University Athletic Association

Started by Dr.Fager, March 03, 2005, 02:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Fager

Well, my daughter and Bowdoin will just have to get along without me this weekend as I plan to  stay in the city and root for NYU at Coles to win their ECAC. By the way, I don't think Bowdoin will have an easy time of it against Alvernia but the long drive to Maine seems overly long and I expect that I'll be on the road again heading to Scranton next weekend.

Allen M. Karon

Brandeis will be playing Norwich on Friday at 6 PM Eastern in the first semifinal of the ECAC New England Tournament.  The second semifinal has Mt. Holyoke taking on Fitchburg State.  Both games are at Brandeis.  The winners will play on Saturday for the ECAC New England title, and that game will also be at Brandeis.

Norwich has the requisite height, ball-handling and scoring ability, and rebounding ability to be able to compete with, and potentially upset Brandeis.  Norwich's first semester schedule, as well as their GNAC schedule, is the main reason why Norwich did not get regionally ranked in New England this season.  The only regionally ranked opponent that Norwich played this season before now is Emmanuel, and Norwich went 0-2 against the Saints.  However, in the first game at Andrews Hall, Emmanuel only beat Norwich by 5, and in the GNAC championship game, Emmanuel beat Norwich by 13.  Norwich also lost at WNEC in GNAC regular season play, and the Cadets lost to Coast Guard on a neutral floor in the first game of the season.

(Message edited by deiscanton on March 3, 2005)

Nancy Abromowitz

Allen,

Couldn't make it over last night but will get there Saturday, (6pm Friday will be tight)seems that the Judges played a bit better, still more turn overs then assists, still out rebounded? and still not shooting well though.

Allen M. Karon

Comparing Brandeis and Norwich via. the NCAA National Rankings-- Games played through Sat., Feb. 27--

Brandeis--

1.) #31 nationally in scoring defense-- 52.8 ppg
2.) #35 nationally in scoring margin-- Brandeis outscores its opponents by an average of 14.7 ppg  (Note:  That average was based more on non-conference games than on UAA games.)

3.)  #13 nationally in free throw pct.-- 74% FT

Norwich

1.)  #39 nationally in scoring offense-- 70.8 ppg
2.)  #2 nationally in scoring defense-- 45.6 ppg
3.)  #2 nationally in scoring margin-- the Cadets outscore their opponents by an average of 25.3 ppg.
4.)  #1 nationally in field goal pct. defense-- opponents avg. 30.2% shooting vs. Norwich

5.)  #3 nationally in rebound margin-- the Cadets outrebound their opponents by an average of 11.2 rebounds per game.

6.)  #35 nationally in 3 pt. field goal pct.-- the Cadets shoot 34.3% from 3 pt. range.

These stats seem to indicate that Norwich will be a very tough opponent for Brandeis to defeat.  However, Brandeis's experience vs. UAA opponents should be enough of an edge to allow the Judges to advance to Saturday's championship game.

If Brandeis wins on Friday, then the Judges should be able to win on Saturday and win the ECAC title.

I will be at Auerbach tomorrow.

Nancy Abromowitz

Allen,  

Looks like the Judges played well, why no report on the game? I will watch them today, how was Fitchberg?

Joel Gluskin

Reminder:

Wash U plays at Millikin tonight.  Game time is 8:30 eastern, 7:30 central.

Game will be broadcast on http://kwur.wustl.edu" target=_top>http://kwur.wustl.edu.

Howard Leibowitz

Looks like Brandeis never broke a sweat in this tournament.

Could you imagine in Div 1 if the 13th ranked team lost once and was out of the tournament?  Sad.

Well, as Red Sox fans once said, wait til next year!

Allen M. Karon

Nancy--

I was tired out from last weekend, and even though I tried to cheer my hardest in spirit, my body just would not allow me to go up very high-- I was coughing every time I tried to go high up on my cheering in the ECAC tournament.

I just rested last night rather than posted, as I had to rest up quick for a 2 PM Saturday game.

The caliber of opposition for this ECAC tournament was nothing like Brandeis's conference schedule-- Brandeis was able to roll past its opponents last night and today-- the opponents did have their moments, but in the end, Brandeis rolled.  Even Fitchburg State was nothing like last year's Allison Coleman-led Eastern Connecticut squad that Brandeis defeated in 2004 to capture last year's ECAC title.

In particular, in today's final, Catherine Brady hit 5 of 7 from 3 pt. range for the Judges-- Brandeis hit 12 of 21 from 3 pt. range in today's final-- but it seemed like the Judges made 20 3 pointers today.  Brandeis hit 25 of 31 from the free throw line, and outrebounded Fitchburg State, 50 to 26.

Amanda DeMartino picked up her 300th college career assist in the second half.

Brandeis pulled away from a 42-34 halftime lead to win the ECAC New England title by a score of 91-65 over Fitchburg State.

In other news, NYU has just won the ECAC Metro title-- the Violets have just defeated FDU-Florham by a score of 98-71 to win that championship.

Rochester did not succeed in its attempt to win the ECAC Upstate title-- they lost in the semifinals today to Union, 64-57.  Union had defeated Rochester in overtime earlier this season.

Tonight, Wash U will attempt to go to the Sweet 16 as they play at Millikin in the second round-- tip off is at 7:30 PM Central/8:30 PM Eastern-- The game will be webcast at http://kwur.wustl.edu-- The webcast is an official webcast of http://www.ncaasports.com" target=_top>http://www.ncaasports.com

Joel Gluskin

Joel Gluskin

Joel Gluskin

Wash U 50, Millikin 50 6:00 2nd

Joel Gluskin

Nancy Abromowitz

Allen,
I was at the game today and your review was right on, I thought someone else deserved the MVP though.

Joel Gluskin

FINAL

Millikin 67, Wash U 58

The Bears fell apart late and just couldn't stop Millikin at all.

Joel Gluskin

The game was tied at 53 with about 5 minutes to go and Millikin went on a 14-5 run to end the game.

For anyone who is wondering, Kelly Manning will be back for the Bears next year, giving them a nice 1-2 combination with Danielle Beehler.  Brandeis is still the favorite though, in my eyes.