Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

LBC was an incredibly young (and lost) team for a chunk of the year, but when it mattered most (the NEAC Championship Game), they showed their growth and took PSU, on their homecourt, to OT. It truly was a season that came out of nowhere for LBC. PSU-Harrisburg should dominate in many sports, including basketball and baseball, in the current iteration (which won't be around, as is, for much longer, if at all) of the conference given their many advantages over all of the other NEAC schools.

Quote from: PoppersMacsLive on July 16, 2021, 03:01:25 PM
Pretty wild, but I do think it is important to note that PSUH beat LB by 26 in both of their prior meetings.

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 16, 2021, 02:29:57 PM
Quote from: PoppersMacsLive on July 16, 2021, 09:08:26 AM
I've just confirmed with Coach Don Friday of Penn-State Harrisburg that Brandon Coleman will be returning. He suffered a season-ending injury after two games in 2019. Coach Friday called him their second best player (after Donyae Baylor-Carroll; although he was likely focusing on scorers, because Dylan Daniels is one of the best rim protectors in D3) in their NCAA Tournament post-game presser after beating Hopkins. This solidifies PSUH as a Top 25 preseason team, in my opinion.

.................and to think that little Lancaster Bible College had PSU-Harrisburg dead to rights late in the NEAC Championship game. LBC returns 8 of their top 9 players and has two incoming freshmen studs and two impact (both possibly starters) transfers for the 2021-2022 season. Those LBC vs. PSU-Harrisburg games should be interesting, but I'll give the nod to PSU with the quality of what they have coming back and coming in.

PoppersMacsLive

I'm getting word that Connor Delaney is back for Johns Hopkins. With a strong recruiting class last year and most of the 2019-20 team back, JHU is in my eyes a lock to be a top 10 preseason team, and should be borderline top 5.

Titan Q

Yeshiva 6-6 All-American F Gabriel Leifer - 13.1 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 6.9 apg - will return to the Macs this season for a national title run.

PoppersMacsLive

As will Eitan Halpert. 18.1 ppg last season, 47.1% from 3. Shot 50% from 3 in 2019-20.
Macs return top 8 point-scorers and minute-getters from last year's team.

Quote from: Titan Q on September 17, 2021, 02:16:44 PM
Yeshiva 6-6 All-American F Gabriel Leifer - 13.1 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 6.9 apg - will return to the Macs this season for a national title run.

Greek Tragedy

Son D3 should just skip the NCAA tournament for the 3rd year in a row and just crown the Macs the champs now?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Titan Q

14 teams I see as contenders for the top 10 in the preseason poll...

Brandeis
Emory
Illinois Wesleyan
Johns Hopkins
Marietta
Mary Hardin-Baylor
Randolph-Macon
Swarthmore
Trine
Tufts
UW-Oshkosh
WashU
Wheaton (IL)
Yeshiva

Am I missing any other sure-bet Top 10 candidates?

nescac1

Brandeis looks likely to be very good this year but I would eliminate them from that group - if they are in contention I'd say St. Joseph (CT) and WPI should be too.  I think all three are probably top 25 material, but not top 10 teams, ultimately, but if I had to pick one for top 10 contention, I'd go with WPI over Brandeis, especially with how strong the top of the UAA looks.  As for the rest of your inclusions, I think you pretty much nailed it.  In my view, Yeshiva, IWU, RMC, Oshkosh, Tufts, Emory, and Swarthmore are definitely in.  Maybe Trine too?  The last few spots, up for grabs in that group.  I think I'd go with MHB and Wash U. for the last two spots. 

Titan Q

Quote from: nescac1 on September 22, 2021, 12:04:50 PM
Brandeis looks likely to be very good this year but I would eliminate them from that group - if they are in contention I'd say St. Joseph (CT) and WPI should be too.  I think all three are probably top 25 material, but not top 10 teams, ultimately, but if I had to pick one for top 10 contention, I'd go with WPI over Brandeis, especially with how strong the top of the UAA looks.  As for the rest of your inclusions, I think you pretty much nailed it.  In my view, Yeshiva, IWU, RMC, Oshkosh, Tufts, Emory, and Swarthmore are definitely in.  Maybe Trine too?  The last few spots, up for grabs in that group.  I think I'd go with MHB and Wash U. for the last two spots.

With Brandeis, just thinking they return basically the entire group from 2019-20...and add Middlebury's leading scorer.  Seems like they are going to be loaded.  I guess we'll see.

nescac1

The 1st and 3rd leading Brandeis scorers in 2020 were seniors.  Is one or both back for a sixth year?  I do love their additions.  Eastman is legit, plus what looks like a big time D1 transfer and a very highly touted frosh from NC.  But I'm less sold on the returning roster .... WPI has I believe most everyone back plus some highly touted recruits.   

Titan Q

Quote from: nescac1 on September 22, 2021, 12:43:29 PM
The 1st and 3rd leading Brandeis scorers in 2020 were seniors.  Is one or both back for a sixth year?  I do love their additions.  Eastman is legit, plus what looks like a big time D1 transfer and a very highly touted frosh from NC.  But I'm less sold on the returning roster .... WPI has I believe most everyone back plus some highly touted recruits.

Collin Sawyer (leading scorer from '19-20, 15.6 ppg) is back.  Not sure about the 3rd leading scorer.

SpringSt7

So Collin Sawyer will be a 6th year senior? D'Aguanno played 103 games in 4 years before the pandemic so that would mean he's done.

Tufts is the only New England school that's in the hunt for a preseason top 10 spot this year in my opinion. Other teams will emerge as the year goes on obviously but with all of the uncertainty I don't see how you can take a Brandeis who hasn't really been ranked in a long time and just shoot them up the list. But I do expect them to be very good. Same deal with WPI or any of the top NEWMAC schools for that matter, the ones at the top will find their way up the rankings once the wins start rolling in, but from a preseason ranking standpoint they're just not at that level.

WUPHF

My understanding is that Brandeis returns Sabir and Jones from the senior class in addition to Sawyer so yeah, they should be good.  The core players (with Eric D'aguanno) went 1-1 against Rochester, 1-1 against Emory and 0-2 against Washington University two seasons ago.

I do think guys like Lien and Justice will play a much bigger role this season.

This team would not be good enough to start in the average Top 10, in my estimation, but definitely Top 25.

Titan Q

Quote from: Titan Q on September 22, 2021, 11:05:45 AM
14 teams I see as contenders for the top 10 in the preseason poll...

Brandeis
Emory
Illinois Wesleyan
Johns Hopkins
Marietta
Mary Hardin-Baylor
Randolph-Macon
Swarthmore
Trine
Tufts
UW-Oshkosh
WashU
Wheaton (IL)
Yeshiva

Am I missing any other sure-bet Top 10 candidates?

Add UW-Platteville.  I am hearing everyone is returning.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The reality is that there's never ten teams that feel like Top Ten teams in preseason, you just have to rank them and follow you don't look silly in March. This year will be even more difficult.

The only locks on my board are Yeshiva, Macon, and IWU.  There's a few more I'll add once I see rosters, but it's tough. We haven't really done a full ranking in 18 months. Who's to know who's good? I thought Emory and JHU were too highly rated in 2019-20, but that shouldn't really matter now, right?

I'll definitely be relying on the voter info more than ever before this time around.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: PoppersMacsLive on September 17, 2021, 10:42:19 AM
I'm getting word that Connor Delaney is back for Johns Hopkins. With a strong recruiting class last year and most of the 2019-20 team back, JHU is in my eyes a lock to be a top 10 preseason team, and should be borderline top 5.

When I reported that he was playing lacrosse for Hopkins last year, we basically stated he would be back for his senior year.

Really the more surprising news is if he wasn't going to be back.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.