MBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by njachoopsfan, March 16, 2005, 01:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Somehow got on this board and read the latest posts...in particular those dealing with the Nescac.
It is to be noted that TCNJ HC's for BOTH Basketball teams were selected Coach of The Year and came from Nescac schools.
Side note...The Father of the HC of the Men's team at TCNJ and I posted a little about his son's recruiting, several years back. His father stated that his son's teams will get better when he recruits players as tall as him.  I must add...as good too!  His son was on a Nat. title team at Amherst and stands at least 6'7".

phil

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on March 06, 2018, 10:55:16 AM
Point taken! I was more so talking just hoops - but I hear you Phil. Being a TCNJ alumni, what do you think of the direction the program is heading?
Now THAT is a loaded question. I go back a lot of years... all the way to head coach Tom McCorry in the 70's – who, according to good sources, said that the Trenton State basketball program could never be turned into a winner. He allegedly said this to Kevin Bannon who finished up his time as Trenton State's head coach by having a 30-2 season and sending Greg Grant to the NBA as he moved on to coach D1 Rider. That was in '89. They have not won an NCAA game since – which isn't exactly a revelation as they've only been to the NCAA tourney twice since the Greg Grant era. Once the year after Grant left for the NBA, and once in '97 when they were blown out by Rowan in their own gym after beating the Profs two out of three times that season.

SO, you asked me what I thought about the direction of the program... it's been almost 30 years since TCNJ last won an NCAA tourney game – so the bar ain't exactly set high. I had high hopes for last year until B. Brackett was injured near the end of the season. This year I didn't have high expectations – and they obviously over-achieved. But at some point you have to find a way to win a couple of those big games at the end of the season. Twenty plus wins and a spot in the NJAC finals should get you a ticket to the NCAA tourney most years. We'll see what next year brings with the graduation of Bermudez & Murdock. I'm cautiously optimistic... about both the men's and women's programs. It's been a long, long (long, long, long), time since I've been able to say that.

AllStar

Congratulations to Ramapo!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ramapo back to the final four for the first time since 1991... and first time an NJAC has gotten to Salem since 2009 - only third time this century (and in my soon-to-be 18th visit).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

UWO Titan 78

Just looking for some information on Ramapo as we match up in the Final Four. The Titans will bring a very balanced squad into Salem. We start 1 senior, 2 juniors, and 2 sophs. All 5 starters average double figures. We start one post player (6-8 Jack Flynn) and surround him with 4 shooters (Adam Fravert is a 6-8 forward, so we do have decent size in the starting lineup). Our three guards love to shoot the three (as evidenced by us shooting 35 of them in the Regional final). Ben Boots is our leading scorer, and he will shoot itfrom just about anywhere. The WIAC is a very physical conference (that I liken to the Big 10 on the D1 level). Our starters all play meaningful minutes, and we don't have a ton of production off the bench. If we get too physical, we could get into foul trouble and that could hurt us. The Titans are trying to join Platteville, Whitewater, and Stevens Point as men's basketball National Champions from the conference. I admit that I don't know much about Ramapo. I'm hoping somebody on this board can fill me in. Good luck on Friday.

Knightstalker

Ramapo can play smothering defense.  Chuck McBreen has always preached defense, in fact that is most of the NJAC.  If Bonacum in on look out he can hit from anywhere.  If you wanted to compare the NJAC to a D1 conference I would use the old Big East, even the weaker teams play good defense and can  beat you if you don't take them seriously.  I only saw them online this season but I know how Chuck McBreen coaches his teams and they are always tough.  Hopefully it will be a good game.  Go Ramapo.  Ok I just threw up a little bit in mouth over that.  But they are a NJAC team.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

NJBALLERZ

Congrats to Ramapo on reaching the Final Four. Knocking off a Landmark, Centennial, and NESCAC team along the way! Great look for the NJAC - desperately needed a team to make a run ASAP!!

NJBALLERZ

Less thank a week away! College basketball is back! Excited to see who emerges out of the NJAC this year. Gotta think its NJCU's to lose with reigning All-American, Sam Toney leading.

TheOsprey

All teams in action this week.  Rowan, MSU, Ramapo opening up with wins.  Really excited to see NJCU get to work.  NJAC action to start next week   :)

TheOsprey

Just noticed that Kashaun Barnes transferred to Ramapo from Stockton.  He hit a trey to tie the game with 5 secs. and the Roadrunners beat Yeshiva at the buzzer.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: TheOsprey on November 14, 2018, 10:06:06 PM
Just noticed that Kashaun Barnes transferred to Ramapo from Stockton.  He hit a trey to tie the game with 5 secs. and the Roadrunners beat Yeshiva at the buzzer.

Yeah, I saw that too. Apparently the NJAC doesn't have that rule (like the WIAC) where you have to sit out a year if you transfer to an intra-conference team. Speaking of Ramapo, surprised you didn't mention who hit that game-winning 3...Rob McWilliams. He's on fire to start the season, averaging 26.5 and 13.5 through just two games. Granted he's not going to sustain that, but it could also not be just a flash in the pan. He transferred to Ramapo last year and played sparingly, 10+ minutes a game, but as a freshamn at Messiah, he was a part-time starter and was the 2nd leading scorer on the team. So naturally, I had to pick him up on my fantasy team!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 16, 2018, 09:02:18 AM
Quote from: TheOsprey on November 14, 2018, 10:06:06 PM

Yeah, I saw that too. Apparently the NJAC doesn't have that rule (like the WIAC) where you have to sit out a year if you transfer to an intra-conference team. Speaking of Ramapo, surprised you didn't mention who hit that game-winning 3...Rob McWilliams. He's on fire to start the season, averaging 26.5 and 13.5 through just two games. Granted he's not going to sustain that, but it could also not be just a flash in the pan. He transferred to Ramapo last year and played sparingly, 10+ minutes a game, but as a freshamn at Messiah, he was a part-time starter and was the 2nd leading scorer on the team. So naturally, I had to pick him up on my fantasy team!

There are VERY few, if any other than the WIAC, who have the rule about transferring intra-conference. There may be others, but I honestly only know of the WIAC (though, the CCIW also pops up in my recollections). Many in the division feel it is very un-DIII.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Is the rule prevalent in D1?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 16, 2018, 02:48:35 PM
Is the rule prevalent in D1?

Lots of D1 conference have that rule.  Many other D1 schools simply won't approve a transfer in conference.  I believe that's how Sydney Moss ended up at Thomas More.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere