MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Get to 78, win the game.  Good road win for the TITANS.  Glad to see the top three scorers doing so well, a perimeter game.  Titans off to a good start. 

'70

voxelmhurst

Elmhurst 83
Illinois Tech 61

Jake Rhode 20 pts, 6 reb, 3 steals
Derek Dotlich 13 pts
Jay Militello 11 pts, 6 reb, 2 steals
Lavon Thomas 11 pts, 5 reb, 2 steals
Ebrahim Jobe 9 points, 4 reb, 2 blocks

Miles Curry 20 pts, 7 reb
Otis Reale 13 pts, 3 reb, 2 steals
Ahmad Muhammad 11 pts, 3 steals

Elmhurst had to overcome a sloppy opening 10 minutes which saw them commit more turnovers than they did in the full 40 minutes Saturday night. IIT was the sharper team at the beginning and built a 21-12 lead midway through the half. Elmhurst came back into the game after some big 3s from Dotlich and some buckets off the bench by Ebrahim Jobe and Wes Hooker. The teams battled back and forth for the rest of the half and Elmhurst went into the locker room with a 34-32 lead. Elmhurst then dominated the second half on both sides of the ball. Rhode (who only had 1 point at halftime) found his scoring touch and Elmhurst continued the stifling defense they showed on Saturday vs St Norbert. Elmhurst finished with 11 steals and 6 blocks, including a pair of monster blocks by Ebrahim Jobe in the second half, as Elmhurst again won running away.

It's only 2 games but Elmhurst has looked very good so far. Seems like their returning players all improved themselves in the offseason, and their newcomers have looked great. Big enthusiastic crowd on a Tuesday night for a non-CCIW opponent. There is a deserved buzz surrounding this team.

Gregory Sager

The Griswold Center continues to be a seafood-free zone -- no Fishers in sight -- and it's badly hurting Millikin, as the Big Blue dropped a 77-54 decision to visiting Coe. Jake Hampton was the only MU player who stood out, as he had a 19 and 7 night with a nice 5:2 ratio.

Wheaton dropped one at home to Lake Forest, 78-75, in a game that the Foresters led from wire to wire. The Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance came all the way back from a 21-point second-half deficit -- it was still a 15-point hole with under eight minutes remaining -- to cut it to a one-possession LFC lead at several intervals in the final minute, but they never got over the hump. Tyson Cruickshank, who may be the most improved player in the league, had 19 and 8, Anajuwon Spencer had 19, Nyameye Adom had 18 and 8 (but eight turnovers as well), and Cade Alioth had 12 and 9 in the losing effort.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on November 19, 2019, 10:24:15 PM
IWU went big this game, with both Bair and O'Neill. Maybe to counter-act the size UC had on our guards. Or maybe just to see how it worked. It was a lot of fun. And there was enough time to switch over to the Carthage game and watch the exciting end of a huge game. Great night!

I like IWU's options to go small (the starting lineup) or big (with Bair moving to the 4 and inserting 6-9 Alex O'Neill).  O'Neill gives IWU a big body to bring off the bench - it is a nice weapon.

I think when 6-7 Matt Leritz is back we will see a lot of Bair and Leritz on the floor together.

Charlie Bair is a pleasure to watch.  Talk about a blue collar, dirty work guy.  He is averaging 11.0 rebounds per game and does it mostly by effort and desire.

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 19, 2019, 11:05:17 PM

Wheaton dropped one at home to Lake Forest, 78-75, in a game that the Foresters led from wire to wire. The Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance came all the way back from a 21-point second-half deficit -- it was still a 15-point hole with under eight minutes remaining -- to cut it to a one-possession LFC lead at several intervals in the final minute, but they never got over the hump. Tyson Cruickshank, who may be the most improved player in the league, had 19 and 8, Anajuwon Spencer had 19, Nyameye Adom had 18 and 8 (but eight turnovers as well), and Cade Alioth had 12 and 9 in the losing effort.

Yeah- The Thunder came out ice cold and the Foresters red hot in this one.  Wheaton trailed 19-4 after 6 mins and couldn't get a thing to go.  Meanwhile Lake Forest continued to seemingly hit everything going 17-33 (51%) in the first half, 9/13 (69%) from three.  Wheaton's line was 10-26 (38%) and 2/10 from three.    Wheaton really had a tough time breaking the LFC press for some reason leading to 11 first half turnovers - almost like they didn't expect it.  Dug too big a hole.

Lake Forest is a very talented team and surprised to see them only picked to finish 3rd in the MWC.  Mike Schauer in the post game said he thinks the Foresters will win their league.

Yes, not a great game for Adom despite his 18 pts.  His shot wasn't really falling easily and the 8 turnovers were particularly costly.  That being said, I think he and Tyson Cruickshank are able to show their full talent now and are as good a backcourt as any in the CCIW this year.  Adom is best when he's driving to the basket but can also pull up for a jumper.  Same for Cruickshank who, at 5'11" is just an outright baller.  I'm not sure it's improvement as much as now there's more of the ball to go around and more talent can be showcased.  Time will tell how they stack up in the league.

Cade Alioth's play is dramatically better than last year in just about all aspects, especially defensively.  He is a natural rebounder.  Anajuwon Spencer continues to bring unique versatility on both ends of the floor.  Gavin Hawkins has struggled mightily shooting the 3 last two games.  Need more from him.

Notwithstanding tonight's laid egg, Wheaton is better than I had anticipated even without Luke Anthony yet.  They're young and inexperienced but I think they'll win plenty of games.

kenoshamark

Although Carthage had the lead for the majority of the game tonight, this one still came down to Carthage making some big shots down the stretch to hold Oshkosh at bay.  None was bigger than Kedrowski making a nice left handed scoop shot in the lane after Oshkosh had cut it to one.

Kedrowski has easily been the best player for Carthage through their first three games.  When I saw him come out in the first game, you could just tell he was physically stronger than last year and his game has evolved beyond just a perimeter option.   He is looking like a sure all conference player if he keeps this up especially against the caliber of an Oshkosh team.  If Baltimore can get back on track, this could be an interesting year.   Johnson is very steady and can give you a double, double every night. 

Hard to believe Oshkosh will shoot this badly in any other games, but it came at the right time for Carthage to pull off an upset. 

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 19, 2019, 11:05:17 PM
The Griswold Center continues to be a seafood-free zone -- no Fishers in sight -- and it's badly hurting Millikin, as the Big Blue dropped a 77-54 decision to visiting Coe. Jake Hampton was the only MU player who stood out, as he had a 19 and 7 night with a nice 5:2 ratio.

I have heard some stuff on the Zach Fisher situation...but not enough confirmation to post.  His absence is not related to basketball though from what I was told.  It sounds like they definitely expect him back -- I am just not sure when. 

The word I got on Calvin Fisher is that he is dealing with some kind of sickness and expected back very soon.

I have no confirmation of any of this, but that's what I got based on a few notes received.

Gregory Sager

Augustana 88
Loras 59

Augie jumped out to a 22-2 lead and never let it get below double digits thereafter.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Yogao

Augustana team assist / turnover ratio tonight: 1:1.04  Hard to complain about a lopsided win, but it will be tough to win a conference game if they turn the ball over 24 times again.

Gregory Sager

Chicago State 79
North Park 66

Lawrence Pointer: 23 pts (5-7 trey)
Jacquan Binion: 12 pts, 4:2 a:to
Matt Szuba: 11 pts, 9 rebs

Although Chicago State never gave up the lead after breaking an early 2-2 tie, NPU stayed within single digits most of the game down on the South Side tonight. In fact, it was still a six-point game with less than two minutes remaining. The Vikings outshot CSU from the field and were a pleasant surprise at the charity stripe, going 8-8, but they were undone on the boards by the bigger Cougars, 46-28, including 17-5 on the offensive glass, which led to lots of easy putbacks and NPU fouls. The Cougars got to the line for 27 FT attempts, making 20 of them.

Chicago State is pretty rock-bottom for a D1 outfit, of course, but this is a moral victory for NPU. Massey predicted a 21-point loss for the Vikings, and they lost to CSU by only one more point than D2 Purdue Northwest did last night.

This was an exhibition game for North Park, and a real game for Chicago State.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It might be early in the 2019-20 season, but there are already big games being played, surprising results, and teams off to tremendous starts. It isn't even Thanksgiving ... yet.

We start prepping for the big day of Turkey by stuffing ourselves full of DIII basketball topics on Thursday's show. We talk retirement and coaching changes (since we didn't really talk about that Sunday), plus several teams have caught our attention for how they have started their campaigns.

On Thursday night's show, Dave chats with NYU women who are undefeated and defeated Stevens in their last time on the court. We also chat with Carthage men who knocked off the defending national champions recently. Plus, the dean of Division III coaching decided days before the season began to hang up the jacket. F&M's Glenn Robinson talks about why he decided to retire within distance of 1,000 wins.

And what should we expect on the women's side of things this season. D3hoops.com Senior Editor Gordon Mann joins the show to take a deep dive into the Top 25 and things he has seen in the first two weeks of the season.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE in the video player above starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. An audio-only podcast will also be available on the right side of the page shortly after the show is off the air.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Bosko Djurickovic, Carthage men's coach
- Glenn Robinson, former F&M men's coach
- Meg Barber, NYU women's head coach
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on iHeartRadio and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Titan Q

On Hoopsville last night, Bosko Djurickovic pointed out that 1/1/20 will mark the start of the 7th decade he has been part of the CCIW.  He was a player in 1969...will be a coach  in 2020.

https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/nov21

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Titan Q on November 22, 2019, 07:39:16 AM
On Hoopsville last night, Bosko Djurickovic pointed out that 1/1/20 will mark the start of the 7th decade he has been part of the CCIW.  He was a player in 1969...will be a coach  in 2020.

https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/nov21

Is this the opposite reaction to what Glenn Robinson realized - he got out with just five decades at F&M (1971-2019).
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Titan Q

I have to believe the "parts of 7 decades" thing is a CCIW record -- and one that will never be broken.  The only other person I could think of that would come close is Dennie Bridges.  Dennie was a student in the '50s and a coach in the '00s.  So, parts of 6 decades.

In terms of actual years of formal association with a school in the CCIW, Dennie Bridges was a player for 4 years (1957-58 through 1960-61)...a coach for 36 years (1966-67 through 2000-01) ...and the AD another 14 years after he retired as coach (through 2014-15).  54 total years.  54 has to be a CCIW record that will probably never be broken?

Bosko was a player for 4 years (I assume? Did he play 4 years?)...and has been a coach for 34 (24 at Carthage, 10 at North Park).  38 total years.   Bosko is just 2 years away from matching that Bridges total of 40 between player and coach.