 points off the bench.

Uncharacterestically, MIT shot 9-33 from 3 for the game (2-15 in the second half). No one really shot well for MIT, except Billy Bender who was 3-5 and made that huge shot to tie it at the end of regulation.  MIT was fortunate they took care of the ball so well today, or else they easily could have dropped this one.  The difference was FT shooting, MIT was 15-19 while CGA shot 10-20.  Both teams didnt shoot that great and CGA had the advantage on the boards, but MIT made their FTs down the stretch (along with a few timely 3s) and were able to squeze out a victory. 

If the game had gone to another OT, MIT was in real trouble because all 3 of their seniors had 4 fouls (Gampel, Johnson and Bartolotta).

Hugenerd

Babson and Springfield also won in other action.

Limeup for Saturday (both games at WPI):

Babson vs. MIT

Springfield vs. WPI

Hugenerd

Here is the press release from ESPN/CoSida:

http://www.cosida.com/documents/2009/2/25/2008-09MBBAAATeams.pdf

Bartolotta was named the Academic All-America of the Year today.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hugenerd on February 25, 2009, 04:15:43 PM
Quote from: massd3fan on February 25, 2009, 04:11:18 PM
From what a couple of WPI supporters told me over the weekend, WPI's gym is used for the Mass. HS tournaments so I don't think they can host at the school.  I am not sure if using the DCU center in Worcester is a possibilty or not.

I guess they could give the hosting gig to WPI and then say Elms is the #1 seed.  I think I heard of similar instances in the past (where a team had to wear road uniforms in their own gym), although I forget which board I read that on.
You heard that from me, hugenerd. It was in the women's tournament about 15 years ago that I was working.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

This is really odd -- I see Babson no longer has a guy on their roster, Papalambros, who was a key contributor early in the season.  What is stranger is that his stats are not included in the team stats ...

http://babsonathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/2008-09/stats/teamcume.htm

I imagine he is no longer on the team, but is it customary to simply erase stats from a player because of that?  I have NEVER heard of that before ... for example MIT still has Soumare's stats listed ...

P.S. glad to see MIT learned to play the odds and foul up 3 ... I mean if MIT won't do the statistically correct thing, who will?  Now all we need is some smart, fearless D-III football coach to totally forego punting other than when he is inside his own 25 yard line or has longer than a 4th and 8 or so ...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: nescac1 on February 26, 2009, 07:20:27 AM
I imagine he is no longer on the team, but is it customary to simply erase stats from a player because of that?  I have NEVER heard of that before ... for example MIT still has Soumare's stats listed ...

I wouldn't say it's customary but I've certainly seen it happen before.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hugenerd

Quote from: nescac1 on February 26, 2009, 07:20:27 AM
This is really odd -- I see Babson no longer has a guy on their roster, Papalambros, who was a key contributor early in the season.  What is stranger is that his stats are not included in the team stats ...

http://babsonathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/2008-09/stats/teamcume.htm

P.S. glad to see MIT learned to play the odds and foul up 3 ... I mean if MIT won't do the statistically correct thing, who will?  Now all we need is some smart, fearless D-III football coach to totally forego punting other than when he is inside his own 25 yard line or has longer than a 4th and 8 or so ...

Yeah, it seems pretty odd to complete expunge somebody from the system, especially since he is still listed on the NEWMAC site (he must have really upset somebody in the program):

http://www.newmacsports.com/sports/mbkb/2008-09/stats/confldrs.htm

Also, the foul at the end of the game may not have been coach mandated, but rather a head's up play from the player.  From what I hear, the MIT defender was aware that he was guarding a bad free throw shooter, but only fouled when he was beaten off the dribble.  So rather than give up an easy 2 he forced him to take 2 FTs, which kind of worked for MIT (he missed both FTs, but CGA got the rebound, but they luckily missed the resulting 3 attempt).  Coach Anderson is a pretty traditional coach so I am sure he would have told his players to play solid D, and 8 seconds left is still a pretty long time to foul intentionally (the usual rule of thumb is under 5 seconds).  Hopefully MIT can continue their season with another win on Saturday versus Babson.  The last game was close and came down to a last second shot for Babson to win at home.  Babson wont have the home court this time and im hoping MIT will shoot a little better than 27% from 3, as they were against CGA (MIT was actually 20% from 3, 6-29, through the first 37.5 minutes of the game, but were 3-4 in the final 7.5 minutes to help them pull out the win).

massd3fan

Hugenerd,

Congrads to MIT, they certainly gave everyone their money's worth!

Also a quick salute to Craig Johnson.  The end of an outstanding career at CGA.

It seems like last night was a night for a couple of freshmen to bail out their senior leaders!  Bender with his clutch bucket to send the MIT game into OT.  Kris Noonan put up 20 against Wheaton on a bad shooting night for Zach Etten.

I didnt have the correct video program to get the MIT/CGA game, so I just had live stats up on the Babson/Wheaton & Springfield/Clark games.  I sort of followed the games as I was also organizing all our tax forms and other relevant documents for the accountant.  As depressing as that was, I was glad to see a couple of exciting games going on.

I am looking forward to a WPI/MIT matchup on Sunday, but both teams had better seriously focus on Saturday.  If they look past the semis, they might be watching the finals instead of playing in them!

atn alum

Audio webcast of both NEWMAC semis and the title game will be available at

http://sportsjuice.com

We'll have a few interviews as well, including a nice one with Jimmy Bartolotta that we'll play in between the 2 games, and probably at half of the MIT game too.

Feel free to email the broadcaster during the game: cgbears2008(at)aol.com

Hugenerd

NICEEEEE!

What a great day of hoops, that I missed completely!  (It was my daughter's second birthday yesterday so this weekend is hectic).

First off, Springfield beats WPI to start off the NEWMAC Semis (by 15 nonetheless), and then MIT beats Babson after trailing by 5 with under 8 minutes to go and their best player being held to a season low 13 points.

Another Pool C bid gone for somebody, but I am sure MIT and Springfield don't care. 

One concern for MIT will likely be that they have had their two worst 3-point shooting (and possibly overall shooting) games of the season the last two games.  Additionally, their best two offensive players have not played that well in that span either.  However, a bright spot, again, was Brad Gampel with 9 points, 4 assists, and 8 steals.  Jamie Karraker also played great, shooting 4 for 6 from 3.

Congrats to Brad Gampel for breaking the single-season steals record at MIT, to go along with the assists record he broke earlier in the season.

Good Luck tomorrow MIT!!!!    I wont be able to watch or listen (daughter's birthday party) but I am pulling for you guys to get it done.