Author Topic: West Region Independent Schedule  (Read 48138 times)

Offline Gray Fox

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: West Region Independent Schedule
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 07:15:52 pm »
It's that time of the year again!!!

Any updates on any D3 West Indy's out there and how they might fare this year? C'mon people, rep your team! The independents have to stick together. I know Chapman opens the season at Claermont tonight. Lets hear from someone from these other schools:

La Sierra( Those games count now I think)
UC Santa Cruz
Neb. Weslyan
Dallas

UDallas has affiliated with the North Eastern Athletic Conference for at least the next two years.

They will compete in the conference tourney for the basketball AQ.

The men's soccer team won the NEAC AQ.
Ralph,
That has to be the strangest conference and relationship that I have ever seen.
Donít pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, heíll just kill you.

Offline cawcdad

• All-American
  • Cats are on the Prowl!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »
It's that time of the year again!!!

Any updates on any D3 West Indy's out there and how they might fare this year? C'mon people, rep your team! The independents have to stick together. I know Chapman opens the season at Claermont tonight. Lets hear from someone from these other schools:

La Sierra( Those games count now I think)
UC Santa Cruz
Neb. Weslyan
Dallas

UDallas has affiliated with the North Eastern Athletic Conference for at least the next two years.

They will compete in the conference tourney for the basketball AQ.

The men's soccer team won the NEAC AQ.
Even so, UDallas is playing at the "Independents" tournament with UCSC, La Sierra and Chapman to be played at UC Santa Cruz at the end of January.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
  • I'm a poor lonesome cowboy...a long way from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 01:51:15 am »
C'mon people, rep your team! The independents have to stick together.

OK. I'm going to revive this part of the board. You're right. Indies don't get any respect from anyone. Let's show 'em!

Chapman is playing La Sierra at home on Thursday January 15, and then they're off to Santa Cruz for an Independent Tournament during the weekend of January 23-25. La Sierra, U Dallas and UCSC also participate in this tournament.

Chapman is having a great season (12-2 so far) and if they don't have any major accident, could end up 18-2 against D3 teams in their regions. This would give them a good shot at the playoff. Their biggest challenge is going to be a much improved UC Santa Cruz team, which they get to play twice on their home court by the end of the season. GO PANTHERS!!

Offline elfinley

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Univ. of Dallas
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 06:19:02 pm »
How can Dallas play in the NEAC, a conference of teams in New York and Pennsylvania? That is just plain stupid.

The west region seemed to start having a good thing going with the round robin and post-season tournaments with UCSC, Chapman, Neb. Wesleyan,and now La Sierra which now counts on the regional record. North Central(MN) is an independent, maybe they can get into some of WRI play.

I cant imagine what U of D was thinking joining a conference that is geographically farther than coming to california.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Dallas
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 06:36:41 pm »
How can Dallas play in the NEAC, a conference of teams in New York and Pennsylvania? ...
The Automatic Qualifier!

The UDallas men's soccer team won the NEAC soccer tourney and played in the NCAA tourney as a Pool A.

I am curious to see how UDallas does in the Men's and Women's Hoops tourney and then the UDallas women next fall in Volleyball.

The UDallas women's cross country team brought home the (NEAC) conference trophy last fall!

As I read the UDallas press releases, it seems that they are double-dipping on Athlete of the Week awards, i.e., getting them both from AD3I and NEAC.

UDallas will only be an affiliate of the NEAC as long as the NEAC needs them to keep their AQ, 3-4 years at most!

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 06:00:03 pm »
I cant imagine what U of D was thinking joining a conference that is geographically farther than coming to california.

OK, on a practical note, I would agree with you. But let me tell you that being part of a conference trumps practicality in my opinion. Chapman has been desperately trying to get into a Conference, to no avail. I heard they tried twice to get into the SCIAC (logical choice, right?! since they play most of these teams on any given seasons and it's in their backyard) but got turned down, the first time because they were alledgedly too small, and the second time "too big"!! Go figure...

Now of course, if Chapman would join the Northwest Conference, traveling would be a burden, but I'm sure they would nevertheless welcome that. As an Independent, you don't get any respect from NCAA for playoffs spots, building a "strong" schedule is difficult and players don't get to be motivated by a rivalry or winning the Conference title.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 10:04:30 pm »
Independents that build decent schedules get respect. I think Chapman got jobbed last year but that is the ONLY time the Chapman men's basketball team has gotten snubbed.

If there's such a bias against independents, how does the Chapman WBB team and baseball team get into the tournament on a regular basis? Bottom line, this string of records is not one that's going to get at-large bids:

2008 20-7 (12-5 in-region)
2007 21-5 (15-5 in-region)
2006 20-7 (10-4 in-region)
2005 18-7 (9-3 in-region)
2004 16-8 (7-5 in-region)
2003 18-7 (2-6 in-region)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 01:48:34 am »
Bottom line, this string of records is not one that's going to get at-large bids:

...yet Pomona makes it into the playoffs with a 15-13 record and a 8-6 in the SCIAC. OK, so they finish 4th in the Conference and then somehow manage to win the title. Fine. But you understand why Independents have it relatively hard. You have plenty of chances to redeem yourself when you belong to a Conference. But when you're an Independent, you have to be the best every night, because your margin of error is very very thin.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Offline elfinley

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 02:25:07 am »
I certainly agree with you oldchap, but I see the others point as well.

I think 2 things need to happen to get the recognition we all want this region to have:

1. Teams out here need to find a way and play more D3's that will get them more attention. Playing West Coast Baptist is I think a lose/lose situation. Invite teams to california, or just travel out more.

2. Teams just need to get better. Chapman always have good teams, UCSC is getting better, but La Sierra really needs to improve. Beating La Sierra is just not helping anyones SOSI.

The round robin and post-season tournaments are good starts. What do you think of the winner of the post-season tourney getting a AQ? A long shot I know, just trying to stir up conversation.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 10:41:24 am »
Bottom line, this string of records is not one that's going to get at-large bids:

...yet Pomona makes it into the playoffs with a 15-13 record and a 8-6 in the SCIAC. OK, so they finish 4th in the Conference and then somehow manage to win the title. Fine. But you understand why Independents have it relatively hard. You have plenty of chances to redeem yourself when you belong to a Conference. But when you're an Independent, you have to be the best every night, because your margin of error is very very thin.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Teams in conferences without automatic bids have the same issues -- it's not just independents. But everyone knows before the season what they need to do to make the playoffs. Heck, Division III bent over backwards about 10 years ago to get these teams into the tournament, creating a whole separate pool of bids set aside for them. You just have to perform.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 05:17:41 pm »
1. Teams out here need to find a way and play more D3's that will get them more attention. Playing West Coast Baptist is I think a lose/lose situation. Invite teams to california, or just travel out more.

2. Teams just need to get better. Chapman always have good teams, UCSC is getting better, but La Sierra really needs to improve. Beating La Sierra is just not helping anyones SOSI.

The round robin and post-season tournaments are good starts. What do you think of the winner of the post-season tourney getting a AQ? A long shot I know, just trying to stir up conversation.

Strength of schedule is certainly a major issue for Independents. In the case of Chapman, playing La Sierra 4 times this year sure isn't going to bring the OWP or OOWP percentage up. And BTW, I have absolutely nothing against the school and the basketball program, they either need to get stronger, or match up with opponents of equivalent strength.

Finding stronger opponents to play against is desirable. If these teams are out of the region, then you're only gaining exposure and "respect" because one of the main criterion to make it in Pool B is your regional record. It would also help the team get better prepared when comes playoff time, as constantly playing against weaker teams makes you soft and gives you a false sense of superiority. I know Chapman is going to Hawaii next year and will probably play against much stronger opponents. That's good.

Ideally, there should be no "independents". Each team should be invited to play in a conference and additional conferences should be formed. For instance, Chapman should be a member of SCIAC. They belong in this Conference due to proximity and team strength. Why is Caltech in the SCIAC is a mystery to me? Why would you subject yourself to having 1-24 records year after year? Caltech should move to an easier Conference (perhaps non NCAA) and Chapman should take their spot. I know it will never happen, but wouldn't that be nice?  ;D

Short of this, I think that Independents (not only regionally but the entire nation) should organize a playoff of their own. This would increase the amount of travel, but then the winner and runner up could get an AQ. To make room in the schedule, you would eliminate games against non NCAA D3 schools.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 07:43:57 am »
The Independent round robin tournament at UC Santa Cruz had its share of drama and interesting results. Out of the 4 teams participating, UC Santa Cruz, La Sierra, University of Dallas and Chapman University, no team finished undefeated. Two teams finished with a 2-1 record while the other two were 1-2.

La Sierra, a team with a dismal record so far, showed a lot of heart and gumption during this tournament. Despite the fact that Chapman defeated them easily twice already this season, they gave Chapman a run for their money. Tied 30-30 at the half, it took a lot of effort from Chapman to come off with a 10  point win. The second game was certainly a nailbiter, with University of Dallas, another struggling team, pulling an upset by beating UC Santa Cruz by 2 points. The same University of Dallas pulled an even bigger upset by beating Chapman University, a contender for the playoffs this year and entering the tournament with a 13-2 record, by 3 points. Chapman, typically hot from the 3-point line (over 40% for the season) went cold for this game, shooting an awful 1 for 10. Part of its woes came from a very scrappy defense by Dallas. They well deserved the win, having led most of the game. After these two great wins, Dallas unfortunately lost to La Sierra. It was another close game, La Sierra pulling the upset by 2 points. Finally, Chapman deafeated UC Santa Cruz, in a game that saw Chapman almost blow a 16 point lead,  and eventually rebound and win it by 10.

On the view of what happened this weekend, the post-season Independent tournament, featuring the same teams seen at Santa Cruz, promises to be very exciting. Chapman has a chance to make it to the playoffs as a Pool B pick this year. If they want to hang on to their chance, they certainly can't afford another loss to a team with a losing record.

Offline cawcdad

• All-American
  • Cats are on the Prowl!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 12:04:52 am »
Wished I'd have know you were there oldchap. Here are links to pictures from Sunday's games.
La Sierra vs. University of Dallas
UC Santa Cruz vs. Chapman

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »
Cawcdad, the pictures are great!! Thanks!

Chapman had no trouble once again defeating La Sierra last Thursday, winning by 20 points. They have now beat La Sierra 4 times this season. This makes Chapman's loss to UDallas at the Santa Cruz tournament that much more frustrating, especially if this loss ends up costing them a Pool B berth. (At the Indies tournament in Santa Cruz, Dallas beat Chapman by 3 points and then ended up losing to La Sierra).

Chapman has only one more game against a DIII oponent, before heading into the post season independent tournament. They will play UC Santa Cruz at Santa Cruz on February 8. They also have 5 other games against non NCAA teams, out of which two will be against GSAC NAIA Div I teams. Vanguard and Hope aren't necessarily the top GSAC teams but they provide much needed heightened competition for Chapman.

Offline oldchap

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 03:18:24 pm »
Chapman had no problem beating West Coast Baptist in Lancaster last night, by a score of 64-40. West Coast Baptist is part of the Pacific Christian Athletic Conference (PCAC) which generally produces teams that are quite a bit less competitive than NCAA DIII.

Chapman's next game is in Santa Cruz this coming Sunday (2/8) where they will rematch UC Santa Cruz. Chapman won the first meeting two weeks ago and I'm sure the slugs are looking for revenge. This game will mark the last matchup for Chapman with a DIII team this season, except for the post-season Independent tournament slated for the end of February.

Chapman is still vying for a spot in the playoffs this season, through a Pool B bid. Their current record is 17-3.