MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Just Bill on April 29, 2010, 10:30:01 PM
$4.1 million for two chairs!!  They better damn well be gold-plated, diamond-encrusted, single-flush thrones!

Fixed it for you, Bill.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Just Bill

These boots are made for walking. And that's just what they'll do....

http://webb.nmu.edu/Sports/SiteSections/PressBox/PressBox.shtml?team=3&articleID=108694&display=short

Honestly, I bet Lance Randall can't even go to Culver's becasue he'll leave before they bring him his food.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

pickleshiner

I was told yesterday he's in the running for Superior too.  He's a sure bet to be gone which sucks but do we really need him?  Semling will find another great assistant.  Is Blount still going to be an assistant next year?

badgerwarhawk

I have to think that it was pretty obvious Randall would continue to look for a head coaching job somewhere.  Semling had to have known he wasn't going to be a long term assistant. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 02, 2010, 10:26:49 AM
I have to think that it was pretty obvious Randall would continue to look for a head coaching job somewhere.  Semling had to have known he wasn't going to be a long term assistant. 

Apparently he's not a long term anything.  ??? ;D :D ;) :) :P ::)
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

billys

Quote from: Old School.... (Tom Doebler) on May 02, 2010, 08:29:18 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 02, 2010, 10:26:49 AM
I have to think that it was pretty obvious Randall would continue to look for a head coaching job somewhere.  Semling had to have known he wasn't going to be a long term assistant.  

Apparently he's not a long term anything.  ??? ;D :D ;) :) :P ::)
Seriously.
One of the questions recruits and families ask on recruiting visits if a coach plans on being there for a long time or at least until they graduate. Ultimately it's probably something a coach can never truly guarantee ... but how does he even answer that question? A quick look at his resume right now says he'll be gone by next Spring (or sooner).

I understand a person has to do what's best for his family ... but I also think there's some responsibility to the kids/families you're asking to trust and believe in you.

I was also thinking about this the other day. People say kids who play sports should choose their college based on the university/college and not the coach. Now no one would argue an athlete should pick the best "fit" for them. It's also undeniable in any sport that how a coach runs a program and their team is incredibly important in the potential success of a student-athlete and their "fit". Isn't that coach leaving or being fired somewhat akin to the college dropping that student's major or having a couple great professors leave and really hurting that academic program? Following the Brust story with Iowa and the the Big Ten just made me realize the only people that truly have to follow the rules are the student-athletes.

Not saying Lance Randall is a bad guy or shouldn't be doing what's best for his family; I just hope he's not making promises to kids along the way and then leaving them in his wake.

badgerwarhawk

I've never heard of a recruit asking out of their committment because an assistant left the program.  I'm not saying it's never happened but I would be inclined to think that it's the head coach leaving that would be more of an issue than one the their assistants.

billys

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 03, 2010, 12:39:26 PM
  I've never heard of a recruit asking out of their committment because an assistant left the program.  I'm not saying it's never happened but I would be inclined to think that it's the head coach leaving that would be more of an issue than one the their assistants.
I was referring to how he will answer the question now when he becomes a head coach again based on his track record.

That said many of the primary relationships recruits form are with the assistant coach, especially at the scholarship level. In fact one just popped up on the women's side here regionally with a kid trying to get out of an NLI.

My point was, if my son is considering going to play for him at UW-Superior or Northern Michigan, neither of which are probably considered destination schools, I'd have a hard time believing he was going to be there for an extended period.

chmarx

I think any kid who would pick a D3 school based on who the assistant coach is is an idiot incapable of college work.  These kids may enjoy playing college ball, but they will make their living based on classroom work, not hoops.
UW-La Crosse fan since 1980

stoutguy

I agree with Billys regarding Randall.  I will be less nice, however in giving my opinion.  The "What's good for the family" bit does not hold water.  His resume is a joke.  He is one of these guys who is or wants to be considered for every job that is talked about.  I wouldn't hire him based on his vagabond tradition. 

Just Bill

Quote from: chmarx on May 04, 2010, 12:35:39 AM
I think any kid who would pick a D3 school based on who the assistant coach is is an idiot incapable of college work.  These kids may enjoy playing college ball, but they will make their living based on classroom work, not hoops.
Again, I don't think that's at all what billys was implying.  He was talking about what might happen when and if Randall eventually lands a collegiate head coaching job.

If I was an AD, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

badgerwarhawk

Talk about short stays....

Hofstra basketball coach Tim Welsh resigned three days after he was charged with drunken driving and only one month after he was hired.

Just Bill

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 04, 2010, 03:43:56 PM

Hofstra basketball coach Tim Welsh resigned three days after he was charged with drunken driving and only one month after he was hired.

Lance Randall applied for the job 10 minutes ago.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 04, 2010, 03:43:56 PM

Welsh is a former D3 guy. He played for his dad, the legendary Jerry Welsh, at Potsdam State back in the '80s. He graduated from Potsdam State in '84, so he could've been on the Bears teams that won the national championship in '81 and finished second in '82.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell