WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on March 18, 2018, 03:13:46 PM
Quote from: amh63 on March 18, 2018, 10:19:52 AM
Gordonmann...enjoyed your writeup!  Yes, Emma, a transfer from Fairfield, was put in a game her FY and lost a year of play....even after Amherst filed for reconsideration.  Emma was recovering from a "hip" problem early in the season when I dropped by late in the Fall for Homecoming.  One of Amherst's juniors was also recovering from an injury.  Amherst brought in only one player this year.  She got in with her sister in the last few minutes and scored 4 points.  Both talented players are local players from nearby Granby...their father is a HS principal.  The older sister won a NCAA award this weekend for her "smarts".  Yes, Amherst loses 4 players.  As I posted earlier, it is rumored that HC G.P. has 4 talented players coming in...more length?.  Note that Amherst tends to play with a " short"
Bench...but a bench full of talented players that can step in.
Hope they are on ronk's list :).
Oh yes, there are three players...two starters...that are multi-sport players.  One reason that talented student athletes pick D3 schools vice D1...even over the Ivies.

I know that you have a Mammoth network of Amherst confidants; when you get the names, send me a PM and I'll let you know if I've seen them play. Haven't heard of any Amherst 2018s yet, but both sides have tightened security in view of the 2016s'(current sophs) situation.  ;) I only have a couple undeclareds left on my 2018 list that Amherst MIGHT be interested in but even 1 of those is probably going to play D1 soccer rather than D3 basketball.
  Was talking last weekend with a Williams' assistant(former Scranton star) at the Scranton sectional involving Tufts and Bowdoin, also, but she said she wasn't scouting those NESCAC schools; was there to support Scranton, instead. Forgot to inquire who Williams had coming in next year; must be getting old.  ::)

With Amherst's admissions schedule, wouldn't anyone coming in for next year be pretty much lock in at this point?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

P'bearfan

Congrats to both Amherst and Bowdoin on great seasons.  Pretty impressive to have a NESCAC final.

truenorth

Yes, congratulations to both Amherst and Bowdoin on fabulous seasons!  And a tip of the cap to Amherst for their impressive two year run...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The 2017-18 season is now complete. Congratulations to Nebraska Wesleyan and Amherst on their Division III national championships!

However, there is still some business to take care of ... we need to wrap up the season on Hoopsville.

Tune in Thursday, March 22 as Dave McHugh is joined by a few guests as we look back at the Championship Weekends along with looking ahead at what should be a busy off-season and exciting 2018-19 season.

Plus, it what may be surprising to some and expected from others, we talk to the now-retiring Mark Edwards of WashU men's basketball. We chat about 37 incredible years and why he feels it is time to walk off the court for good.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 2:00 p.m. ET on Thursday in the video player above.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests include (in order of appearance; subject to change):
- Mark Edwards, No. 15 WashU men's head coach
- Dale Wellman, No. 1 Nebraska Wesleyan head coach (from Sunday's postgame show)
- Tim Fitzpatrick, Coast Guard AD and men's basketball committee chair (from Sunday's postgame show)
- Gordon Mann interview with Emma McCarthy, No. 1 Amherst sophomore forward
- Max Pearce, SUNY Purchase Senior guard participating in the State Farm College Slam Dunk Championship in San Antonio
- Nathan Dennison, VP of Sales at Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Ind. (from Sunday's postgame show)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Was watching the D2 women semis yesterday(involving Indiana U of PA which had some players that I had seen in AAU) and they had a screen shot of the all-time streaks in college basketball(UConn women had the top 2, then UCLA men, then Wash U women @ 82, then Ashland women(IUP's opponent yesterday @ 73 and counting). So, Amherst is getting into heady times with their current streak @ 66 and counting.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on March 22, 2018, 03:38:18 PM
Was watching the D2 women semis yesterday(involving Indiana U of PA which had some players that I had seen in AAU) and they had a screen shot of the all-time streaks in college basketball(UConn women had the top 2, then UCLA men, then Wash U women @ 82, then Ashland women(IUP's opponent yesterday @ 73 and counting). So, Amherst is getting into heady times with their current streak @ 66 and counting.

Yes... yes they are. When we are talking about having a chance to get to WashU's record alone... makes me very aware of how insane a level they are at currently.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

Dave...your Hoopsville's broadcast wrt Amherst's Emma did not happen? What happen?  Also, Emma is listed inncorrect...she is an academic junior, but a senior wrt to WBB.  Believe she will be an assistant coach after a semester abroad for next year.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Couple of things:

First we did accidentally leave off the interview with Emma McCarthy. Not sure how, but it didn't help when we shuffled the order of guests to get one of our live guests into a better slot (since we were running late) AND I realized at the last moment before air we needed to slot in the Jostens winners.

Another perfect example of why we need more human resources on this show than I am able to achieve.

We uploaded the interview that Gordon Mann conducted and it is available at the bottom of our show page along with a disclaiminer: http://bit.ly/2IGZ92E

As for what we list her by, I go by and trust the information given to me by the schools. They have her listed as a junior on their online roster, that is the information I go by. There are a lot of reasons for why she might be listed as a junior, but I go by their information. She actually should only be listed as a sophomore since this was only her second year on the team (it is based on eligibility) unless she used it somewhere else.

That all said, she says early on in the interview that this is her last season with the team ... but time will tell.

Homer

emma was undefeated in her career at amherst.  unfortunately she played 9 games for fairfield u. over two years.  i think 7 games her freshman year and 2 games her sophomore year, so she only had two years of eligibility left when she got to amherst.   academically, she was unable to transfer some credits from fairfield and came in as an academic sophomore. she is planning to spend the fall semester next year overseas and help coach the team in the spring semester.  she could not have ended her playing career with three better games than the ones she played against Rochester, TM, and Bowdoin.   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Homer on March 26, 2018, 10:10:39 AM
emma was undefeated in her career at amherst.  unfortunately she played 9 games for fairfield u. over two years.  i think 7 games her freshman year and 2 games her sophomore year, so she only had two years of eligibility left when she got to amherst.   academically, she was unable to transfer some credits from fairfield and came in as an academic sophomore. she is planning to spend the fall semester next year overseas and help coach the team in the spring semester.  she could not have ended her playing career with three better games than the ones she played against Rochester, TM, and Bowdoin.

Very likely the Fairfield experience killed her eligibility. I lose track of transfers very easily. According to Fairfield's stats, she played in 11 games her freshman campaign and 8 her sophomore campaign. That would use up those two years of eligibility.

Not sure why Amherst would then list her as a junior as she clearly was a senior this year. She might be a junior academically, but that's why online rosters are supposed to be based on eligibility, not academics. That said, it isn't perfect.

amh63

Amherst's new SID....an alum of Tufts..needs to take a refresher course in math.  Story on the Amherst website that sights the 12 national team titles won.  Problem is that the story forgot that the WBB team won three titles...two in a row as just recently noted.   Oh well, hope a correction is made soon :).

Pat Coleman

Quote from: amh63 on March 28, 2018, 09:18:41 PM
Amherst's new SID....an alum of Tufts..needs to take a refresher course in math.  Story on the Amherst website that sights the 12 national team titles won.  Problem is that the story forgot that the WBB team won three titles...two in a row as just recently noted.   Oh well, hope a correction is made soon :).

Cites. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

amh63

Pat C.....thanks... :)

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on March 18, 2018, 10:19:52 AM
Gordonmann...enjoyed your writeup!  Yes, Emma, a transfer from Fairfield, was put in a game her FY and lost a year of play....even after Amherst filed for reconsideration.  Emma was recovering from a "hip" problem early in the season when I dropped by late in the Fall for Homecoming.  One of Amherst's juniors was also recovering from an injury.  Amherst brought in only one player this year.  She got in with her sister in the last few minutes and scored 4 points.  Both talented players are local players from nearby Granby...their father is a HS principal.  The older sister won a NCAA award this weekend for her "smarts".  Yes, Amherst loses 4 players.  As I posted earlier, it is rumored that HC G.P. has 4 talented players coming in...more length?.  Note that Amherst tends to play with a " short"
Bench...but a bench full of talented players that can step in.
Hope they are on ronk's list :).
Oh yes, there are three players...two starters...that are multi-sport players.  One reason that talented student athletes pick D3 schools vice D1...even over the Ivies.

I've found 2 Amherst commits from a recruiting data base:
Gabrielle Zaffiro - North Shore(NY) and Lauren Pelosi - Taft(CT)

Haven't seen either 1 play but Gabrielle looks like a winner

7express

Pelosi is in the JCC Classic this weekend.  I'll see her today, Thursday & Sunday so I'll let you know what I think after my observations.