FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: umhb2001 on July 13, 2018, 10:23:50 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 13, 2018, 05:42:29 PM
Right -- but their intentions and Division II's intentions weren't guaranteed to be in alignment until this. :)

What are those intentions?

UTT intended to go to D-II. It isn't guaranteed that D-II intended to take UTT until this.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gordonmann

I spoke with a former coach at Texas-Tyler about the move. That coach's read was that the University really wants to be Division I, similar to the other UT branch campuses, and this is a stop along the way. That coach also wondered if Texas-Dallas and maybe East Texas Baptist would try to follow the same path.

umhb2001

UMHB has a new kicker coming. All he did was kick a 54 yd game winning Fg in a Bi-District game.
https://youtu.be/vwGVMMHFn2E
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

D O.C.

Thanks, I'll do my own research.

QuoteThe Big 33 Football Classic is an all-star American football game featuring the top high-school football players in Pennsylvania. Played since 1957, the game is often described as the "Super Bowl of High School Football." Contests currently pit players from Pennsylvania against players from Maryland, but opponents in the past have also included players from Ohio and Texas. Recent games have been held at Hersheypark Stadium in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

So, I remember the years 1964-67 when it was Pennsylvania vs Texas.That's what I asked about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_33_Football_Classic

MUC57

D O.C.

We have an Ohio vs Pennsylvania game every year. So there! 🏈😋
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Ralph Turner

Toby Taff

Who has 2 thumbs and is going back to the big country? This guy. I accepted a teaching position at Haskell High School so ill be spending a lot of time in Abilene and in Killeen on the weekends. should be fun!
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

umhb2001

Quote from: Toby Taff on July 27, 2018, 11:07:31 AM
Who has 2 thumbs and is going back to the big country? This guy. I accepted a teaching position at Haskell High School so ill be spending a lot of time in Abilene and in Killeen on the weekends. should be fun!

Wow, man, sorry you didn't find something in Killeen. I wish that would have worked out. I know you will be a blessing in Abilene.

Toby Taff

Quote from: umhb2001 on July 27, 2018, 12:16:04 PM
Quote from: Toby Taff on July 27, 2018, 11:07:31 AM

Wow, man, sorry you didn't find something in Killeen. I wish that would have worked out. I know you will be a blessing in Abilene.
never even a call for an interview. I'll apply in the area again next year with a years experience under my belt
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

umhb2001

txtiger1

D O.C.

Have a hard working fun time TT.

justafan12

Quote from: gordonmann on July 14, 2018, 11:18:18 AM
I spoke with a former coach at Texas-Tyler about the move. That coach's read was that the University really wants to be Division I, similar to the other UT branch campuses, and this is a stop along the way. That coach also wondered if Texas-Dallas and maybe East Texas Baptist would try to follow the same path.
I know the new president at UTT was pushing the move and the folks I talked with felt it was just for his personal resume purposes.  He had made the comment that he was only going to be there for 5 years so having this on his resume would look good.

I have also heard lately that the move to D2 was pushed by the UT Board of Regents (and thus pushed by the new president).  That would make some sense since UT Dallas is now exploring the move to D2. 

I doubt ETBU would make the move to D2.  I have heard they speared the internal coup to get all the State schools out of the ASC.  If UTD leaves that only leaves Sul Ross as the remaining state school.  ETBU now has the chance to be the big dog in a small yard which is what they want.

umhb2001

I can't imagine ETBU would move to D2, it doesn't seem like it would really fit their school philosophy, in my opinion, as an outsider looking in.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: umhb2001 on July 30, 2018, 08:06:39 PM
I can't imagine ETBU would move to D2, it doesn't seem like it would really fit their school philosophy, in my opinion, as an outsider looking in.

You don't see many 1,400 student schools with endowments in the $50M range underwriting scholarship athletics.   If they wanted to grow the campus it might be a part of that, but it seems very unlikely.