BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: cubs on April 23, 2018, 01:24:20 PM
Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 23, 2018, 12:52:35 PM
I will point out that you will see a lot of losses added to the top three teams as they have plenty of games against each other coming up.
If I am looking at it correctly, Oshkosh has five head-to-head games left against the other two (with three of them coming this week) while Whitewater has six and Stevens Point seven. 

Let's say Whitewater goes 3-3, Oshkosh 3-2, and Stevens Point 3-4 (just spitballin' with the numbers) all of them could realistically finish with single digit losses on the season should they take care of business against the rest of the WIAC.

If that is how things ended up playing out, I would think those resume's would stack up well against teams like Case-Western Reserve and others.

I think it is safe to say that of the Top 4 Pool B contenders, (UWW, UWO, UWSP, CWR) they win out and their in.  NYU could sneak in as well.

cubs

I will point out that you will see a lot of losses added to the top three teams as they have plenty of games against each other coming up.
If I am looking at it correctly, Oshkosh has five head-to-head games left against the other two (with three of them coming this week) while Whitewater has six and Stevens Point seven. 

Let's say Whitewater goes 3-3, Oshkosh 3-2, and Stevens Point 3-4 (just spitballin' with the numbers) all of them could realistically finish with single digit losses on the season should they take care of business against the rest of the WIAC.

If that is how things ended up playing out, I would think those resume's would stack up well against teams like Case-Western Reserve and others.
And right on cue, Stevens Point gets swept by Stout (7-16/4-8) yesterday 5-2 and 4-3....  In addition, they threw their #1 and #2 guys, so they won't be available against UWO this morning.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Jim Dixon

Quote from: cubs on April 26, 2018, 08:41:50 AM

And right on cue, Stevens Point gets swept by Stout (7-16/4-8) yesterday 5-2 and 4-3....  In addition, they threw their #1 and #2 guys, so they won't be available against UWO this morning.

After seeing the split with UWW and UWO, I was on board for three WIAC teams, then Point does this?

BigPoppa

I am guessing much of the nation wants the WIAC out of Pool B as quickly as possible. Though this COULD help teams in Pool C that will no longer have to go head-to-head at the table with WIAC schools who will have already been pulled out of the mix.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

cubs

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 26, 2018, 01:59:04 PM
Quote from: cubs on April 26, 2018, 08:41:50 AM

After seeing the split with UWW and UWO, I was on board for three WIAC teams, then Point does this?
And Point loses again, this time 3-2 to UWO this afternoon....

cubs

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 24, 2018, 10:47:25 AM

I think it is safe to say that of the Top 4 Pool B contenders, (UWW, UWO, UWSP, CWR) they win out and their in.  NYU could sneak in as well.
Case Western Reserve #1
Whitewater #2
Stevens Point #3
Oshkosh #4
New York #7

Full Rankings:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3/regional-rankings

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 26, 2018, 02:01:20 PM
I am guessing much of the nation wants the WIAC out of Pool B as quickly as possible. Though this COULD help teams in Pool C that will no longer have to go head-to-head at the table with WIAC schools who will have already been pulled out of the mix.
+1!

cubs

So in those head-to-head match-ups, here is what the final tally looks like:

Whitewater-4-2 (Pool B "lock" at 27-5/17-3 in my opinion, as long as they at least split with La Crosse this weekend.)

Oshkosh-4-1 (Sitting in good spot for Pool B/C bid at 28-7/15-5 as long as they take care of business against Illinois Tech this weekend.)

Stevens Point-1-6 (Have pretty much played their way out of the conversation with their play over the last couple of weeks, going from a #3 to #5, to likely unranked Regional Ranking this week.)

Mike Lehman

Time for my annual rant that Pool B and Pool C's bid should be combined into all At Large Bids. Does D2 or D1 have Pool B. I dont think so. I dont agree with the reason why they need to be separated.  Done for 2018. I witness personally the many years a West Coast team took advantage of the being a POOL B team but not no more.  Good luck to all

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 11, 2018, 09:15:14 PM
Time for my annual rant that Pool B and Pool C's bid should be combined into all At Large Bids. Does D2 or D1 have Pool B. I dont think so. I dont agree with the reason why they need to be separated.  Done for 2018. I witness personally the many years a West Coast team took advantage of the being a POOL B team but not no more.  Good luck to all
D-2 does not have the automatic qualifier.

I believe that D-1 has the Pool B bid, as uncommon as that is. I think that Dallas Baptist earned a Pool B bid in baseball several years ago.

Jim Dixon

If they relaxed the number of teams in a conference for an automatic bid, they can drop the pool b bid

BigPoppa

So how many WIAC Pool B bids go out? This is a nightmare scenario for Pool B teams... most will have to compete as Pool Cs. And this will continue as long as the WIAC is a Pool B conference.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 12, 2018, 01:24:37 PM

If they relaxed the number of teams in a conference for an automatic bid, they can drop the pool b bid
...and then the ASC and the USA South would split into 2 Pool A conferences, which would take away 2 Pool C bids.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 13, 2018, 08:07:40 PM
Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 12, 2018, 01:24:37 PM

...and then the ASC and the USA South would split into 2 Pool A conferences, which would take away 2 Pool C bids.

If that is what they want to do.  Remember that UTT is thinking D2 so there might not be enough teams.  Look at the MAC with a freedom and commonwealth conference.  They are doing exactly this, grabbing a second auto bid.

cubs

Am I missing something, or did the UAA get shut out altogether for this year's Regionals?