FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LB40

3 NACC guys confirmed in NFL camps! Exciting for them and for the league.  If anyone hears how Gibbons, Smith or Esiobu did, please update!

HansenRatings

Decided I'm going to spam every conference board with my preseason (non-returning-starter-adjusted) projections.

Team   Rating   Overall   Conference
Lakeland      0.5617   6.4-3.6   4.8-1.2
Benedictine      0.5160   5.7-4.3   4.7-1.3
Wis-Lutheran   0.3684   4.8-4.2   3.9-2.1
Aurora         0.1917   3.4-6.6   2.8-3.2
Concordia-Wis   0.1808   4.1-5.9   2.7-3.3
Concordia-Chi   0.0417   1.5-7.5   1.1-4.8
Rockford      0.0271   1.2-7.8   0.9-5.1

Lakeland & BenU appear to be pulling away from the pack, with Wisconsin Lutheran as a clear-cut 3rd place team. I don't really know what each team's rosters look like in terms of returners, so it'll be interesting to see if things shake up a bit after Kickoff comes out.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

Pat Coleman

First heard about this in May or June. Finally got the conference to release something:
http://www.d3football.com/notables/2017/08/eureka-football-join-nacc-2018
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 04, 2017, 09:30:17 AM
First heard about this in May or June. Finally got the conference to release something:

Looks like a good pickup for the league.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on August 04, 2017, 10:55:08 AM

I think in good years, Eureka will add to the depth in the league, probably knock off a contender, possibly even contend. More importantly, this is a buffer in case Benedictine does go to D-II.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 04, 2017, 01:56:36 PM

I think in good years, Eureka will add to the depth in the league, probably knock off a contender, possibly even contend. More importantly, this is a buffer in case Benedictine does go to D-II.

Pat:
When did you first hear about Benedictine preliminary exploring going to DII?  I tried to find something on their website about it, however, was unable to locate anything (perhaps I was looking in the wrong areas).  What are your thoughts on such a potential move?  And which conference would they likely join-GLIAC or the MWFC DII one in Ohio or perhaps towards Minn?  Their enrollment as well as stadium capacity (both being about the same) would be more similar to the DII schools in the Ohio league (which includes Hillsdale).  Overall, I am surprised they would want to consider this, however, there are many surprises anymore in college football, particularly at the DII and DIII divisions.  Your thoughts?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

AndOne

Pat likely has both additional and deeper thoughts on the subject, but talk of BU going D2 has been in the air for around 3 years or so if memory serves. Many outside the local BU area probably haven't heard much scuttlebutt about the possibility because much of the talk was in rather whispered tones until the last year or so.
My personal belief is that there may be four primary reasons for such a possible move;
1. The D2 market in the local area is somewhat underserved. Lewis is the only D2 in the local vicinity. Over the IL-WI border to the north is UW-Parkside, Quincy is in SW IL, and Purdue-Northwest is in the NW corner of IN. The next closest D2s are across the lake in Michigan. There are plenty of available bodies in the Chicagoland area.
2. BU has longed for CCIW membership for several years. As of today, they don't even have a little toe in the door much less an entire foot.
3. By giving out athletic scholarships, BU believes it will bring in additional tuition and related dollars that will more than offset the  cost of the scholarships.
4. Success in the D2 athletic arena may result in increased overall visibility, and increase the chances of an increase in enrollment. This, of course, would mean increased cash reserves which would allow for growth and expansion.

There are those who are pretty familiar with the situation who will swear it's a done deal, and just a matter of time. Others still aren't sure the possibility will ever come to fruition.

Pat Coleman

The institution hasn't made its decision yet regarding pursuing Division II membership, but it has definitely been exploring it. Benedictine probably needs to make its decision before the end of the year, because I understand the NCAA Division II membership committee would be make its decisions in February.

formerd3db

AndOne and Pat:

Thanks for the information.  The question then, I would think, is it a wise decision for BU?  Certainly for some DIII schools, it would not be, however, from what you have shared that is "known" to date, it seems like it might be a very feasible option for BU.  I recall when Upper Iowa left the IIAC and many people laughed at them, actually scoffed and believed it would be a huge mistake.  Yet, they have appeared to finally turned the corner and are doing well in a good DII conference (at least the last year).  For other schools, the DII trial did not work out as well (Minn-Morris, McMurry in TX, and was it Millsaps? in MS as I recall).   It will be interesting to see what happens at BU.  If they decide to stay at DIII, it would be nice to see them get in the CCIW-that would make the best sense I would think.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

AndOne

Quote from: formerd3db on August 05, 2017, 05:44:41 PM
AndOne and Pat:

Thanks for the information.  The question then, I would think, is it a wise decision for BU?  Certainly for some DIII schools, it would not be, however, from what you have shared that is "known" to date, it seems like it might be a very feasible option for BU.  I recall when Upper Iowa left the IIAC and many people laughed at them, actually scoffed and believed it would be a huge mistake.  Yet, they have appeared to finally turned the corner and are doing well in a good DII conference (at least the last year).  For other schools, the DII trial did not work out as well (Minn-Morris, McMurry in TX, and was it Millsaps? in MS as I recall).   It will be interesting to see what happens at BU.  If they decide to stay at DIII, it would be nice to see them get in the CCIW-that would make the best sense I would think.

Perhaps, then, D2 is what it will be. Because unless the current positions of some of the member schools changes radically, BU won't be getting into the CCIW any time soon, if ever.

Pat Coleman

AndOne and Pat:

It was Mississippi College. This will only be their fourth year in a Division II schedule and they have gone 1-9, 2-8 and 3-7 in the first three years, so I would think the jury is out on the Choctaws.

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 06, 2017, 01:05:30 AM
AndOne and Pat:

It was Mississippi College. This will only be their fourth year in a Division II schedule and they have gone 1-9, 2-8 and 3-7 in the first three years, so I would think the jury is out on the Choctaws.

Thanks for the clarification, Pat.  My mistake.  I knew it was one or the other of those two (not counting Miss Valley State), but was too lazy to take the time to look it up, hence the "?" mark.  I agree with you it is too early to pass judgement on the MC program at that level to date, again, similar to the Upper Iowa experience.  It does take time in transitions at any of the levels as everyone would agree I'm sure.  In that same vein, we'll see how Davenport University here in Michigan fares in the next 3-4 years as they have now transitioned to the DII GLIAC in only their 3 year of fb (actually, only two of competition as the first year was just a season of organized practice).

Just Bill

Quote from: formerd3db on August 04, 2017, 07:31:54 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 04, 2017, 01:56:36 PM

Pat:
When did you first hear about Benedictine preliminary exploring going to DII? 

This was the original release on April 4: http://benueagles.com/news/2017/4/4/general-benedictine-to-explore-ncaa-dii-transition.aspx
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

formerd3db

Thank you very much Just Bill for the link.  In reading that, the reasoning does have some legitimate reasons for consideration.  Still, I'm sure some of the/us DIII purists will think they should remain as is. Again, each school has to look at what they believe is in their longterm best interests.

Captain_Joe08

On a random note. With Maranatha canning their program, it seems the trickle-down effect hit the feeder school Maranatha Baptist Academy as they cancelled their 8-man football season because of low numbers.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions