MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

Quote from: A Buc Forever on November 17, 2012, 10:02:51 PM
I had keys to that old gym when I played at Whitworth and David could call security any time and they'd open the gym for him.

And it wasn't any different in the time between...if you didn't have a key you knew a guy on the team (really any team) who did. And security never asked questions. Occasionally they would give you a hard time about lifting if you were by yourself, but it was never anything more than a 2 minute lecture on liability and safety. I wouldn't expect anything to change either with the new President. He seems to be just as active on campus and as supportive of the athletic department as Bill was.

cawcdad

Saw Linfield against my alma mater Cal Maritime last night. Maritime won 57 - 56. Cats played mostly a zone defense and a trapping press most of the night. They got a few 10 second violations but gave up more baskets behind the press than they got turnovers. I was was not overly impressed.
Here are photos from the game: http://www.pictureprints.net/albums.php?gallery=4018

playball

A first game from a team that lost 2 all NWC guys they lost 57-56 was disappointing?  Im obviously a supporter of Linfield Basketball and am disappointed with any loss, but a 1 point loss is a step in the right direction.  After seeing how they finished last year and the way their defense was, I see a couple 10 second calls as a plus!!  Hopefully they will be able to get over the hump and start putting wins on the board but with the perpetually young team they have, a plus is great!  Go cats!

playball

Also, where can I find a box score from the game?

cawcdad

Actually second game playball. The Cats lost to Menlo 87-85 on Friday.
Menlo box score: http://www.menloathletics.com/stats/2012-13/Mens%20Basketball%20linfield.htm

The box score from the Maritime game isn't up yet. They tend to be a bit slow.

I too support Linfield sports, but Cal Maritime being my alma mater got my support last night. I have nothing to compare the Cats play to since I have not seen them in awhile. But Cal Maritime is the defending Cal Pac Conference champions and lost quite a few players from last year's team. My comment was based on how well the Keelhaulers played, which was not nearly as well as last year. It is early so we shall see.

playball

My bad!  So two L's by a combined 3 points...   Also, wasn't saying you didn't support the program like I have in the past with posters like DOC.  I was trying to say that my point of views will obviously be a little biased!  No slam on you by any means!  Also, thank you for the link, +k to you if I could

Gregory Sager

Quote from: cawcdad on November 18, 2012, 02:18:36 PMI too support Linfield sports, but Cal Maritime being my alma mater got my support last night. I have nothing to compare the Cats play to since I have not seen them in awhile. But Cal Maritime is the defending Cal Pac Conference champions and lost quite a few players from last year's team. My comment was based on how well the Keelhaulers played, which was not nearly as well as last year.

That is a fantastic nickname!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

(509)Rat

Friday will be a good test for Whitworth. A home game against a team they "should" beat. Don't know what UMHB is returning from last season, but they were athletic.. UMHB Just made had too many mental lapses to beat a solid Trinity team in the playoffs last year. I'd imagine traveling a couple thousand miles and playing in the fieldhouse won't help, but this Whitworth team will give a lot of young guys playing time which may help the cru reverse their fortunes from the end of last season.

If Kitrick Bell is back I expect Larkin to get the assignment to start the game. The key for Whitworth will be getting points from someone other than Gebbers. This is a team that's gonna need 3 guys in double figures most games. The defense will keep them in most games, but they aren't going to beat teams like St. Thomas with 65 pts.

playball

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone that reads this.  I am truly thankful that others take such an interest in the NWC as I do.  Plus, I am thankful for RAT making the comment "Wiser is like sasquatch" and making me laugh.  It takes quite a bit, but he did it!  Happy thanksgiving all

(509)Rat

Gebbers scores 3 points and Whitworth beats UMHB 70-61. McConnell had a great game with 18 points. Whitworth got 13 from McCargar and 12 from Valle and Larkin. Good defensive effort and a nice job of getting 4 guys in double figures. Just need Farnsworth to develop more of a low post game and this team will be just fine

A Buc Forever

Looks like some teams are starting strong.  LC, Pacific, Whitman have some good wins.  How is that freshman for Pacific?

playball

Any words on Hollins?  I haven't seen him in box scores

TryMeTeam

I have seen Pacific play once, and they are much improved.  The freshman (Danny Brakebush) out of Portland's Central Catholic was an all-state player (first team I think), and has done well for PacU, including leading the team in scoring in their game against PSU.  He seems to be up and down in the box scores, and has some learning to do, but he will be good.  No way Pacific finishes 8th this year (coaches poll), but more in the middle of the pack, possibly in a playoff position. 

I also went to the 1st LC game, and a fan told me Hollins is practicing and only "a few days from playing", but that obviously is not the case, 4 games later.  It was a torn ACL, so mentally it might be tough to come back from 2 torn in 2 years, but as Playball likes to point out, he is rather "passionate" and could come back full speed.  I have been told full strength doesn't happen for a couple of years with this injury, and who knows with the second one.

Who would have guessed LC and PacU are on top of the standings at this point?  Okay, I get the strength of schedule, but I am riding the OR high as long as it lasts!

playball

Quote from: TryMeTeam on November 28, 2012, 12:13:03 PM
I also went to the 1st LC game, and a fan told me Hollins is practicing and only "a few days from playing", but that obviously is not the case, 4 games later.  It was a torn ACL, so mentally it might be tough to come back from 2 torn in 2 years, but as Playball likes to point out, he is rather "passionate" and could come back full speed.  I have been told full strength doesn't happen for a couple of years with this injury, and who knows with the second one.

Just went back through all my posts and not once did I call Hollins "passionate".  I may have called him a detriment to his team and not a great team guy ("Josh Kollasch saying "what is he doing?!" DURING THE GAME to one of our guys rings a bell)  I don't think he will play this year.  And, I STILL don't think its horrible for their team in the long run.  Their post guys, when/if the ever play, may stand a chance to get touches.

Lets see if LCPio26 jumps on this one.

One last thing, I just reread my comment and it kind of looks like RAT could have been the author.  I must be doing something right in life...

A Buc Forever

Looks like Pac, LC, WW, WM, and W are starting strong.  LC hung well with Portland.  WW had a strong win against Montana Tech. Should be a great conference race this year.  Looks like UPS, PLU, and Linfield will struggle. Strange to see those teams at the bottom.