MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oxy'03SalemPavers

92, Duque gets my nod as well for the best post player ever in the SCIAC, which undoubtedly puts him into any discussion as the best player ever.  What I respect the most about him is that, like Song, he was the center-piece to helping his school overcome historical shortcomings in the SCIAC.  Popovich was like Newhall, coaching in the SCIAC for about a decade and always coming up a little short, until Duque arrived.  But I give Song a slight nudge because unlike Duque, he got his team to the Elite 8.  Duque only lead his team in '89 to the round of 32.  But they beat a nasty CS San Bernardino team to get there.  Kats has never been past that.  

But if we were going to open the lid past '94 there are some other legit names to throw into the two other names from CMS Todd Thomas & Chris Greene CMS (next tier down has guys like Bellaire, Albrecht, Keister, M Johnson, was Newhall from mid 80s or mid 70s?, I think he put up some nasty numbers in the set shot era).

sciacisfun

For the record, Avedian was on the '01 team, and yes, he did ride the pine while Muth and Co. were dominating. Interestingly, Hodges was a starter on that team. Not a bad lineup-three guys who were first team sciac at some point in their career, two second-teamers, and a POY riding the bench

fosheezie

Oxyfan-

Hold up, let me clear what I was trying to say.  Don't get me wrong, Song was a bad dude.  I don't doubt his talent.  And that Oxy team was very good, they did work hard, and had the smarts to back it up.  If I had to pick someone on that team to be the MVP, I would have to go with Finn.  He did it all, bounded, could shoot, take it strong, and usually played d against bigger opponents.

And Pavers, Song over Duque.  Are you crazy?  If Popovich is telling Tim Duncan that Duque was the best player he ever coached, then you know Duque was the real deal.  I don't even know if Song was the best on that Oxy team.

Oxy'03SalemPavers

Fo, you bring up good points.  Results are what has me taking Song over Duque.  It's like taking Christian Laetner over Grant Hill.  Or is Song more like Hurley...

And you are also right that it is debatable whether or not that should be Finn or Song.  Without one of those guys on the team, and a couple of other guys on that squad, we wouldn't even be talking about them as being on a best ever list.  They all made each other play at a higher level.  But I stick with my statement that Song was THE difference maker for that team.

Mr. Rayburn

Sciacisfun -  

How could Hodges have been a starter on the '01 team?  That would have made this season his 5th.  Did he redshirt 2001-02?  I dont remember him playing then.

Scandihoovian

Hodges had a redshirt year in their someplace, it was either 01-02 or 02-03.

Mike Brandt

It had to be 01-02, I remember playing against him in 02-03.

sciacguru

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.....another SCIAC individual left off the All-Region Team.  Two of the best forwards in the West Region......Hodges and Jolly dont even get a sniff.  Nah...there is no bias.  Just like Avedian was left off last year.

Pat Coleman

Sciacguru, perhaps if the SCIAC SIDs exercised their right to vote they might get someone on the team.

Eight SCIAC schools. Two SCIAC ballots. Direct your anger at the voters, not us.

Scandihoovian

Pat-

I'm curious with only two SCIAC ballots how the conference got a player on the women's team (Valerie Pina from CLU)?  Do fewer SIDs from the western region vote on the women's side?

(Message edited by SCScandihoovian on March 17, 2005)

sciacguru

Ok, THIS YEAR, the SIDs didnt exercise their right to vote.  But I cant see that this year would be different from last, as you had Shivers on 2nd team, and no mention of Avedian.....the POY.  Your excuse....."we vote on a traditional All-Region Team"...2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center.  You cant tell me a player who averaged 25 pts and 7 rebounds, and POY, is not deserving.  So you have 12 SIDs in the WIAC, and really only 5 in the SCIAC (that are full time).  Of course, 6 players from the WIAC will be nominated.  Dont you think that is a bit skewed??  I would think from your GRAND position you would be able to look through that.  Nah, no bias.

sciacguru

Oxy'03SalemPavers

Guru,  if we didn't go out in the first round every year we could get more votes than what we get from the handful of SIDs from our conference who we can find at the beach to send in a vote.  Why would the rest of the country listen to us?  If our talent was on par with the best in the country we would win at least SOME games.  When we get to Salem we will validate our talent level and then some.

jbergman

Does anyone have any information about incoming frosh for the SCIAC next year?

sciacguru

Oxy....if that is the case....did anyone from your illustrious Elite 8 team make the all-Region team?