MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

Scranton's game at PSU Hazleton has been canceled due to "unplayable court conditions". I'm sure we'll get all the details on Scranton's new & improved web site...in Jan. 09'. What a great tune-up this turned out to be for the start of conference play on Sat. Maybe ceiling tiles were falling from the rafters at the HazelDome. With 2 bad losses already Regionally, Scranton can ill afford losing a game off their schedule.

NEPAFAN

Yes, hopefully one of the Royal insiders can provide some insight into what "unplayable court conditions" means. Maybe Scranton encountered a hostile PSU Hazelton student section and Danzig pulled them off the court....
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

NEPAFAN: Ahh..."a hostile" student section. Remember the good old days when Scranton had one? These days, the Lady Royals have a bigger crowd in the 1st. game of Long Center double-headers.

NEPAFAN

We might have lost a student section but we gained Dean Corwin. ;D

Also put in an email in an attempt to get a firm date on the new website, I'll let you know if I hear anything.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Saratoga,
  Would you know Scranton's Bball grant-in aid resources? $100k? Do they spread it around evenly or favor priority recruits? Assuming that most of their recruits qualify for at least $25k of aid.
  I did hear Coach Strong say that only 2 recruits showed up this year for the ladies despite graduating 5.
  I don't know or I do know but don't want to reveal Scranton's recruiting strategies are understandable responses.
  Any other school want to shed some light on their procedures? 

saratoga

Ronk: In D-III, the NCAA bylaws are very clear...NO coach is to have any contact with those that make decisions regarding financial aid. ALL students are to be given EQUAL consideration based on that families specific need. In other words, Coach Danzig can not talk to the Director of Fin. Aid & tell he or she that "we really need you guys to come up big time for us with the Jones kid because he's a legit small D-I player & college X is going to give him a heck of a package". Can't be done...not that some schools don't...but, all the coach can do is point them in the direction of that office & hope for the best.
  I know a specific case from 2 years ago where Coach Strong had a young lady all set to come to Scranton & she certainly would have started for him only to end up getting one final "adjustment" in her Fin. Aid package from another school & that's all it took for her parents to say "thanks anyway Mike". Happens all the time. That's why I'm saying...those schools that have the largest endowments can cast the largest nets regardless of a players family income. By the way, the young lady I'm referring to is from your area & she had one great freshman year last season.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on December 04, 2008, 10:56:16 PM

I know a specific case from 2 years ago where Coach Strong had a young lady all set to come to Scranton & she certainly would have started for him only to end up getting one final "adjustment" in her Fin. Aid package from another school & that's all it took for her parents to say "thanks anyway Mike". Happens all the time. That's why I'm saying...those schools that have the largest endowments can cast the largest nets regardless of a players family income. By the way, the young lady I'm referring to is from your area & she had one great freshman year last season.

I think I know whom you mean, if she was from NY state. Coach Strong mentioned recruiting her. I think they could have reached at least the sweet 16 last year if she had joined us.

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on December 04, 2008, 10:56:16 PM
Ronk: In D-III, the NCAA bylaws are very clear...NO coach is to have any contact with those that make decisions regarding financial aid. ALL students are to be given EQUAL consideration based on that families specific need. In other words, Coach Danzig can not talk to the Director of Fin. Aid & tell he or she that "we really need you guys to come up big time for us with the Jones kid because he's a legit small D-I player & college X is going to give him a heck of a package". Can't be done...not that some schools don't...but, all the coach can do is point them in the direction of that office & hope for the best.

I guess we need somebody from the financial office to say what disgression they have in making their offers or do they work backwards from offering only to those applicants who need the whole $43k, $42K,...with no other considerations?

NEPAFAN

Just as an aside to the Jesuit finances and athletics discussion, I have read online about Fordham fan's consternation and disappointment with their basketball program and specifically former Scranton president Father Mcshane's ambivalent attitude towards athletics in general.
Vince Lombardi

kate

Hazelton's  gym floor was too slippery.  The game between the Hazelton women & Lyco was also postponed.

TheGrove

Susquehanna opens up conference play with a 64-41 win over Juniata. Joel Patch posted another double-double (14 points and 14 rebounds).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Catholic and GOucher playered a thrilled tonight at the SRC. CUA wins 78-74 in OT. Goucher once again had their chances but couldn't do anything about it. CUA is a much faster team than in years past. It certainly helps to lose McGrew and other sizeable guys inside - it will force you to pick the pace up.

Tonight's game also proves you can't compare results and expect outcomes. CUA may have crushed Stevenson who beat Goucher... but that certainly didn't mean CUA would get an easy victory of the Gophers. Matchups and other factors play a major part.

And Moravian beat Scranton tonight. Could the reality of how much Scranton lost from last season be finally showing up?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Matt Letourneau

You wouldn't even believe what I went through tonight to try to go to the CUA-Goucher game...and after all of it, we never made it.

Long story short, we dropped my kid off at my parents in Winchester, with the plan of a nice leisurely drive through Charles Town, WV, over to Frederick, MD and on I-70 into Baltimore.

Oh. My. God.  Just the other side of WV, it started to snow.  And then the roads turned to absolute ice.  I'm from MA but I've never seen anything like this.  Within 20 minutes it was the most dangerous thing I've ever seen.  I must have seen 40-50 separate accidents out there.  I-70 the other side of Frederick became impassible.  I'm used to driving in that weather and even I lost control of my Odyssey two separate times on little highway overpasses.  I saved it, a lot of people didn't.  We got to a point where I-70 both ways were completely closed--accidents and impassible conditions.

Finally, we got to an emergency vehicle turnaround point and pulled a U-turn to get back into Frederick.  The 70/270 interchange was unlike anything i've ever seen.   14 car accident, all over the road.  It was an obstacle course.  We got off in Frederick and ate dinner and the guy on the ramp in front of me literally went down it totally sideways (lucky he didn't hit anything).

At this point I was just happy to make it one piece.  We finally made it back home.  Sorry I missed what must have been a great game.  I see that Banzhof had 27...what a beast.  Not surprised it was close--lots of familiarity and matchups, etc as D-Mac said.

Oh well.  Sorry I missed you D-Mac.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on December 06, 2008, 11:20:42 PM
And Moravian beat Scranton tonight. Could the reality of how much Scranton lost from last season be finally showing up?

Didn't Moravian lose 4-5 players too? No insight into the game, but on paper I thought the Royals would cover by 3-5 points. The lost to Moravian last year to start conference play and we all know what happened then so we'll see..

The turnovers and rebounding (lack thereof) is concerning...
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Yet another blown chance by Scranton to pick up a win on the road against a very, very beatable opponent. Yes, Moravian did lose about 5 kids from last year & about 90% of their scoring & rebounding...yet, with a soph. returning point guard & one other returning player, they turned it on mid-way through the 2nd. half & never looked back.
  I am very concerned as well the zero inside presence, continued lack of respectable defense, horrible team rebounding and on-going dumb fouls by this team. Couple all of that with no point & this is the current formula for disaster the Royals are sleepwalking into.
  I saw the Messiah game & the Royals were outhustled from start to finish by a group of kids not anywhere near in talent yet far superior in heart & sheer determination. At the moment, it clearly seems as though this team is without direction & playing without a passion, pride & purpose that, at this point in the season with such a veteran squad is really unacceptable. I am truly worried about the future of not only this season but, the future of what we all once knew as Royals basketball. If this team...with all the minutes these kids have played over the previous 2 & 3 years is struggling, then once they leave this year...how much will next years team be devoid of scoring opportunites, rebounding and all the other intangibles?
  Too early to push the panic button? Perhaps...but, certainly not too early for everyone...from the Head Coach right down to the last player on the bench to have a reality check to not only see they are all on the same page, but, that they all even have the same book. Getting continually outhustled is one very worrisome sign.