MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpm4286

Quote from: Matt Letourneau on February 11, 2009, 01:58:39 AM
I don't agree, tpm.  I watched CAC basketball for a long time and I don't see any drop off in the Landmark.  In fact, actually, I think top to bottom this conference could be better. 

I saw every player you named.  They were all good players to varying degrees, but they weren't any better than the best in the Landmark.  Several of those guys like Williams and Haney were the Alan Iversons of the CAC--they got their points, but only because they took a ton of shots and shot for a very low percentage.  Garrett Smith never lived up to his potential, and McGowan was certainly a very good player, but better than Banzhaf--when he was a sophomore? Hardly.

Matt, totally agree with you about those guys not being big # producers as  Banzhaf has been during his sophmore run.  Only from a numbers standpoint. Numbers look good on Paper but don't really matter if you don't win games. We will see if Banzhaf can come up big this weekend to produce wins. I'm not knocking the Landmark at all because they did produce 2 great teams last year that went to the NCAA tourny but I do believe from a talent perspective and overall skill level that many 1st and 2nd team picks from the CAC would surpass Patch and Banzhaf in this conference this year. But who knows, I would compare CAC talents to Josh Robinson from Susquehanna last year who was dominant and unstoppable at times.

Duke vs. UNC tonight who ya pickin?

TheGrove

I also have a few roots in the CAC and have to agree with Matt - top to bottom, the Landmark is better. I see more consistency in the Landmark in terms of team play.

Patch and Banzhaf *might have* been second-team picks in the CAC, but it's more of a flash over substance thing. (The Iverson comparison is a good one.) And they are surrounded by better "supporting casts" than some of those CAC guys were.

I'll take the Dukies tonight, just 'cause the game is in Cameron.  :)

Innerloop

I really can't see anyone beating out Banzah for the POY award. He has carried CUA on his back. It ashame that nobody gives anyone else on the team any credit. Yes, there are no consistent other scorers, but somebody different has stepped up at different times. They have 16 wins and they will probably end up with at least 18 maybe 20. Alot of coaches and players would like to be in their position right now!
Traffic Buster

NEPAFAN

Mr. Spencer is a good choice for Rookie of the Year...didn't know Susq recruited in the Pacific Northwest.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Duke! Dickey V will lose his voice tonight baby.

BCannon

POY-I'm gonna say Banzhaf but if SU wins the regular season maybe Patch. I think a lot depends how these last 3 games go. I think this weekend Banzhaf is going against the best individual post defender the last 2 years in the Landmark in Paul Hawk, and @ Scranton he will not be getting the help to the free throw line that he did at CUA. If he performs well this weekend he would be my choice.

ROY-Spencer Spencer.... 5th in scoring in the conference has played huge down the stretch

COY-Howes.... to have the season they did with as much as they lost and as young as they are very impressive.

As for Banzhaf he is having statistically a better year then McGowan as sophomores. JB 21.4 ppg 7.8 rbg where as McGowan was approx 16-17ppg and 6 rbg. IMO Chad was the go to player for York that year despite having Bushey, Lee, Zerfing, and others. With all the talent around him Chad didn't have to deal with constant double-triple teams that JB faces. It works both ways Chad didn't get as many looks but he also didnt face the same pressures and attention that JB faces this year. I don't think JB is the same athlete Chad is/was but to say he wouldnt be a deserving player of All Conf 1st team is not fair. JB will be an Hon Mention Pre Season AA next year and who knows if CUA makes a run into the tourney could get AA status this year (I wouldn't hold my breath for this one personally). I think both he and Patch will be All Region players this year either 1st or 2nd team.

All Conf Picks
JB
Patch
Dave Thompson
Ryan Samuel
Biagioli or Ashworth maybe both
Dada

NEPAFAN

Forgive my ignorance but what teams do the following players play for:

Dada?
Dave Thompson?
Ryan Samuel?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

tpm4286

Dada I believe plays for Goucher aka Darrin Bosewell. I doubt any Goucher players will make 1st team. If Jon Garritt and James Russo couldn't make first team with there numbers they put up then there is no way. Sorry

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

tpm - you don't think Micah Perry will make first team with that 31 point performance??? :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

tpm4286

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on February 12, 2009, 05:00:39 PM
tpm - you don't think Micah Perry will make first team with that 31 point performance??? :)

Dave:  ;D ;D ;D I just got done with dinner and I just saw your question and starting laughing hysterically. Micah Perry should make the potential-team to breakout (not acne) for NEXT YEAR, at least now he will be listed on other teams scouting reports as a THREAT TO BREAKOUT ONCE, key word ONCE. Even though the 31 point performance was impressive, the consistency for a 1st team performer was lacking. But who knows the SID's in the league may like his hair, DREDS!  :D

lefty2

The SID's pick the all-conference team?
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

BCannon

Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 12, 2009, 02:37:54 PM

Dada?
Dave Thompson?
Ryan Samuel?

Darrin Boswell aka dada I apologize for that one. Chances are he won't be an all conf 1st team pick but potentially 2nd team. Thought I would just put his name into the mix.

Dave Thompson is from Juniata. 3rd leading scorer in the Landmark. For this to happen JC needs to win at least 2 of the next 3, but prob more realistically win out if he is to get 1st team status.

Samuel(s;not sure if there is an s at the end) is from Merch Marine. He is the best PG in the conference. Avg's 10-11ppg 4-5 assts and I would bet around 3 rebs. He is what makes that team go.

You figure there will be 2 from Scranton (Ashworth Fitzpatrick or Biagioli), 1 from each of the other top 3 (so Banzhaf, Patch, and Samuel) which leaves one more spot. My personal vote would go to Thompson.

There is also a DPOY. Who would that be in the Conf this year? I would guess Hawk with nearly 3 blks 4 def rpg and 1.15 steals a game

NEPAFAN

Quote from: bballfan10 on February 13, 2009, 02:15:55 AM
Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 12, 2009, 02:37:54 PM

Dada?
Dave Thompson?
Ryan Samuel?

Darrin Boswell aka dada I apologize for that one. Chances are he won't be an all conf 1st team pick but potentially 2nd team. Thought I would just put his name into the mix.

Dave Thompson is from Juniata. 3rd leading scorer in the Landmark. For this to happen JC needs to win at least 2 of the next 3, but prob more realistically win out if he is to get 1st team status.

Samuel(s;not sure if there is an s at the end) is from Merch Marine. He is the best PG in the conference. Avg's 10-11ppg 4-5 assts and I would bet around 3 rebs. He is what makes that team go.

You figure there will be 2 from Scranton (Ashworth Fitzpatrick or Biagioli), 1 from each of the other top 3 (so Banzhaf, Patch, and Samuel) which leaves one more spot. My personal vote would go to Thompson.

There is also a DPOY. Who would that be in the Conf this year? I would guess Hawk with nearly 3 blks 4 def rpg and 1.15 steals a game

Thanks for the clarification.

Agreed, Hawk is the DPOY and hopefully he plays like it on Saturday Night at the Long Center. Fitzpatrick has cooled off a bit down the stretch, but see him in the mix for 1st or 2nd team.

I still think it is too early to name a Coach of the Year.
Vince Lombardi

TheGrove

tpm4286

I think Coach of the Year should be Leanord Trevino BAAAAA HAHA HAHA HAHA AHHHHHH ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D I joke, I joke