World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombers15

Premiership in 5 weeks?

Great, another lopsided victory for Chelsea. They will be at the top of the table for the entire season. Adding Shevchenko and Ballack to what they already had? They're going to be disgusting. Their starting 11 is nasty: Peter Cech in goal; John Terry, Gallas, Carvalho, and either Paulo Ferreira or del Horno in the back; Makelele, Ballack, Super Frank, and Arjen Robben at midfield, with Michael Essien and Joe Cole as reserves, for god sakes; Crespo and Shevchenko up top with Didier Drogba as a reserve. That may be the most disgusting top 15 of any roster in the world.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: gobombers15 on July 09, 2006, 10:22:31 PM
Premiership in 5 weeks?

Great, another lopsided victory for Chelsea. They will be at the top of the table for the entire season. Adding Shevchenko and Ballack to what they already had? They're going to be disgusting. Their starting 11 is nasty: Peter Cech in goal; John Terry, Gallas, Carvalho, and either Paulo Ferreira or del Horno in the back; Makelele, Ballack, Super Frank, and Arjen Robben at midfield, with Michael Essien and Joe Cole as reserves, for god sakes; Crespo and Shevchenko up top with Didier Drogba as a reserve. That may be the most disgusting top 15 of any roster in the world.

By 'disgusting', I assume you mean 'the best team money can buy'.  But note it does not guarantee anything except nearly always being a contender. 

Steinbrenner's Yankees and the Red Wings (until recently) were similar (the Wings at one time had 7 or 8 near-lock future Hall of Famers, plus a coach ALREADY in the HoF, and annually made the playoffs [often with the #1 seed], yet they still bombed out early more often than they won Lord Stanley's Cup).

Chelsea has bought themselves a (near) guarantee of being a contender, but for opponents to abandon hope would be foolish.

gobombers15

To an extent, I agree. However, this formula has proven successful for Chelsea over the last two years. By acquiring Ballack and Shevchenko, they are not completely overhauling that team. Unlike the teams you mentioned, they have several "team" players (see Essien, Makalele, Terry, etc.) whereas teams like the Yankees seem like a bunch of independent contractors, save for a precious few of them. I see them winning the league in a rather comfortable fashion, followed by a subsequent screw-up in UEFA's, per usual.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Jim Matson

Watching Zidane's antics today was really shocking.  Yeah, a conspiracy is the best way to talk about it - I mean, what other reason could there be?  Or maybe he's just an idiot?!

I thought the foul on Italy was a clean call.  The ref did a good job today, although I preferred the guy who called the Germany/Italy game - I think he was from Mexico.

Nonetheless, I liked Italy's play and other than their lifeless efforts in the last 20 minutes, they certainly were good.  I think had France not suffered the injuries and the Zidane move, they may have kept up the preasure and won in regulation, but it just seemed that Italy was destined to take it to PKs and win.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 09, 2006, 08:43:01 PM
Quote from: Bilk on July 09, 2006, 07:40:32 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 09, 2006, 07:02:32 PM

He'll sit for Euro 2008 qualifying matches against Andorra and Macedonia - and if England needs him for those matches, I doubt they are contenders! ;)

Where did you find that out?  Nice work.

It was on the BBC link that Hoosier Titan(?) posted when Rooney's supension was first announced.

Yes, it was I.  England plays Andorra at Old Trafford on September 2 and an away game at Macedonia on September 6.  The next game will be Macedonia somewhere in England in early October.  Hopefully McClaren will have restocked the team, especially with healthy strikers.
You'll never walk alone.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hiker Jim on July 09, 2006, 11:58:23 PM
Watching Zidane's antics today was really shocking.  Yeah, a conspiracy is the best way to talk about it - I mean, what other reason could there be?  Or maybe he's just an idiot?!

I thought the foul on Italy was a clean call.  The ref did a good job today, although I preferred the guy who called the Germany/Italy game - I think he was from Mexico.

Nonetheless, I liked Italy's play and other than their lifeless efforts in the last 20 minutes, they certainly were good.  I think had France not suffered the injuries and the Zidane move, they may have kept up the preasure and won in regulation, but it just seemed that Italy was destined to take it to PKs and win.

I prefer to remember Zidane's total career, which was MOSTLY classy but that was a screw-up for the ages, and will probably permanently stain his reputation.

IMO the first French PK was a dive, but like I said in the 53rd minute they DESERVED a PK and didn't get it - I wonder if the ref saw a replay at halftime, and the no-call was a make-up?

I agree that France might have won in regulation (or at least OT, before PKs) if not for Vieira's[sp?] injury, Henry's cramps, and Zizou's brain cramp.  They were definitely the agressors for most of the 2nd half and OT.

Stinger

I am still in shock about Zidane.  France owned Italy throughout the second half, and were unfortunate not to have won in regulation.  As for who actually saw the foul, it was actually the fourth assistant. Neither assistants in the game saw it.

Zizou has retired from all soccer as of now.  He has retired professionally. However, I don't think it would have effected him playing any games if he was to return to Real Madrid.

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Stinger

Amazing, Zidane has won the Golden Ball.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: gobombers15 on July 09, 2006, 10:22:31 PM
Premiership in 5 weeks?

Their second team could compete for the Premiership.

Quote from: stinger on July 10, 2006, 07:31:08 AM
Amazing, Zidane has won the Golden Ball.

I wouldn't have voted for him simply because of that act of disgrace.  But, with that said, I'm sure many voters had their votes in already.  They have until the end of the day to get it in.

Zidane:  2012 votes
Cannavaro:  1977
Pirlo:  715

IMO, I think Zidane (with the voters who sent in their votes before the headbutt) probably got in partly because of his name, partly because of sentimental value (last WC) and partly because he's a "skill player" (goalie, forward, midfielder).  I think Cannavaro should've gotten it, but when was the last time a defender got it? 
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Wow, you're right.  I'm surprised I got the Germany-Portugal game correct.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Penalty kicks are crap.  If your team can make it to the final with Fabian Barthez in goal, you should get some sort of extra credit.  Zidane knew they had no chance in the penalties and he wanted out early.

Also it gives further creedence to my conspiracy theory about Silvio Berlusconi buying the cup for Italy.  Zidane loves Lippi and even the crappy American announcers kept mentioning how much love Zidane had for Italy and his time playing there.  He's already got one World Cup, maybe Berlusconi did buy him off.  That PK went in, sure, but it looked almost as if Zidane was trying to knock it off the crossbar and he just got it a few inches too low?  You never can tell.

Anyway, the headbutt did one thing for sure, it made absolutely certain that Zidane can gather a following when he comes to MLS in a few years.  MLS needs an aging superstar with a penchant for sternum bruising behavior.  That will sell.

Bring on the crazy transfer season!

Josh Bowerman

The Zidane thing is just bizarre, yet par for the course.  He's one of the greats, to be sure.  However, part of the legend, if you will, of Zidane is his "wild card" mentality.  (Check out some of the stuff he pulled while with Juventus)  The saddest part of the incedent, IMO, was having a pretty good idea what Zidane must have been thinking while looking at the Cup Trophy as he went to the locker rooms after being sent off!

Old School, I agree w/ you--for the most part--on the Cannavaro selection, but am not sure I'd agree with your assessment of the keeper being a skill position as opposed to a defender. Remember that Kahn won the Golden Ball in 2002, not for his skilled play, per se, but for his defensive prowess.

I think a legitimate arguement could be made for Buffon to have won the trophy, considering his high level of play during the tournament.

"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Hiker Jim,

Are you going to create a pro soccer convo board on here for some debate now that the WC is over?  I'm not really in a position to get involved in d3 soccer at the moment, but I am a follower of the game in europe and would love a forum for discussion here (a place I basically visit everyday anyway).

Josh Bowerman

That sounds like fun.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Jim Matson

Hoops, sure.  Send me some ideas via e-mail.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com