Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bed

Congrats to Union.....as i said all along they underachieved.....they only lost 1 senior from last year.......yet they struggled all season.

i dont see them beating U of R.  I don't think they have enough weapons.  But I'll be rooting for them.

As for Hamilton, it's clear that there continues to be a problem there.

How does Mike Evans go from making 9 three-point shots in one game (setting a Hamilton record) in the season finale-------------and then hardly play in 2 games in the Libery League Tourney?

A lot of questions up at Hamilton, but not a lot of answers.

Going into next season they would have to be the favorite in the LL.  Only lose 1 senior.  But can they put the pieces together?

ucaafan

Congratulations to Union! Great game last night - Gwynedd-Mercy jumps out to a quick 6-0 lead and the Dutchmen outscore them by 20 the rest of the way. The entire team played great including good bench minutes for Rahill, Grimm, Ramey. Fantastic shooting by Cagianello, sound leadership by Murphy, sound all-around games by Bruce, Scordato and Mackey. A true TEAM win. Good luck in Rochester!

Unionbball

Union lost 2 seniors last year Imbrie Packard and Ryan Freundlich

interestedparty

bed

well union still underachieved during the regular season.  having returned the players they returned, they should have been 1 or 2 in the league----------but i guess it doesnt matter anymore.  they won the tourney and made it the ncaa's.........we'll see how they do this evening.  i'd think they would lose by 10-15 points.

Bigdaddy

I think Union will lose by 5....but I hope they win.

Not In The Bulb

I have no vested interest in either team, but I'll pick UR in this one because a)it's at the Palestra, and b)the UAA is a much better conference than any of the upstate NY conferences. Also, for selfish reasons, I want Sectionals here in Rochester. It'd be a travesty if they were elsewhere with the the way Fisher has played this year.

BJ

Hey Bulb go read the post in the SUNYAC thread by I think Old Hooper or something like that. He says Sectionals should go through Amherst and backs it up with some interesting stats.

Tell us how Fisher got outscored by 10 in the second half tonight.

Senator Frost

"With the way Fisher has played." Yes they have played well but Amherst has a better SOSI by a lot. Fisher has won four games in the NCAA (I believe) in the past 10+ years. I believe they have lost 8 (maybe 9) Has anyone in the conference won 2 games in the NCAA Tourney in one year? I don't think Fisher has.
 I am not going to say NESCAC is better than the WIAC but it sure has been a LOT better than the Empire 8 for the past 10+ years.
  SOSI=Amherst12.160  St. John 10.957
 So if the home games are going to be awarded on merit, tell me WHY(?) Amherst shouldn't get it? Your 'Selfish Reason" is the only one that makes any sense to me.

col

Senator, what does "the past 10+" have to do with merit this year
Where's Reggie?

bball fan

2 teams in the area, game should be in Rochester or area.

Senator Frost

10+=is verification of the SOSI. You are right in that by itself it would mean almost nothing. If this were between Amherst and Stevens Point, Stevens fans could make a somewhat persuasive argument that their conference is far better and that the SOSI is misleading.
However, in St John's case it may be shown that St. John and others from the Empire 8 (if there have been any) have consistenly lost to teams in the tourney that NESCAC wipes the floor with.
 I have said that this particular St. John's team looks like it might be special but the objective criteria that has been put in place would indicate that Amherst is a clear choice. (Emotions aside)
 I would take heart if I were in your shoes because it looks as if for the second year in a row, Amherst may have been 'jobbed' by the brackets. All teams from your area would have to travel, but they flew Wittenberg to Bowdoin last year (900+miles) when Bowdoin's numbers were better. If Amherst is not given the same 'deal'I will wonder.

col

I have no problem saying that Amherst is better than Fisher.  They can mop the floor if they like.  I  have never seen Amherst play, but I feel like the "objective criteria that has been put in place" does not stop at SOSI.  This bracket has two teams from Rochester.  They did not advance this far by luck. UR and Fisher are for real, whether Amherst is better or not.  I'm not even going to be in town for the games AND I consider UR and Fisher "the enemy", but I still can't understand why they shouldn't be hosting these games.

Do you really think the regionals should be held at home for Amherst or are you making the points why they could be?
Where's Reggie?

Senator Frost

If they had truly clung to the 'travel' concept fine. However they sent teams 900 miles so the 'top' team would host. I am not saying that the numbers are an end all. I am very realistic and hesitant about St. John because they did the same thing to Springfield AT Springfield that Amherst did to Springfield AT Amherst. Only an idiot would not be very impressed with that.
Perhaps I should have chosen better words than 'wipe the floor'. I maybe should have said that Hamilton is 3w 1L with Fisher in the NCAA over the years and I doubt Hamilton has ever beaten more than 1 (If that) NESCAC team in the Tourney. (Past history sort of unofficially confirms the #'S of today)
So speaking honestly-given how important the SOSI is proclaimed to be and given they sent at least 1 team 900+ mile, then yes, I honestly believe Amherst deserves to host.
I know comparative scores are tricky and often do not come out as they seem they should. However, they are still better than 50-50. Therefore I would say that St. John Fisher looks VERY VERY good.  
  Also who says Amherst is a sure thing to get by Rochester?? St. John looks better on paper than Rochester I might add, even without the SOSI. That last game with RIT looks spectacular.
(Not a word I use often)

oldasdirt

I'm glad somebody mentionned UofR in their post.  That team had an early loss without its point guard who was a preseason all-american pick in Street&Street Magazine(I think).  Amherst and SJF both have pretty big hills to climb.  That being said if the committee is giving the host to Amherst because of SOSI they should have been ballsy enough to give them the top seed too.