FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole86, SPECIAL TEAMS STARTER, uwwcontra2007 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on April 18, 2017, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 18, 2017, 08:54:43 AM
Anyone here watch Better Call Saul?  The wife and I enjoy it.  He's an entertaining character and I think it's a worthy spin off from Breaking Bad.  It's quite a challenge, I imagine, to write a compelling story where the end point is known (just look at how well Lucas did with episodes 1-3 of Star Wars. (that was sarcasm))

Episode 3 of season 2 was on tonight.  It's approaching the start of Breaking Bad.  The wife and I figure it will catch up at the end of this season.  Perhaps it can squeeze one season more in before Saul meets Walt, but it will be difficult.  I wonder if they will run the show parallel to Breaking Bad or perhaps jump to Saul's post BB life.  Assuming it gets more seasons, of course, but I think it will.

My Wife and I are big fans as well.  Watching it via Netflix, with 2 episodes left in season 2. 

They've done a remarkable job I'd say, as far as spinoffs go.  Just enough references to, and characters from BB, but still a different flavor.

I too have been curious when Mike will start working with Gustavo Freng.  Not a spoiler, I don't think, to say that it hasn't happened yet.  I lean towards another season or two until they start running parallel. Season Three just started on cable, I think...so I always have to avoid spoilers until the following year when it hits Netflix.

[EDIT: I just realized that I typed it backwards.  We just finished episode 2 of season 3.]

Interesting.  We get it here on Stan, an Australian Netflix knockoff, the same day as it is released on the network in the US.  Stan has 7% of the Australian TV share (I just read an article on this).  Netflix has about 25% and cable has the rest.  Stan's market share is driven almost entirely off Saul, apparently, as all their other content is the same as anywhere else but they have an exclusive on Saul.  We subscribe for the Saul season and then cancel.

I'll be careful to avoid spoilers.

You may not know this but I find interesting.  The guy who plays Hector Salamanca in Better Call Saul:

Played the much older Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad while actually about 8 years younger:

And he also played the silent assassin, Alberto the Shadow, in Scareface with Al Pacino:

And despite these iconic roles as a Hispanic bad boy, his name is Mark Margolis and he's a Jew from Philadelphia.

There's acting for you.
[  

OzJohnnie

And one more "You may not know this" the guy that played Gustavo Fring in Breaking Bad:

Played key plot device, Jack Bear, in The Usual Suspects (although on the other side of the law):

His name?  Giancarlo Esposito, born in Denmark with an Italian father and American mother.

I feel so ordinary that I can only play who I am.
[  

GoldandBlueBU

Interesting.  I definitely recognized Hector Salamanca as being the same character from BB.

Yeah, with US Netflix, a new season typically hits Netflix about a week or two in advance of the truly new season hitting cable.  (IE - we got access to season 2 about a month or so ago).

We could buy a season pass to in on iTunes for like $20 or $30 and be watching season 3, but are not in that much of a hurry.

"Turn" is another good one if you're looking.  It's about Revolutionary War era spies...Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix, 3 is coming in the next couple of weeks I think, as season 4 (final season) is starting on A&E soon.

badgerwarhawk

I've been following Turn as well. 

I just saw Esposito in something else recently but I can't recall what it was right now. 

Has anyone seen the Netflix series The Killing?  Three seasons about 25 episodes.  Really good.  Lately I just finished the first season of Colony and have started in on Travelers.   
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 18, 2017, 10:32:50 AM
And one more "You may not know this" the guy that played Gustavo Fring in Breaking Bad:

Played key plot device, Jack Bear, in The Usual Suspects (although on the other side of the law):

His name?  Giancarlo Esposito, born in Denmark with an Italian father and American mother.

I feel so ordinary that I can only play who I am.

Interesting stuff. Did you ever get into the short-lived show Revolution?  Giancarlo played the role of a most unlikeable character.

DuffMan

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

wildcat11

Quote from: DuffMan on April 18, 2017, 01:34:58 PM
The Stagg Bowl is leaving Salem...wow!  :o

Salem had a good run for sure and should have special meaning this year...not sure what a Stagg Bowl will look like in Houston.

art76

You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

OzJohnnie

Quote from: wildcat11 on April 18, 2017, 02:06:12 PM

Salem had a good run for sure and should have special meaning this year...not sure what a Stagg Bowl will look like in Houston.

Texas?  Maybe they think they'll get an automatic big crowd in Texas.  Or perhaps the cities offered greater subsidies.

I like the idea that the championship was in the same spot every year. It gave the event depth, making it q destination as well as a game. What do I know?   I'm a stick in the mud.
[  

OzJohnnie

I'll put those three onto the list. We watched The Killing season one and quite liked it but got distracted by the time season two came out.  A friend recommended Turn but the wife saw uniforms and make believe so that was vetoed (I did explain she pretty much described any TV show).  I just read a synopsis of Revolution and that's one for me - the wife refuses to watch those dystopian settings.

No make believe,  no dystopia. Cop show are good, tick. Lawyers,  tick.  Crime, tick.  War, aliens, dystopia, buzzzzzz.
[  

wildcat11

If anybody likes strange but good television then I cannot recommend Black Mirror on Netflix any higher. Modern Day Twilight Zone.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 18, 2017, 05:12:03 PM
Quote from: wildcat11 on April 18, 2017, 02:06:12 PM

Texas?  Maybe they think they'll get an automatic big crowd in Texas.  Or perhaps the cities offered greater subsidies.

I like the idea that the championship was in the same spot every year. It gave the event depth, making it q destination as well as a game. What do I know?   I'm a stick in the mud.
Two years in TX then two years in Canton Ohio at the Tom Benson Hall of Fame stadium... that is a great choice
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

OzJohnnie

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on April 18, 2017, 09:09:03 AM
I too have been curious when Mike will start working with Gustavo Freng.  Not a spoiler, I don't think, to say that it hasn't happened yet.  I lean towards another season or two until they start running parallel.

Another comment on this (how much more is there to say about the Stagg?).  This is why I think they are doing such a good job writing the script.  There are a lot of things we know will happen or current things that must stop but it's still engaging and a mystery as to how it happens.

* We know Mike works with Gustavo in BB.  How do they hook up?
* We know that Hector hates Gustavo for some reason (Hector killed Gustavo by suicide bomb in BB).  Why?
* We know that Jimmy McGill changes his name to Saul Goodman at some point.  Why?  When?
* We know that Jimmy's brother, Chuck, and girlfriend, Kim, are nowhere in BB.  What happened to them?

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that have me hooked.
[  

OzJohnnie

Sad but true but still prideful cartoon in the paper here today.  *sniff*

[  

sjusection105

As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!