IIAC 2016

Started by Medicated Pete, August 29, 2016, 11:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medicated Pete

As we head into the 2016 season just came across the Loras College Varsity Roster....
Must be final roster seeing they had two preseason matches.
Wow..8 Freshman on the roster and a third goalie
Whose gonna step it up this year? Are they going to play direct ball again or more of a control match this year? Who were the transfers that came in this year?
http://duhawks.com/roster.aspx?path=msoc

Saint of Old

The next team, after Amherst (who got the monkey off their backs) which is due for a championship.
Go ahead and throw Oneonta in there as well.

KICKIN95

Duhawks new faces are looking pretty good.  Freshman are playing like they have been here before. Transfers are gelling well. Loras pulled their starters early in the first after going up 2-0.  I know it's their first official match, but I am pleasantly surprised.
Master of all things "DuHawk"

Puerco Espin

Overall, liked what I saw tonight for a season-opener. I'm sure Rothert will tighten things up and work on, you guessed it, finishing with the gents. Tonight could've been 4-0 or 5-0. Thought the intensity dropped off in the second half.

Any day is a good day when you walk off with a win.
NCAA Final Four: 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2015
NCAA Sweet 16: 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014
NCAA Tournament: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
IIAC Champions: 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

KICKIN95

Carroll's keeper was on his "A" game last night.  without him it would have easily been 5-0, that guy made some really nice saves and field decisions. 

KICKIN95

Wow,  I just saw the Wartburg v GAC score, that would have been an exciting match to watch!  When is the last time GAC gave up 5 goals?  It has to have been many years.

gustiefan04

Quote from: KICKIN95 on September 02, 2016, 04:25:18 PM
Wow,  I just saw the Wartburg v GAC score, that would have been an exciting match to watch!  When is the last time GAC gave up 5 goals?  It has to have been many years.

Game was an absolute track meet. Wartburg looked fast. Finished well. GAC goal keepers were well out of position on 2 of the goals.

GAC has a very young back line and they looked it. Caught ball watching a few times, leaving back post wide open for easy finish. GAC looked strong when they had the ball on their foot.

Wartburg deserved the win in what was a pretty even match.

Dubuquer

Watched the Loras-Albion game this afternoon.  Loras took it 4-1 and Albion didn't put up much of a fight.  I watched the Carroll game online and my stream wasn't the best so I didn't get a good sense for what the Duhawks were like.  In person I was pretty impressed.  They are really young but the youngsters are impressive.  I'm most impressed with Histed in the middle.  There were flashes of Cavers-esque qualities to him but he seems more aggressive and athletic.  I'm looking forward to seeing him develop in the next 4 years.  O'Connell didn't get a lot of playing time up front but he impressed with a couple absolute crackers from the right side, one of which might have went in (Loras team was celebrating with the bench while play continued... awkward scene) and another that was blasted off the crossbar moments later.  I hope Bradley is okay as he didn't play after his second quick goal of the game when he got up very slowly, but if he can continue to put in a goal (or two) every game and carries this team on his broad shoulders I think they'll do alright.  I fully expect that there will be some moments against stronger sides where the Duhawk inexperience might show, especially in back with a first-year sweeper, but if the freshman and sophomores develop and the team gels this team could go deep again.  And watch out the next few years!

KICKIN95

I saw Bradley afterwards,  I  don't think he was injured it was more of a don't need to risk anything. He could have racked up a couple more himself by the looks of the Albion sides back line. Histed is very good and for a first yeat he is phenomenal,  but comparing him to Cavers is a bit of a stretch.  Great compliment, but a long way to go to prove he's worthy to be in that company.  I went back and watched O'Connell's goal, it was clearly in upon review. I  spoke to the AR that decided to "no call" and he said that Loras was warned about the wheels the goals are attached to and that the ball may not be completely across the line and still could hit one of them.  Weak sauce in my opinion,  the net moved considerably and it the ball hits the net it has to be completely across the line.

Dubuquer

I'm not saying that Histed is the 2nd coming of Cavers but in the 8 years I've been in town I don't remember seeing a freshman play at Loras who combines the skills, athletic ability and aggression of Histed, and especially not in the middle and ESPECIALLY not this early in the season.  There's significant potential for him to develop into a dominant player in midfield.  His HS classmate, Rife, looks like he might be a good complement in the middle once he gets adjusted to the pace of the college game.  I wonder if there's any other ranked team playing as many freshmen...

KICKIN95

I hope Histed does turn out to be like Cavers, with his height he could add the one dimension Kevin couldn't dominate (the Air game).  I am a fan of all the youngsters, I think this season will be exciting.  I can't guarantee, but I am pretty confident there isn't a program with this many freshman playing, let alone a program with the pedigree and level of play that Loras has.

gustiefan04

Quote from: KICKIN95 on September 06, 2016, 11:35:55 AM
I hope Histed does turn out to be like Cavers, with his height he could add the one dimension Kevin couldn't dominate (the Air game).  I am a fan of all the youngsters, I think this season will be exciting.  I can't guarantee, but I am pretty confident there isn't a program with this many freshman playing, let alone a program with the pedigree and level of play that Loras has.

Histed is listed at only 5'7 on the loras website...pretty little, unless that's a typo. sounds like the DuHawks have reloaded nicely, though.

Puerco Espin

IIAC
Loras 2-0-0 ... Wins over Carroll and Albion don't look that good on paper, but with teams backing out of playing Loras, they'll have to take care of business on the home front. With the number of freshmen on the roster, good to get two wins under their belt.
ud 2-0-0 ... Pair of shutouts over Monmouth and St. Olaf. At first glance, the STO win looks good, but their ranking is solely indicative of where they finished last year. First real test will be MSOE on 9/17
Luther 2-0-0 ... Wins over Hamline and Carleton and have Saint John's and UWW coming up, followed by WashU and Macalester. If they do well there and finish in top two of conference, they could be in position for a bid.
Simpson 2-0-0 ... Wins over Bethel and Westminster. First real test could be Saint John's but then also have UWW later in the year. Could see them at No. 3 or No. 4
Wartburg 2-1-0 ... Crazy result versus GAC. Started the year giving up 3+ goals in back to back games. Loss to Macalester was interesting especially the red card in the first half. Tonight's 4-0 against Augsburg is about what an upper half IIAC team should do.
Nebraska Wesleyan 1-0-1 ... Newcomers to the IIAC but have a number of NAIA schools on their schedule. Hard to compare their wins this year. Conference play should be interesting for the Prairie Wolves.
Central 1-1-0 ... Meh.
Buena Vista 0-2-0 ... Meh.
Coe 0-2-0 ... Meh.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Central, BV and Coe on the outside looking in come conference tournament.

Once we see a larger sample size, we'll have a better idea, but as of right now, I could see the conference coming down to Loras or Luther.
NCAA Final Four: 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2015
NCAA Sweet 16: 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014
NCAA Tournament: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
IIAC Champions: 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Cheesehead Henry

Wartburg up 1-0 on St. Johns at half. Forwards look to be scrappy and most of all, fast. Wartburg dominating posession and the Johnnies don't look like they want to be there. And that's with two of Wartburg's captains (and midfielders) out with injuries. Looking forward to the second half to see what the Johnnies will bring to the table.

Cheesehead Henry

Johnnies come out with fire and score off a set piece and some lack of marking by Wartburg. 1-1.