MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenpipes

So let's hear it about tonight...it's semifinal Thursday.

#5 Johnson and Wales @ #1 Norwich  

These teams split during the regular season, each winning at home. Wales won by 3 (69-66) in Providence and the Cadets won by 21 (81-60) in Northfield.  

Possible keys? As of 2/13, Wales was the #1 team in the GNAC %-wise at the FT line, Norwich was 9th. Both teams don't get to the stripe that often, but if the refs call it tight, Wales might pick up a few points from the line. The other major factor is rebounding. Norwich holds a major edge here, as they have out-rebounded their opponents by 12 a game, while J & W has been out-rebounded by nearly 10 per contest.  

Key to the game- Jay-dubs big men need to keep the rebound numbers close and get to the line. Norwich needs to maximize second shots.  

Norwich wins and stays home for the final. Cats win and they roll to Boston to play one of the "E" schools from the other side of the bracket.

#3 Emmanuel @ #2 Emerson

Not much needs to be said here. It'll be a good one until the end. These teams split (each winning at home) and know what to expect from each other. The last game @ PMC was a game of runs, and Emerson got the last one to win the game.  

That's enough of that. Tip-off is 7PM.

d-mac

It is time to find out who is in... and who is out.
Whose bubble has been burst and who is wearing Cinderella's glass slippers.
It's Selection Sunday... and tonight there will be a special "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" as the 2005 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Brackets are announced... LIVE on our air!
The Road to Salem and Virginia Beach officially starts tonight!

It plans to be a huge night... as 50 womens and 48 mens teams are officially invited to the dance and a chance at a national title.

Some teams already know they are going (thanks to winning their conferences) and some think they are going, but there are always surprises.

So tonight, we will break it all down. Starting at 8:30 PM EST, we will take a look at who is definitely in, who might make it, who will be disappointed, and what match-ups you might want to look forward to seeing later in the week.

Then at 10:00 PM EST... we will broadcast LIVE the Women's Selection Show so you can find out when we do... the 50 teams on the Road to Virginia Beach.

That will be followed by the Men's Selection Show at 10:30 PM EST - when 48 teams find out what their Road to Salem will be like.

After those selections... we will go over it with a fine-tooth comb and find out who we think are the surprises!

And throughout the show, we will hear from different regions with live reports and talk to coaches that have made surprising moves into the tournament.

Of course, you can listen in thank to http://www.goucher.edu/radio">Goucher College.
We suggest you try and use the low-bandwith signal which will require you to have htpp://forms.real.com/netzip/getrde601.html?h=software-dl.real.com&r=2723cbe80ea75bfa7021&f=windows/RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe&p=RealOne Player&oem=dlrhap_bb&tagtype=ie&type=dlrhap_bb">Real Player and selection the rtsp://helix.goucher.edu/broadcast/goucherradiolb">28K version of the show.
At the same time, you can listen to the Broadcastmonsters.com version, using http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx">Windows Media Player (go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for more information).

And you can share your opinions and questions with us, live on the air.
email - mailto:hoopsville@d3hoops.com">hoopsville@d3hoops.com  
AOL IM - Hoopsville2000

And for more information... check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" website (http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville" target=_top>www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville)!

Again... it all starts tonight at 8:30 PM EST.

Christoper Bridges

Ok, so check it out. How does WNEC get an ECAC bid after losing to jwu first round of the tourney? How do they get a bid over Emmanuel, and for that fact JWU?

But, excluding that, congrats on the first round win, even though you dont deserve to be in the tourny...

Whats the confrence look like next year? I'm a JWU fan, and only know about them. Id like to know about the rest of the conference, and how we look next season. As for JWU, they are losing only two in seniors brian bannister and dice yoshimoto. Though they were both huge contributers to the team, they may prove to be liabilities well worth losing next season. dice's lack of agression with the ball, pressure handling, decision making, and his risk to turn the ball over are all things JWU will be better without. Replacing him will be easy with return of Cory Brown. Cory saw little action this year between eligibility and injury, but showed his presence. His speed is unmatched in the country. if he can improve his ball handaling, playbook knowledge, and shooting, he can prove to be a star in this conference.

Brian bannister will be a loss to the team. however, his inconsistency, turnovers, and often poor shot choice will not be missed. Replacing him overall will be hard though.

The Wildcats overall will return 11 players. They should be primed to be one of the tops in the conference. I fell one of the keys for jwu is in their big men. If they can get Forwards Jeff Barbosa and Brock Champaine into shape, the conference is in trouble. Both are very big, and showed flurishses of a dominant big man presence throughout the season. Together, they have the potential to be one of the best big men duo's in the country. They wil ahve to work hard this season on weight, strenght, and wond though.

another key to them being ready to go, is moving coner moran to the 3. Coner has been stuck on the block for 3 years. even though he is big, he is a wong player, not one for mixing it up down low. If he can get to the wing for his senior season, and do damage shooting, cutting, and penetrating, he will be a force in the conference.  

Fellow senior next season, Brian fernandez will also be ready to play next season. He will need to develop a right hand, and severly improve his shot selection. He is deadly when open from outside, but often forces horrible shots. such choices found him on the bench for the second half of the season.

Japhet kerr had a good showing this season, primarilly as a defensive force. if he can improve his already sufficating d, along with his ball handling and shooting, he will be a valuable asset to the team.

Christoper Bridges

last post  continued

the x factors for next season are deffinetly in forwards Jason Jones, Greg samuels, and Tirone McCray. Jones started a few games in the beggining of the season, before eligibility problems. Hes a big rebounder, and very aggressive, despite his only 6'2 size. If he can learn to gel with the team, and leave his attitude asside, he can contribute big for the cats next season. Samuels is another undersized forward with a gift of jumping. He is also one of the naturally strongest players i have ever seen. if he can improve all aspects of his game over the off season, he can serve as a hige part of the team of the bench for the big men, or jones. Finally, tirone mccray will serve as conar morans breather. Tirone has the same game, same frame. However, he is a little more able on the block, and less athletic. Depending on his improvment over the offseason, he may even be able to oust the senior, providing the polotics dont getinvolved. All is dependednt on his off season dedication.

well, thats it for JWU. lemme here from the other fans, whats your team gonna be like next year? lets get this forum back alive like last season!!

Hoopy1

Does anyone know what's going on at Suffolk?  Have they hired a coach yet?

beantown baby

Adam Nelson from Newbury took the Suffollk job.  He is also bringing on former Newbury aide Rich Fazzi who played for him at Becker.

truth

Who do You think is going to finish on top of the Gnac this year?

truth

I know many might laugh but my pick is Emmanuel. Emmanuel will surprise many teams this year :o.

All-around

Anyone go to any games???

d3bballinboston

I heard they got accepted to the CCC.. Any truth to this?? If so who is going to replace them?? Rumor has is that Newbury, St. Joe's of Maine, Lasell and Mt. Ida are all interested in the GNAC.

AJ

Yeah WNEC is going to the CCC in the fall of 2007, its definite.  Look for some of the lower CCC teams to be headed to the GNAC in return though, as the CCC is trying to go down to 8 teams.

ChesterGreen

Any early nominantions for POY in the GNAC?

All-around

How about Godbout the PG from WNEC, or Will Dawkins from Emerson (i just saw he scored something like 39 in against UMB...Its still early though

beantown

d3bballinboston-  I am famiiar with the situation and can say that I know one of the schools that you mentioned is seriously considering applying to the GNAC, but since I am affilated with that school and the athletic department, I would rather nother comment on which school it is.  Also despite Suffolks's early season struggles I think they will be fine this year.

d3bballinboston

who is gonna win the league this year?? havent herd much from anyone