Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Pretty random but I thought this was neat:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39688951/

About a CEO/former coach who wants to become a head coach again.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

108Vincent

Quote from: K-Mack on October 21, 2010, 08:44:30 PM
Quote from: 108Vincent on October 20, 2010, 06:22:55 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on October 20, 2010, 03:48:48 PM
But on the flipside, I wonder how I'd react if someone told me I'd get more football per dollar watching the CFL instead of my beloved NFL.

So, I guess I'll keep my anti-NFL rant to myself  :).  i'm also a DI fan - a Buckeye for life, and I'd like to someday make a trip to Columbus to witness the spectacle, but given the cost and logistics, I don't know when that would happen.  I've been to three ONU games this year because they're the closest to where I live and I know I'm going to see quality football, but I'm actually a covert Mount Union guy.  As much as I can, I try to follow and support my local d3 program which was Shenandoah when we were in VA and Wheaton when we were in IL.  

What's taking you all over the place?

Work.  Most moves are planned, some are not, but we make the best of wherever we land.  It's funny you ask, because I just accepted a position in Eastern PA.  If I get a free Saturday down the road, I might be checking out Muhlenberg, Delaware Valley, or Ursinus.  I'll have to get some advice on the MAC and CC boards as to the best venues.  Tomorrow though, it's a trip across Ohio to Alliance to see my Purple Raiders for the first time in a couple years.

usee

Keith- why do you think St Thomas deserves #1 over ncc? St johns played UWEC and St THomas close and NCC dominated UWEC. I don't see the rationale for ranking them ahead. What am I missing?

K-Mack

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: K-Mack on October 25, 2010, 12:37:07 AM
Year in review:

Everythign about this game:

http://lcpioneers.com/sports/fball/2010-11/files/UPS1023.HTM

Yeah, I was gonna suggest that game for YIR, but (correctly) assumed it wasn't necessary! ;)

Damned budget cuts - neither team could afford to dress their defense! ;D

usee

Holy Basketball score!! And a tight game to boot. Qb passes for 625 yds in a game? what's the single game record?

K-Mack

Quote from: USee on October 25, 2010, 01:05:33 AM
Holy Basketball score!! And a tight game to boot. Qb passes for 625 yds in a game? what's the single game record?

730 I think. Menlo, 2001? Zamir Amin. Nate Jackson was in that game.

There was another 700+ a few years back, IIRC.

The best things about that L&C 64, UPS 61 game, as Pat & I just talked about in the podcast:
The L&C drive chart (It's like TD, TD, TD, TD, TD, TD, punt, TD, TD, punt, TD)
The fact that UPS rallied from down 61-42 with 8 mins left to take a 64-61 lead with 27 seconds left, and then L&C scored with 1 second left to win anyway.
L&C rushed for 260 yards, UPS (-7). (or UPS rushed for -7 and still had 650 of offense)
The fact there were 6 fourth-down conversions in 6 tries.

I'm listening to anything you notice. :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Soliciting specific things you want to have answered in this week's ATN.

Can an East Region/Eastern team win a Stagg Bowl?
Will an East Region team be a No. 1 seed in the playoffs this year.

Anything related to either of these lines of questioning that you want me to ask the principles?
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

HScoach

Quote from: K-Mack on October 25, 2010, 01:40:21 AM

Only if you consider Mount Union an eastern team.  ;)

Maybe.  Montclair State is the east's only hope, but they have a huge test test this Saturday at Cortland State.  If Montclair loses, then IMHO there is no way the east gets one of their own teams as their bracket head.  Mount Union or Wesley would be a more likely #1 in the east.

What gets interesting in my mind is what you do in the other regions to balance it out, if anything.  The West has two #1 candidates in Whitewater and St Thomas, the North has two in Mount Union and North Central (or Wheaton) and the South has Wesley and Mary Hardin Baylor, though the Crusaders are living on borrowed time and look like the weakest of the possible #1's by a wide margin.   

I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

usee

I wouldn't count Delaware Valley out of the #1 seed race. While the NCAA committee broke new ground in stating, and actually trying, to get the top 4 teams as #1's, it isn't obious to me that they are comfortable moving teams into regions where there are already undefeated teams already in the region. I suspect if you end up with Montclair and Del Valley undefeated you will see UWW and St Thomas stay West, UMU and NCC/Wheaton stay North and Wesley/UMHB stay south.

We have seen a lot of  movement between regions in recent years leading to much speculation about who and where. Most of the time it has been out of accomodation. We shouldn't jump the gun and assume a "regional reshuffling". I would think the committee may be just as content to let teams slug it out within their region when it's possible.

frank uible

Can a single game in which one side passes for 600+ yards be rightfully called football? Or is it really something else?

Ron Boerger

Quote from: frank uible on October 25, 2010, 10:37:10 AM
Can a single game in which one side passes for 600+ yards be rightfully called football? Or is it really something else?

It's definitely football, Frank.  The question you should ask is if what the *other* side was playing could be called defense.   ;)

108Vincent

Anything related to either of these lines of questioning that you want me to ask the principles?

If Ohio Northern finishes 9 - 1, you'd think they're positioned pretty well for a pool C bid.  Is it safe to assume that they would be placed in the East bracket if Mount Union was in the North bracket, or stay in the North if UMU went to the East?  Or is putting the #2 OAC team in the South or West a possibility?

usee

As Keith stated above, the brackets are built around #1 seeds based on geographical proximity to avoid travel costs. You can't predict right now who may go where in isolation and it's a bit early to be putting together a mock bracket with so many critical games still to play in the next week or 2.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: 108Vincent on October 25, 2010, 12:00:04 PM

If Ohio Northern finishes 9 - 1, you'd think they're positioned pretty well for a pool C bid.  Is it safe to assume that they would be placed in the East bracket if Mount Union was in the North bracket, or stay in the North if UMU went to the East?  Or is putting the #2 OAC team in the South or West a possibility?

The committee hasn't separated the OAC teams very often but it's more likely Mount Union will move than Ohio Northern because Mount Union is further East.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.