BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on June 02, 2017, 02:27:57 PM
Well it's not like the D2 or NAIA games are any much better attended based on what friends of mine that have had kids get there have to report.

It is a difficult thing after all...not like you can book tickets early if you are travelling by air.  Proximity of the teams competing drives the attendance.

The D2 games this year have been poorly attended.  There were 321 people yesterday at the UCSD/St Thomas Aquinas game out in Grand Prairie.  The D2 WS got good crowds in Cary but not so much this year. 

Purple Heys

Quote from: Jack Parkman on June 02, 2017, 02:38:38 PM
Well it's not like the D2 or NAIA games are any much better attended based on what friends of mine that have had kids get there have to report.

It is a difficult thing after all...not like you can book tickets early if you are travelling by air.  Proximity of the teams competing drives the attendance.

The D2 games this year have been poorly attended.  There were 321 people yesterday at the UCSD/St Thomas Aquinas game out in Grand Prairie.  The D2 WS got good crowds in Cary but not so much this year.

UCSD would be hard pressed to get that sort of attendance at home...
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Purple Heys on June 02, 2017, 06:13:12 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on June 02, 2017, 02:38:38 PM

UCSD would be hard pressed to get that sort of attendance at home...
I went to a CCAA Tournament game a few years back at UCSD and there weren't 300 folks in the stands for that.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Purple Heys on June 01, 2017, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: Jim Dixon on June 01, 2017, 07:34:27 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on June 01, 2017, 06:25:17 PM
One thing that stuck out for me was all the people disguised as empty seats for the championship game - for that matter, most games I saw.

Maybe the local Cedar Rapids community will take a greater interest...

The announced attendance was 22,556 and is the seventh largest attendance in the 18 years at Appleton.  It is less than each of the last previous five World Series.

Is that a cumulative count for the tournament or a game day count?

https://preview.d3photography.com/g/6563

Cumulative count

Teddy_Ballgame

Congratulations to Tanner Nishioka! The SCIAC Player of the Year, West Region Player of the Year, First-Team All-American, First-Team Academic All-American, and loser of the 2017 Pomona-Pitzer alumni baseball game was just selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 9th Round, 281st pick.

Tanner is the third Sagehen since 2009 to be drafted by the Red Sox, and sixth (IIRC) Sagehen drafted since 2003.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on June 13, 2017, 06:08:07 PM
Congratulations to Tanner Nishioka! The SCIAC Player of the Year, West Region Player of the Year, First-Team All-American, First-Team Academic All-American, and loser of the 2017 Pomona-Pitzer alumni baseball game was just selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 9th Round, 281st pick.

Tanner is the third Sagehen since 2009 to be drafted by the Red Sox, and sixth (IIRC) Sagehen drafted since 2003.

That is great news!

MIFDad

Really cool.  And that MIT kid went in round 8.  I told my kid the dream of being drafted isn't over just because he's going D3 not D1.

... only 1/8 serious on that but still, very cool, and why not have a goal when you're playing?

MIFDad

Anybody got a link or basic info on SCIAC rules for fall baseball?

Thanks.

108 Stitches

MIFdad,

There are no SCIAC rules that I know of, just NCAA rules. (you can look them up if you do some searching, I don't remember exactly where they are). Each program is run different but they all revolve around coaching contact hours. Programs get around these by having "captains practices" run by Sr's and coaches will usually watch from a distance. Some teams start early and end early but most give kids a few weeks to adapt and then start a lifting program, then captains practices, then formal practices with coaches and the they usually end with a "world series" of some type.

Gray Fox

They have Captain's practices in the NESCAC.  I know a captain.
Fierce When Roused

MIFDad

I was thinking that I had heard of "official" fall practices from friends with sons playing in other conferences, so I was thinking that SCIAC rules were more restrictive, but I must have been thinking of what a d1 or JC baseball parent had told me.

Thanks.

Appalachian Mtns

FYI - Post from Let's Play Two in Oct 2015 in the SCIAC Fall Ball thread.  As a newbie parent then, I learned that the "official" SCIAC Fall Ball season does not last that long since the SCIAC teams start playing spring games at end of January or beginning of Feb, thus allowing, at most, a few weeks for official SCIAC fall ball, depending when practices begin after the new year.

======

"The SCIAC's rules regarding the non-traditional season are much more restrictive than those permitted by the NCAA.  Practice time, with coaches on the field, is limited to 6 hours per week and no more than 2 hours per day.  The NCAA has established a 19-week season for baseball, so counting back from the SCIAC Championship will determine how many weeks can be used in the fall.  Some schools have January Interim courses (Whittier and La Verne ??) allowing them to start as early as January 4th in 2016, but by doing so, they would only have one week in the fall.  As mentioned in a previous post, "Captain's practices" and conditioning are going on, but without the supervision of a coach on the field.  Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but it is their conference rule.  Hope this provides a little light on the subject!"

MIFDad

I was recently made privy to an email from a coach saying that SCIAC modifications to NCAA D3 baseball rules have been removed as of this season.

Purple Heys

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on August 31, 2017, 01:13:37 PM
Long awaited (needed) upgrades to the Whittier baseball facilities are underway!

http://www.wcpoets.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/releases/20170831ip99ss

Good stuff!

Nice to see WC making a little bit of a commitment to athletics.  I see the football field and track are new and they have a good number of players in camp for football.  The really needed this for baseball as that is probably the least enjoyable places to watch a game in the SCIAC.  Adding some new stands will  give it a better feel for the fans at the games.

Since absolutely nobody asked, I will give my thoughts on the SCIAC ballparks (in no particular order)

Redlands- the grounds crew does an absolutely fantastic job on the playing surface but the rest of the facility is very average.  Driving out to the desert and dealing with the gross air sucks too.

La Verne- They tore down their on-campus field and that makes them pretty low in my book.  Their new spot looks ok but has zero character.

Oxy- This place is awful all around.  This has to be one of the smallest parks in all of college baseball.  Terrible seating for fans and the dugouts are tiny.  I would like to see Oxy make the fences a lot higher than they are (or move them back) simply because a college baseball team should not play on a field that small.

Cal Lu- probably the second best playing surface and by far the best seating for fans.  The new National Champs banner will sure look nice as well.

Whittier- See above

Caltech- Having turf is nice since there is no maintenance but the rest is pretty average.

Claremont- I love the trees that line the outfield but the seating is bad.  The dugouts are pretty good and there is a lot of space all over.  Decent park.

Chapman- I HATE that they use a city park.  I realize there is no place for them to play on campus but the atmosphere stinks.  Playing a regional there wasn't very fun.

Pomona- Really small to right field but I like this park.  The stands are very close to the field and I think the grounds crew does a pretty good job.