MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nehoops4life

WPIFAN - good night for the two of us, unfortunately Springfield didn't win.  Amherst is tough!  

Congrats to Wheaton for breaking the school record for wins.   I know it wasn't the NCAA's but this is a great accomplishment to grow on.

wpifan

Here are some facts on last night WPI win over Western Conn from the Worcester Tel & Gaz:
Cain had 18 points and was 9/10 from the foul line. Flynn had 17 points off the bench. Coleman had 16 points 9 rebounds and 2 blocks. Marois had 9 points and 5 rebounds.
Our two big guys ( Misiaszek & Marois ) fouled out with five minutes to go and this opened the door for Western to mount their comeback. But with the clock winding down and the score 79-77 ( after two free throws by Cain )they tried to get the ball inside to their big guy AssIe but Coleman tip it away and Western never got the shot off.
Once again congrats to WPI for getting to the Sweet Sixteen. Wish I was there to cheer you guys on.
NEWMAC NEWMAC !!!!!!! It is all about respect!

wpifan

Pat:
Do you think you will be able to get a web- broadcast for the WPI vs YORK (PA) game?

wpifan

Official Basketball Box Score
Western Conn vs WPI
03/05/05 7:00 PM at Harrington Auditorium, Worcester, MA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOME TEAM: WPI 24-3
                         TOT-FG  3-PT         REBOUNDS
## Player Name            FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF  TP  A TO BLK S MIN
55 Antoine Coleman..... f  7-12   0-0    2-5    7  2  9   4  16  0  0  2  1  31
45 Scott Misiaszek..... c  2-4    0-0    2-2    0  5  5   5   6  1  0  1  0  17
12 Ryan Cain........... g  4-15   1-7    9-10   0  1  1   4  18  3  7  0  2  33
13 Mike Prestileo...... g  1-8    1-5    0-0    0  2  2   1   3  0  0  0  1  15
33 Brian Steele........ g  2-5    0-1    4-5    0  4  4   1   8  0  0  0  1  15
10 Brett Dickson.......    0-0    0-0    2-2    0  3  3   2   2  1  2  0  3  25
32 James Marois........    4-5    0-1    1-2    1  3  4   5   9  1  1  0  0  22
42 Steve Furber........    0-2    0-2    0-0    1  2  3   1   0  0  1  0  0  17
44 Ryan Flynn..........    4-8    1-1    8-10   0  1  1   4  17  2  1  0  3  25
  TEAM................                         3  1  4
  Totals..............   24-59   3-17  28-36  12 24 36  27  79  8 12  3 11 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 11-32 34.4%   2nd Half: 13-27 48.1%   Game: 40.7%  DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half:  2-11 18.2%   2nd Half:  1-6  16.7%   Game: 17.6%   REBS
F Throw % 1st Half:  9-11 81.8%   2nd Half: 19-25 76.0%   Game: 77.8%    3

Officials: Jim Byrne,Peter Hansen,Peter Palermino,Mark O'Malley (alt)
Technical fouls: Western Conn-None. WPI-None.
Attendance: 1050
Score by Periods                1st  2nd   Total
Western Conn..................   25   52  -   77
WPI...........................   33   46  -   79
NCAA Championship 2nd-Round Game; Winner advances to Round of 16
Newspaper Box Score

wpifan

Newspaper Box Score
Western Conn vs WPI
03/05/05 7:00 PM at Harrington Auditorium, Worcester, MA
At Harrington Auditorium, Worcester, MA
WPI 79, WESTERN CONN 77
WESTERN CONN (24-5)
Brice Assie 10-17 8-10 28; Greg Cole 6-16 1-2 19; Jeff Gene 3-9 7-8 13;
Kimani Crawford 1-3 5-7 7; Jay Reginatto 2-8 2-2 7; Lamar White 0-1 2-2 2;
Kyle Norfleet 0-1 1-2 1; Jason Barnett 0-3 0-0 0. Totals 22-58 26-33 77.
WPI (24-3)
Ryan Cain 4-15 9-10 18; Ryan Flynn 4-8 8-10 17; Antoine Coleman 7-12 2-5 16;
James Marois 4-5 1-2 9; Brian Steele 2-5 4-5 8; Scott Misiaszek 2-4 2-2 6;
Mike Prestileo 1-8 0-0 3; Steve Furber 0-2 0-0 0. Totals 24-59 28-36 79.
Western Conn..................   25   52  -   77
WPI...........................   33   46  -   79
3-point goals-Western Conn 7-21 (Greg Cole 6-14; Jay Reginatto 1-5; Kyle
Norfleet 0-1; Jeff Gene 0-1), WPI 3-17 (Ryan Flynn 1-1; Mike Prestileo 1-5;
Ryan Cain 1-7; Brian Steele 0-1; Steve Furber 0-2; James Marois 0-1). Fouled
out--Western Conn-None, WPI-Scott Misiaszek; James Marois. Rebounds-Western
Conn 45 (Brice Assie 12), WPI 36 (Antoine Coleman 9). Assists-Western Conn
13 (Brice Assie 2; Jason Barnett 2; Kimani Crawford 2; Jay Reginatto 2; Jeff
Gene 2; Greg Cole 2), WPI 8 (Ryan Cain 3). Total fouls-Western Conn 25, WPI
27. A-1050
NCAA Championship 2nd-Round Game; Winner advances to Round of 16

wpifan

Friday night at Ramapo 6:00 PM. I hope to see everybody there! Never give up! never surrender!
Go WPI!!!!!!!

Pat Coleman

WPIFAN, yes, a D3hoops.com crew will broadcast the entire sectional at Ramapo for NCAASports.com.

wpifan

Lyon Pride

Went to the Springfield/Amherst game on Saturday.  Have a lengthy post in the NESCAC room, though it is very Amherst-focused.

Springfield was UNBELIEVABLE in the first 7 minutes, jumping out to a 16-5 lead.  The Pride had LeFrak jumpin'...

Amherst is a tough team.  WAY too solid on all fronts.  Springfield was OK at a couple of spots, but had way too many holes in its arsenal.  If #41 or #24 didn't score, their trip down court was an empty one.  That's what you get when you turn into a "regional" team.

Charlie Brock almost killed one his players who fouled one of the Amherst guys late in the game.  I really thought he might Bobby Knight him on the spot.  I don't care about that guy's X's and O's, but he is a borderline snapshow with coaching mannerisms that are deplorable.  

Wheaton's ECAC win: hopefully a building block.  I'm convinced they're going to have to win the NEWMAC to get their chance at the dance, though.  The comittee isn't going to "gift" them an entry until they prove on their own that they belong.  Just my hunch.

Pat Cummings

NCAASports.com will have full coverage of the Ramapo regional starting at 5:45pm on Friday afternoon.  Hope you will be able to tune in if you can't make the trip.

d-mac

Basketball in Division III at this time of year... is so SWEET!!!
32 teams still have a chance at two national titles... and many teams weren't expected to get this far.
Tonight, a preview of this weekend's Sweet 16 action and preparations for the Final Four... on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Wooster, Wittenburg, and Illinois Wesleyan are out of the men's bracket!
So, who in the world is still left in the Men's Road to Salem?
Well... UW-Stevens Point, Amherst, and St. John Fisher.

Trinity (TX) is still alive. Most thought they would be playing IWU on Friday night, instead they face Hanover. Tonight, we will chat with Coach Pat Cunningham about his Tigers. Their road to the Final Four is going to be a tough one.

Then there is John Carrol, who defeated Wittenburg to earn their Sweet 16 berth. Coach Mike Moran seems to have his Blue Streaks team clicking on all the right cylinders, having won the OAC before their run in the NCAA's. We will chat with Coach Moran about his upcoming game against Albion... who got by on what some say is a questionable win over Wooster.

On the women's side, not too many upsets, even though DePauw and Buena Vista were eliminated on their Road to Virginia Beach.

Wesleyan continues to surprise as they took out Staten Island to earn their Sweet 16 game against Springfield. Coach Kate Mullen will join us live on the air to talk about how this season's finish isn't what the Cardinals planned on... and how they're looking to keep dancing.

George Fox will be earning a lot of frequent flyer miles this weekend. Coach Scott Rueck has his Bruins playing very good basketball and will take on St. Benedict, who upset Buena Vista. But how are the Bruins going to handle flying across the entire length of the nation for the game(s)... we will ask Coach Rueck.

And Salem is getting ready for their tenth Men's Final Four. ODAC Commissioner Brad Bankston will join us live on the air to let us know how the preparations are going. How you can get tickets! And what else you can expect and should do while in the great city of Salem (and Roanoke), Virginia.

Oh... and of course we will chat with our regional reporters - Gordon Mann will actually join us in studio. And we will certainly take your questions and comments on the air and try and cover a very busy week of basketball.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen... and be a part of the show.

wpifan

Come on WPI. I been taking a lot of heat from the YORK fans. So do us a big favor and take it to them Friday night. I am hoping that the weather holds up and I will be there.
Go Tech!!!!!!!!!!

wpifan

wpifan

Tough game! Sweet sixteen is still nice. WPI you have nothing to hang your head about. We love ya!

coachz

I think I speak for many of us on this board who were rooting for WPI and their representation of our conference.  WPI now has earned the necessary battle experience, and with returning all their major players next year, will be the team to beat in the league.  Congratulations to the team, they represented us well getting to the Sweet 16.