Author Topic: MBB: Northwest Conference  (Read 804942 times)

Offline Smitty Oom

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Northwest Conference
« Reply #7005 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:25 am »
It's official - Michael Gutierrez leaving Mac and transferring to Whitman:

https://twitter.com/Big_Guut/status/996223913427337217

http://athletics.whitman.edu/news/2018/5/14/mens-basketball-welcomes-four-in-2018-recruiting-class.aspx

From the MIAC boards...

Whitman got a good player in Gutierrez, he tore his ACL last year so he was unable to play but he will fit into the high tempo, lot of possession basketball the Blues play.  He goes from one of the most losing programs in D3 to one of the most winning programs of D3 as of late, will be fun for him to compete for a national championship.

Offline BluesBrother

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: May 15, 2018, 02:10:06 pm »
It's official - Michael Gutierrez leaving Mac and transferring to Whitman:

https://twitter.com/Big_Guut/status/996223913427337217

http://athletics.whitman.edu/news/2018/5/14/mens-basketball-welcomes-four-in-2018-recruiting-class.aspx

From the MIAC boards...

Whitman got a good player in Gutierrez, he tore his ACL last year so he was unable to play but he will fit into the high tempo, lot of possession basketball the Blues play.  He goes from one of the most losing programs in D3 to one of the most winning programs of D3 as of late, will be fun for him to compete for a national championship.

Vickers is a nice pickup for the Blues as well!

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: May 16, 2018, 06:41:38 am »

An embarrassment of riches, especially with Harrison and Wiggins coming back.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline A Buc Forever

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: June 15, 2018, 04:36:33 pm »
Tweet from Logie

@CoachLogie
In the last 12 years there have been 24 @NorthwestConf 🏆 awarded for reg. season and tournament champions. @WhitworthMBB has 21 of them...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:39:36 pm by A Buc Forever »

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:12 am »
I'll be very interested to see how the current Pacific players adjust to new Coach Lunt's high pressure defense, up-tempo offense he's bringing over from UPS. The Loggers seemed to have adjusted pretty well in their first and only year in his new system. Of course, I took a shot at Pacific by drafting them in our fantasy league!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #7010 on: June 27, 2018, 12:44:48 pm »
I'll be very interested to see how the current Pacific players adjust to new Coach Lunt's high pressure defense, up-tempo offense he's bringing over from UPS. The Loggers seemed to have adjusted pretty well in their first and only year in his new system. Of course, I took a shot at Pacific by drafting them in our fantasy league!

I'm not sure Coach Lunt is a one-trick pony. He very well may adjust his style to what he has. I don't remember him having just one way of doing things. I could be wrong.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: June 27, 2018, 02:20:56 pm »

I'm not sure Coach Lunt is a one-trick pony. He very well may adjust his style to what he has. I don't remember him having just one way of doing things. I could be wrong.

http://www.goboxers.com/news/2018/4/25/mens-basketball-boxer-buzz-featuring-justin-lunt.aspx

This interview made it sound like he's planning on implementing the up-tempo style. He only implemented it just last season at UPS and he even noted they figured it out quickly.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #7012 on: June 27, 2018, 04:37:35 pm »
I get that... but even you said he only implemented it last year. I know many coaches that rather see what they have for talent (granted, he knows them from the league) before making that decision.

Quotes like those I take kind of below face value. I realize how much can change. LOL

That said... learned a fascinating story from an east coast school on an added item to their interview process ... give us a coaching symposium for lack of a better term. One coach talked about how he would beat a high and mightly power in a particular sport. Broke it all down from scouting and the like... was the deciding factor. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.