MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Here's a link to the complete box score of the D3hoops All Star Game. The 3 players from the East region combined to go 14x24 from the field. Burridge, Stein, and Temgoua were 1-2-3 in field goal percentage on their team.

http://www.nabc.org/NABC_Releases/releases/2011-12_NABC_Releases/031712-nabc-allstar-stats.pdf

magicman

The final D3hoops Top 25 Poll was released on Monday and Oswego State ended up at #17 with 189 points. They were the only East Region team to make the Top 25. Hobart got 16 points and finished in the #34 spot and NYU had 13 points which landed them in the #36 spot. Hartwick got 2 points which tied them for the #43 spot. I thought Hobart's 90-88 loss to Cabrini in overtime might move them into the Top 25. No other team played Cabrini any better than the Statesmen did until Whitewater beat them in the title game. Hobart was 13 seconds away from winning that game when they were called for a foul which put Cabrini on the line for the winning points.

Oswego State's final ranking was 15 spots higher than their final ranking of last year when they finished in 32nd place. It was the highest finish by a SUNYAC school since Plattsburgh State ended up #13 in the 2007-08 season.

magicman

Chad Burridge recieved more honors on Monday as he was named to the DIII News All American 2nd Team. DIII News has 5 All American teams and then a lenghty list of Honorable Mention players. No other East Region player made any of their 5  All American teams. Making their honorable mention list was Jared Suderley from Hartwick, Ralph Temgoua of St. Lawrence, John DiBartolomeo from Rochester, Mickey Davis from Morrisville State, Simon Smith from Stevens, and Sean Rossi from Ithaca.

magicman

The ECAC released their Upstate Division III All Star Teams today. Oswego State's Chad Burridge was named Player of the Year. Buffalo State's Jake Simmons and Oswego's Hayden Ward also joined Burridge on the First Team. Cortland's Jesse Winter and Brockport's Kyheem Green were named to the Second Team. Clarkson freshman John Coleman was named Rookie of the Year. Here's a link to the complete list:

http://www.ecacsports.com/sports/winter/mbkb/AllStars/2011-12/ALLSTARS_2012_MBBUPSTATE.pdf

Bengalsrule

2 weeks since last post on these SUNYAC boards ???. Looks like the offseason is in full swing...reflecting on the "shoulda coulda and woulda's" :'(

magicman

Well I guess somebody has to fire up this board again. I hit reply and got the big red warning cause nobody's posted for at least 120 days. Thought I did something wrong at first and Pat was going to ban me or something. He won't do that though, cause nobody proofreads for him like I do. ;D 

First day of practice was Monday and I went to check out the Plattsburgh State Cardinals. Was glad to see that all nine returning lettermen were back and in good health. Coach Tom Curle and assistant Cameron Conover have an excellent record of recruiting student-athletes that always seem to play their 4 years and graduate. A large contingent of players were on hand as 22 young men are trying to win a spot on the team. Some tough decisions will have to made in a few weeks. I watched two 5 on 5 teams going at it on adjoining courts and all 22 of those guys looked like decent D3 players. In addition to the 9 returning veterans, there were several transfers, a number of prized freshman recruits and a group of walk-ons all hoping to make an impression on the coaching staff. There will be some good battles to win starting positions and more battles just to make the team. Cardinals return their top 3 scorers and top 3 rebounders. 8 returning players averaged double minutes per game. There is not 1 senior on the team so next year is promising as well. I think the Cards will finish among the top 4 teams in the SUNYAC this year as the sophomores and freshman from last year have gained maturity and skills. A lot more of those close games will go the Cardinals way this year, I hope. I believe the Cardinals lost less talent to graduation than any team in the YAC.

Coach Curle once again has put together a strong out of conference schedule as Plattsburgh could face 3 pre-season top 15 teams (according to the D3News pre-season Top 25 poll) before January 4th. The Cardinals don't waste much time testing the waters as they host one of last year's top teams, the Middlebury Panthers, (pre-season #15) on November 25th. They travel to Keene State on December 4th to take on the Owls, who tied for 2nd in arguably the toughest conference in the East last year (and maybe the country), The Little East Conference.  The LEC sent 3 teams to the NCAA's last year and Keene State ended Middlebury's unbeaten season when they were #1 in the D3 hoops poll (surprisingly Keene St didn't get a bid to the big dance as they lost in double overtime to Eastern Ct. in their conference tournament).  On January 2nd they travel to Lancaster Pa. to face the Franklin & Marshall Diplomats (pre-season #6) who made it to the Elite 8 last year. F & M lost their top player from last year to graduation but still return a ton of talent. They play F & M in the Diplomats holiday tournament and depending on the outcome of that game, the Cards may have to play Eastern Connecticut (preseason #12) in a game the next night. Eastern Conn. won the Little East conference last year and defeated Oswego State in the 2nd round of the NCAA's last season in double OT 70-69 at Oswego. If they don't get Eastern Conn. they will match up against Salisbury University. St Lawrence is once again on the schedule as the Cards travel to Canton to take on the Saints on Nov. 27th. Always a tough game against one of the Liberty League's best programs, especially on their court. It appears on paper and after looking over the other SUNYAC teams schedules that the Cardinals, didn't do themselves any favors with their OOC schedule. Once again I think it's the toughest in the YAC.

I was happy though, as I looked over the schedules of the conference, that a number of teams have a stronger OOC schedule than they've had in previous years. That's good, but we also have to win our share of those games. Looking forward to seeing some complete rosters in a few weeks and hopefully get some imput from regulars on this board and maybe some new posters from schools that haven't been represented in the past.

A side note, the Plattsburgh State men's soccer team with a record of 15-1 continues to be ranked in the Top 25 D3soccer poll. The Cardinals moved up to #17 this week with their highest total so far of 203 points. It's the 5th straight week they've been in the Top 25. They are tied for 1st place in the conference with Brockport at 6-1 and the big showdown for the top spot will be this weekend as the Golden Eagles visit Plattsburgh on Saturday. I'm hoping my other favorite team, Potsdam can tire out the boys from Brockport on Friday. Saturday's forecast is sunny and 62 degrees, I'm going to have to make that game. Maybe the local news will finally mention the fact that the Cards are nationally ranked. It's a big secret here in Plattsburgh. I think I'm the only one that knows. College hasn't mentioned it on their website and I've sent the SID several e-mails asking why. They always mention the hockey team's ranking. and the newspaper has the hockey polls for D3 men's and women's every week of hockey season but not a mention of the soccer team's ranking in 5 weeks. ::) :o >:(         

Bengalsrule

It's good to see the Magicman back on the (basketball) boards! :D

7express

Speaking of Plattsburg, not sure how good the women's team is, but they have someone that played basketball @ Western in 2010-11.  Hopefully be able to see a game this year preferably at New Paltz or some southern NY school like that.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on October 17, 2012, 01:51:14 PM
It's good to see the Magicman back on the (basketball) boards! :D

Well it's basketball season, isn't it? Plattsburgh doesn't have the luxury that Buff State does. So we have no football team. I follow the E8 football league, the LL, and The New Jersey league. Lurk on the boards but rarely comment. Not like I can watch any of those teams in my backyard here in Plattsburgh. Was hoping to get my thrills following the "mighty" Bengals especially after they defeated the top ranked team in the country at Whitewater. Notice I said hoping!! Oh how the "mighty" have fallen. You can tell me all about football season on our next phone call. Glad you're back as well. 8-)

Bengalsrule

Good to be back buddy. December 8th is less than 2 months away!

magicman

No East region team cracks the D3hoops Top 25 preseason poll. NYU receives the most points with 76 and checking in the ORV category at #27. Oswego State is next with 58 points at #32. Hobart, 40 points, #36, Hartwick, 21 points #42 and Rochester, 10 points # 45 round out the East teams.

Last year we had 3 East teams in the Top 25 preseason poll. Rochester #7, Oswego #18 and Buffalo State at #19. Hartwick and Hobart received points in the ORV category.  The final poll at seasons end only had 1 East team in the Top 25, Oswego State at #17 with 189 pts. Hobart (16 pts.), NYU (13 pts.), and Hartwick (2 pts.),  ended up in the ORV category. Hopefully the East region teams can improve upon that showing this year. 

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on October 17, 2012, 10:44:37 PM

Our annual get together is an early one this year.

hopefan

Magic... hit me up with anything you hear about Grif's engineers..... They'll be out this way in Milwaukee this year, but it conflicts with my 40th anniversary weekend and return trip from the Riviera Maya... think I better stay in St Louis (Not to say I won't see if we arrive St Louis in time to see a tourney doubleheader at Webster that Saturday night....).. Flight getting in at 4:00 PM, games at 6 and 8...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on October 18, 2012, 02:56:50 AM
Quote from: Bengalsrule on October 17, 2012, 10:44:37 PM

Our annual get together is an early one this year.

Yessir!!!!! Hopefully I'll get to the "Musicshop" this year.

P.s. My beloved BENGALS football team won their first E8 game last Sat vs. Ithaca. There is probably no team in D3 that has had more of an up and down season (opened season by crushing  NJAC pre-season  fave Cortland, lose to arch-rival Brockport, beat #1 Wisconsin -Whitewater AT WW, lose at home to Alfred....) . it's been a tough 1. Hopefully the campus pyschs are helping my boys thru this final stretch. ;)