NCAA Tournament

Started by David Collinge, February 23, 2009, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monsoon

Quote from: ChicagoHopeNut (recently relocated from DC) on March 03, 2009, 06:44:49 PM
On the idea of tough roads. The 2006 Hope championship team beat Denison, then number 10 Capital in the first weekend of the tournament. But in their next four games the Flying Dutch beat the teams ranked 1-4 in the d3hoops poll.

And all on the road, to boot!

David Collinge

Quote from: monsoon on March 04, 2009, 05:17:06 PM
Quote from: ChicagoHopeNut (recently relocated from DC) on March 03, 2009, 06:44:49 PM
On the idea of tough roads. The 2006 Hope championship team beat Denison, then number 10 Capital in the first weekend of the tournament. But in their next four games the Flying Dutch beat the teams ranked 1-4 in the d3hoops poll.

"On the road" = "not at Hope"
Four of those games were at neutral locations; only Capital and DePauw were road games.

monsoon

Quote from: David Collinge on March 04, 2009, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: monsoon on March 04, 2009, 05:17:06 PM

"On the road" = "not at Hope"
Four of those games were at neutral locations; only Capital and DePauw were road games.

Yes - that's what I meant...  Sorry for any confusion.

BlueZoneBruin

I know that the NCAA uses the "within 500 miles" rule in its pairings and site selection.  What I don't understand is how that is determined.  I have seen some conflicting information, so I figured I would bring it to the master's of the boards.

Is it 500 miles:
- From campus to campus?
- From basketball venue to basketball venue? (ie: those playing away from campus)
- As the crow flies? Or actual driving mileage?
- Is a distance of 501 miles, automatically a flight, or do they fudge it a bit?
- How do they determine the actual distance?

The NCAA Women's Basketball Handbook mentions the number, but doesn't describe it at all.  Any help would be much appreciated.

BlueZoneBruin

Just Bill

The NCAA uses this...

https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/TES/exec/miles

It is measured campus to campus, actual driving miles.

500+ miles means the school has the option of flying if they wanted to. I would imagine that if a school was just a little over 500, they might opt to take a bus anyway.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BlueZoneBruin

Thanks JustBill.  Very helpful!

BlueZoneBruin

hope1

the hope girls loooked really good tonight the inside game and the out side they are going to really tough to beat   if they win saturday  night it would be nice to host a another round home
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

Pat:

I am sorry I finally looked at your NCAA preview.  I can't believe you have Thomas Moore as the Cinderella team.  They are ranked 7th in the current poll, if they don't get to the Sweet 16 it would be a big surprise. I don't think they are much of a Cinderella team.  They would be the team most likely to disappoint if they didn't get out of the 2nd round.

Mr. Ypsi

I went a tolerably respectable 24-7 in round one, but have only one eliminated from round two (and none beyond that).  How did others do?

(I confess to following the men more closely, and did worse there - perhaps ignorance IS bliss! :o ;D)

ronk

I'm 24-7 with 1(DeSales) eliminated from 3rd round, also. Were u copying? :)

BlueZoneBruin

24-7 through the first round.  Only a long shot, Eastern Connecticut, out from my Sweet 16.  And I knew Messiah would win, but needed an upset somewhere.

BlueZoneBruin

mark_reichert

I predict that the WashU women will be playing St. Benedict at Stevens Point (and the men will be play Wheaton at Wheaton).

Is it too rude to point out that while only one WIAC team is still playing, five UAA teams are?

BlueZoneBruin

Anyone know when sectional hosting decisions are announced? 

It appears that the Messiah loss to Thomas More may have cost George Fox the chance to host this week.  From what I can tell, even though a sectional at Thomas More would allow both Hope and Oglethorpe to travel without a flight, their gym is perhaps too small to host (only 1,200).  Is this true? 

If Thomas More isn't in the running, is it safe to assume that Hope wouldn't get to host the sectional in addition to the first/second rounds and the final four?

If that's the case, it looks like the sectional may be at Oglethorpe.  This would mean only two flights would be necessary as opposed to the three needed to get teams to George Fox.  It's too bad that the NCAA doesn't award hosting honors on the most deserving schools, those with the highest seeds.  Wouldn't that be a more appropriate way to do it, instead of basing it on a penny-pinching philosophy?

Either way, the Bruins will be ready next week.  They looked really strong tonight!

BlueZoneBruin

pabegg

Quote from: mark_reichert on March 08, 2009, 03:16:55 AM
I predict that the WashU women will be playing St. Benedict at Stevens Point (and the men will be play Wheaton at Wheaton).

Is it too rude to point out that while only one WIAC team is still playing, five UAA teams are?

Yes, the geography pretty much dictates that the two unbeatens of the midwest (St. Thomas men and Illinois Wesleyan women) are on the road, with the two WashU teams joining them.

Titan Q

Quote from: pabegg on March 08, 2009, 07:40:21 AM
Quote from: mark_reichert on March 08, 2009, 03:16:55 AM

Yes, the geography pretty much dictates that the two unbeatens of the midwest (St. Thomas men and Illinois Wesleyan women) are on the road, with the two WashU teams joining them.
But while transportation cost is always huge in the D3 tournament, there are other considerations too...

Quote from: Titan Q on March 08, 2009, 09:02:26 AM
The Championships Committee has prioritized the following site-selection criteria for all championships:

1. Quality and availability of the facility and other necessary accommodations;

2. Geographical location (which may include such factors as rotation of sites, weather, accessibility, and transportation costs);

3. Seeding, and;

4. Attendance history and revenue potential, which shall be considered necessary to assure fiscal responsibility.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/basketball/2009/3_mbasketball_handbook.pdf

(page 7)