MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox

Quote from: D O.C. on February 18, 2018, 06:36:57 PM
Is OxyBob still doing color on some games?
Better yet, will he be interviewing the AD at halftime? :P
Fierce When Roused

D O.C.

OxyBob

Tuesday night's scores:

Cal Lutheran 79 La Verne 77
Oxy 89 Redlands 69
Pomona 93 Whittier 85
Claremont 75 Caltech 68

Final conference standings:

Claremont 15-1 Oxy 12-4 Pomona 12-4 Chapman 10-6 Whittier 8-8 Cal Lutheran 6-10 Redlands 5-11 Caltech 3-13 La Verne 1-15

The SCIAC Tournament is Friday Feb. 23 and Saturday Feb. 24.

Friday Feb. 23, Semifinals, 7:00 p.m.

No. 4 Chapman (17-8, 10-6) @ No. 1 Claremont (17-7, 15-1)
No. 3 Pomona (14-11, 12-4) @ No. 2 Oxy (19-6, 12-4)

The winners meet Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at the highest remaining seed. Tournament winner gets SCIAC's NCAA tournament automatic bid.

Claremont has won 14 straight.
Oxy's best season since 22-6 in 2007-08.
Pomona 9-1 in last 10 games.
Chapman 7-3 in away games.

OxyBob

stag44

Will be a great slate of games on Friday. It's interesting and coincidence that semi-finals are a rematch of the games from this past Saturday.

Oxy v Pomona will be really interesting - Pomona has been playing really well in 2018, with their only loss coming at CMS and at Oxy. Oxy winning yesterday gives them the 2 seed and home court which is important the SCIAC tournament. Oxy must keep the game low scoring and use their physicality to dominate the Pomona guards. Both teams are playing with confidence right now, but it does seem like Pomona is playing with momentum and is fresh off beating Oxy handily last weekend. They dominated Oxy in their own game, getting 18 offensive rebounds and holding them to 15pts in the 1st half.

CMS v Chapman will also be a good game. Chapman has played CMS tight in both games and in the 1st game had CMS down by double digits at one point (I'm not sure but that might be the only time in conference the Stags have trailed by double digits). In fact, it looks like Chapman has put CMS in its largest deficits in both games (down 12 @ Chapman and down 8 at home this past weekend). Chapman has the pieces on their team to be very dangerous and they are well coached and disciplined when running their stuff. They were effective this past weekend in getting to the rim on the Stags and Nelson has a career high 28 points. I'm sure both teams will look at the film and see plenty of areas where they could have improved. Chapman's back-up was more effective than their freshman starter, though neither really did much to stop the CMS 5s who scored a combined 28. The Stags will look at the box score and gladly take a win when Scarlett shots 6-17, President doesn't score from the field and they only shoot 6 FTs. I'd expect Scali to make some smart adjustments based on the film on both sides of the ball. Chapman will likely do they same - they had a full week to prepare with no games so there might be some wrinkles. This is very similar to 4 years ago when CMS played CLU one week apart and in the semis CLU completely changed their offensive scheme for the game against CMS and upset the Stags. I highly doubt that Chapman will go to that level given the coach is very principled in his stuff (some of their sets have been the same since for 15 years). I'd anticipate Chapman to be VERY aggressive trying to drive the lane, pick up foul count, and put the pressure on the Stag guards to defend the penetration.

Should be a fun Friday night!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

OxyBob

Quote from: stag44 on February 21, 2018, 02:19:19 PM
This is very similar to 4 years ago when CMS played CLU one week apart and in the semis CLU completely changed their offensive scheme for the game against CMS and upset the Stags. I highly doubt that Chapman will go to that level given the coach is very principled in his stuff (some of their sets have been the same since for 15 years).

The same sets for the last 15 years. Hmmm, sounds like another SCIAC coach I know.

OxyBob

stag44

Quote from: OxyBob on February 21, 2018, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: stag44 on February 21, 2018, 02:19:19 PM
This is very similar to 4 years ago when CMS played CLU one week apart and in the semis CLU completely changed their offensive scheme for the game against CMS and upset the Stags. I highly doubt that Chapman will go to that level given the coach is very principled in his stuff (some of their sets have been the same since for 15 years).

The same sets for the last 15 years. Hmmm, sounds like another SCIAC coach I know.

OxyBob

Haha sounds like a bunch of the SCIAC to be honest.. Interestingly enough, Scali actually runs few if any sets, but yet he's been running the same motion-style offense for the Stags during his 20 years, but that has been the way for CMS for even longer since David Wells and even at times with Ducey.

The differentiator is that sets are much easier to scout and plan against vs the motion which morphs as the defense adjusts.

OxyBob

Pomona 71 Oxy 60

Pomona played flawlessly, beating Oxy 71-60 in the SCIAC tournament semifinal. The Sagehens had 4 players in double figures, made 10 3-pointers and were 17-of-18 on FTs.

Pomona got off to a 12-5 lead, but Oxy came back and took its last lead of the game at 19-17 on a breakaway dunk by Cale Yellin-Flaherty. Pomona then ran off 12 straight to lead 29-19, and Oxy never caught up after that. Pomona led by as many as 16 in the second half. Oxy made it interesting by getting within 62-58 with 2:50 left, but after a timeout Pomona ran a give-and-go for an easy layup and that was that.

For Pomona, Micah Elan scored 19, including 5 3-balls, Daniel Rosenbaum and Adam Rees each had 13, and Corbin Koch scored 10.

For Oxy, Zach Baines scored 23, Jonny Crosthwaite had 16, including 4 3-pointers, and Yellin-Flaherty had 10.

Oxy finishes 19-7. Congratulations to Brian Newhall and the Tigers on a great season.

Very nice to see Oxy basketball royalty -- Connor Whitman and Henry Meier -- in attendance. Has it really been 10 years already?

Tonight at 7:00 p.m., No. 3 seed Pomona (15-11) will play at No. 1 Claremont (18-7) for the SCIAC tournament championship and the NCAA D-III tournament automatic bid. Claremont beat Chapman (17-9) 83-72 in the other SCIAC semifinal.

CMS and Pomona are both rolling. The Stags have won 15 straight, and the Sagehens have won 5 straight and 10 of 11. It's always a wild scene when Pomona and Claremont go at it. Well worth watching.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on February 24, 2018, 11:37:46 AM
It's always a wild scene when Pomona and Claremont go at it. Well worth watching.

On the other hand...

SCIAC Tournament Final

Claremont 86 Pomona 62

No contest.

Pomona finishes (15-12, 12-4 SCIAC).

Claremont (19-7, 15-1) has won 16 straight. Good luck to the Stags in the NCAA tournament.

OxyBob

stag44

Congrats to the Stags! I was in complete shock watching the game - the CMS - PP games almost always close, particularly in the SCIAC tournament. It was a great win for Scali and the team - Lynds and Scarlett played a phenomenal game and President and Ely stepped up again on defense. Great team win from them.

Any thoughts on where they get sent based on where the Pool A bids are lining up? Are Texax and Minnesota / Wisconsin real options? I guess if there are 3 flights needed, then it opens CMS to end up somewhere besides Walla Walla. If there are only 2 flights needed, then my assumption is both will be sent to Walla Walla.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

We have our mock bracket out - http://www.d3hoops.com/playoffs/men/2018/projected-mens-bracket

However, we did not put a third Texas team in, which is a real possibility and would screw everything up.  If it's just two Texas teams, CMS will almost certainly be playing at Whitman.  Conventional wisdom says Whitworth again as the opponent.  In our mock bracket we added an extra flight to get Whitworth out of Whitman's gym, but I think the chances of the committee actually doing that are about 15%, at best.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

(509)Rat

The unofficial d3hoops committee always seems to do the official NCAA selection committee's job better than they do. At least when it comes to making brackets that are seeded as fairly as possible while working with flight limitations. But there's a difference between creative solutions while limiting flights and adding a flight so Whitworth and Whitman don't have to play each other in the first weekend. I am confident in saying the committee will NEVER spend money on a flight that isn't necessary in order to fairly "seed" teams from the far west.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 26, 2018, 12:40:22 AM
The unofficial d3hoops committee always seems to do the official NCAA selection committee's job better than they do. At least when it comes to making brackets that are seeded as fairly as possible while working with flight limitations. But there's a difference between creative solutions while limiting flights and adding a flight so Whitworth and Whitman don't have to play each other in the first weekend. I am confident in saying the committee will NEVER spend money on a flight that isn't necessary in order to fairly "seed" teams from the far west.

They have paid for one more flight than necessary on occasion if the bracket demanded it.  It's not unprecedented, just unlikely.  If those NWC teams had stronger SOS numbers that put them higher overall by the criteria the committee uses for evaluation, it might happen.

My first draft had Whitworth at Whitman and Sul Ross State at Ramapo.  That would've been interesting.

There are many ways to make this tournament work. I look forward to seeing the official version.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

OxyBob

But there's a difference between creative solutions while limiting flights and adding a flight so Whitworth and Whitman don't have to play each other in the first weekend.

Oh boo-hoo. Oxy played Claremont in the first round in 2006, when Claremont got doubly screwed and had to play on the road at Oxy instead of at home in the Temple of Doom. Oxy also played Pomona in the first round in 2008. That's how it goes for the D-III west coast. Always has, always will.

OxyBob

(509)Rat

Quote from: OxyBob on February 26, 2018, 02:57:40 PM
But there's a difference between creative solutions while limiting flights and adding a flight so Whitworth and Whitman don't have to play each other in the first weekend.

Oh boo-hoo. Oxy played Claremont in the first round in 2006, when Claremont got doubly screwed and had to play on the road at Oxy instead of at home in the Temple of Doom. Oxy also played Pomona in the first round in 2008. That's how it goes for the D-III west coast. Always has, always will.

OxyBob

Easy there Tiger. I wasn't complaining. I was making the exact same point as you just did. The d3hoops folks have actually found ways to keep flights down and break up the far west teams on occasion, and even when additional flights wouldn't be needed to do so, the NCAA committee has still put us all in the same pod. If the committee won't shake things up when there's a solution that keeps costs down, they sure aren't going to add flights in the name of fairness.