BB: Midwest Region

Started by BaseballFan, February 18, 2007, 10:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaseballFan

Quote from: cubs on May 11, 2017, 12:23:40 PM
Quote from: MIACLUV on May 10, 2017, 01:47:30 PM
I've been on a board break for a while, but I think it's time to break the silence. As I look through this Midwest Region this could be the year that I believe it's anyone's regional to be had. Sadly I believe that the MIAC may only be a 1-bid conference which is frightening given the Tommies past couple years in the MIAC tourney. Same can be said for the WIAC, if WW takes care of business, as is tradition, that will leave LAX with 17 losses and even though their SOS is crazy good, a 17 loss team getting a C bid is RARE, again if Tommies stumble that leaves them a 16 loss C candidate. In the MIAC we can look to Bethel with a chance, but SOS (as usual) is poor. Great record, but play some good teams already! Bethel's "Best offense in the MIAC" got dominated by St Scholastica's #3 and had 2 hits, at home! Getting to see the Tommies vs St. Scholastica on Sunday was an eye opener, the St. Scholastica offense is pretty solid top to bottom, and their game 1 pitching was solid. Game 2 for both teams looked to be a playoff prep with both teams taking out some of their regulars and pitching guys that have very little stats to speak of, SS is a strong#4 seed. It was nice to see the Tommies middle of the order get rolling in that 2nd game, hopefully that carries over.

A-Bids
MIAC - St. Thomas
WIAC - UW Whitewater
UMAC - St. Scholastica
NACC - Conc-Chicago

C-Bid Hopefuls
WIAC - UW Lax (SOS puts them in the talks)
MIAC - Bethel (SOS may keep them from being a lock)
UMAC - Temps in hell still above freezing
NACC - Conc. Wis (Making the Conf. Tournament final is a MUST)

The Midwest Regional will be a 6 team, with a strong Central team coming up as a 2 or 3 seed and one of those three C-bid hopeful's makes it just to fill it out.
I'll be the first to admit that I haven't followed the Minnesota schools as much as I normally do, so with that said, the first question I would ask is do any of them have the depth in their starting rotation #1-4 to win a Regional? 

The reason I ask, is that I think the quartet of Jones/Renz/Wuethrich/Kaska that Whitewater will be able to send out their might be one of the deepest and talented rotations Vodenlich has had and as we all know, it always seems to come down to pitching this time of year.

I have gone on record stating that the WIAC was a one-bid league this year, however with La Crosse sticking at #5 in the Regional Rankings this week, assuming there aren't any upsets in the other Midwest Tournaments (WIAC, MIAC, NACC, and UMAC) they would likely be at the table from the start to represent the region.  If that is the case, that SOS number might just be enough to overcome the 17 losses.

CSS is 5-3 against those currently ranked in the region. With splitting against  UWWs top two pitchers (CSS didn't throw their top two) and beat Boushley with LAX. They also just shutout Bethel and gave up 1 run to the tommies in the first game of a DH.

BigPoppa

CSS's pitching depth is always a question as the UMAC is so weak they can usually get by throwing just about anyone and have the ability to use their top arms for big non-conference games. I know that many think the UMAC is better than many years but when CSS has won every single UMAC title ever, and did it again this season, I see that as a sign they aren't tested in league. Still, I like CSS this season and I have seen their recruiting efforts spill more into the Twin Cites in past 2-3 years than it has before.

They are no longer content with just getting to the regional and appear to making a legitimate run at it the past few seasons.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

MIACLUV

Tommies pretty much pounded the nail in the coffin today. Decaster getting hit all over the yard today was not expected, gotta feeling it's going to be a 3rd straight season without a regiona berth. Huge MAC fan right now!

cubs

Quote from: MIACLUV on May 10, 2017, 01:47:30 PM
Sadly I believe that the MIAC may only be a 1-bid conference which is frightening given the Tommies past couple years in the MIAC tourney. Same can be said for the WIAC, if WW takes care of business, as is tradition, that will leave LAX with 17 losses and even though their SOS is crazy good, a 17 loss team getting a C bid is RARE, again if Tommies stumble that leaves them a 16 loss C candidate. In the MIAC we can look to Bethel with a chance, but SOS (as usual) is poor. Great record, but play some good teams already! Bethel's "Best offense in the MIAC" got dominated by St Scholastica's #3 and had 2 hits, at home!
According to the projections that Pat and his staff have made, they think the MIAC gets not just one, but two Pool C bids along with La Crosse being a virtual Pool C "lock."
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

mr_b

Here are the teams that made the tournament

Midwest Region Hosted by Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, Wis.
1. UW-Whitewater
2. Concordia-Chicago
3. Adrian
4. St. Scholastica
5. UW-La Crosse
6. St. Thomas
7. Macalester
8. St. Norbert

cubs

Here are the FINAL Regional Rankings:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3

1.   Wisconsin Whitewater   
2.   Concordia Chicago   
3.   St. Scholastica      
4.   Wisconsin-La Crosse   
5.   St. Thomas      
6.   Bethel    
7.   Concordia Wisconsin      
8.   Saint John's   

*Of note, Adrian, who is being shipped into the Midwest Regional, was ranked #3 in the final Mideast Region Rankings.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BaseballFan

Word on the street is St Scholastica will be hosting the Midwest regional at Wade Stadium

BigPoppa

Quote from: BaseballFan on February 05, 2018, 11:54:55 AM
Word on the street is St Scholastica will be hosting the Midwest regional at Wade Stadium

I'd be shocked if that actually happens. Great venue, but the city is nearly impossible to work with regarding that stadium. I know the high school and MSHSL organizations have always had issues. High School playoffs were moved away from Wade at last minute last year and schools were forced to scramble even though they had dates locked in for Wade Stadium. City of Duluth just decided they didn't want to host it.

Still, if they can make it happen, it would be a great addition to the tourney. Great city, a lot to do and cool venue. (Still, there is a chance it could snow... welcome to Duluth. I had a high school game there last year on May 13th that was 34* w 20 mph winds off Lake Superior (just one week ahead of NCAA tourney) ... with snow flurries...enjoy)

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BigPoppa

Ralph Turner

BaseballFan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 05, 2018, 06:06:04 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 05, 2018, 03:20:59 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on February 05, 2018, 02:44:33 PM
Quote from: BaseballFan on February 05, 2018, 02:25:29 PM
http://csssaints.com/news/2018/2/5/st-scholastica-to-host-2018-ncaa-midwest-baseball-regional.aspx

Great for CSS!

BigPoppa is shocked!

WOW! You are not kidding.... stunned!
... where everyone is more than 500 miles away...

Good for them.
Only those outside the Midwest region are. . All of miac is within 250, only a couple in WIAC are over 300. NCAA has already proven they are willing to fly teams so that can solve moving a team into the region if need be. Now a Midwest regional will get played at an appropriate size field

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BaseballFan on February 05, 2018, 09:08:33 PM
http://csssaints.com/news/2018/2/5/st-scholastica-to-host-2018-ncaa-midwest-baseball-regional.aspx

Great for CSS!

BigPoppa is shocked!

Good for them.
Only those outside the Midwest region are. . All of miac is within 250, only a couple in WIAC are over 300. NCAA has already proven they are willing to fly teams so that can solve moving a team into the region if need be. Now a Midwest regional will get played at an appropriate size field
Thanks for the comment on the field size. +1!

In any case, you are looking at 2-4 plane flights in the West Region, depending on who hosts.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 05, 2018, 09:50:26 PM
Quote from: BaseballFan on February 05, 2018, 09:08:33 PM

Great for CSS!

And Duluth is only a two hour bus ride from the Twin Cities should teams need to be flown in. I really think people from outside the region are going to fall in love with the City of Duluth.
A quick drive up the north shore is one of the most beautiful rides in America... amazing scenery, waterfalls galore, state parks and lighthouses and Betty's Pies.

BigPoppa is shocked!

Good for them.
Thanks for the comment on the field size. +1!

In any case, you are looking at 2-4 plane flights in the West Region, depending on who hosts.