BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Brady

Hey all you NWC guys, it's good old Tom Brady from the football board with my new name for the Baseball season.
I am going to have to go against Linfield right now (although I became a Linfield football fan).  The reason is because they always seem to make it to the post-season ranked pretty high and they go and get beat pretty bad.  All these high expectations year in and year out with no results.  It kind of reminds me of the Colts of '05.  Oh well, still looking forward to talking about some hard-ball with you guys.

shane falco

Hey wild thing,

Yeah, the Cat's haven't done very well in the post season.  I have some thoughts and opinions that I believe is the reason for the for the lack of success in the postseason,  but I'm going to keep that to myself.

I'm sure the Cat's will be very talented this year, as they always seem to be.  Replacing Justus will be tough, that guy was nails.  The catcher was good too, and of course Patterson.  All that leadership up the middle will be tough to replace.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."

LCLetters

Linfield lost Justus who was their #1 pitcher, would start at 1st when he wasn't pitching, and was a pretty good DH as well. Brant Shilliam had a great pitching year as well, graduated him along with Downs. Rass had a shaky season then surgery, I'm crossing my fingers that he's recovering smoothly; Lawrence has a mean fast ball, but didn't get much time last year coming off surgery. Daily can pretty much play any position, so I hope to see him pitching some games. Little Patterson transferred, he had potential.

Linfield also graduated Moore at 3rd who had a fantastic season (I'm looking forward to seeing Shearer do well), Ott, Big Patterson (everyone knows about him), Stolsig will be hard to replace but Jon Fredrick can step up, and Armstrong was one of the quickest guys out there.

I will call it a "rebuilding year" but I have faith that the boys will do well. I'm looking forward to see some guys shine- Brian Baker, Rasmussen, Daily, Glover, D Law, maybe even Kevin Mills. They're going to make it difficult for Fox to breeze through the season. Can't wait for the season to start!

Tuxguy

LC,how about the Kerns kid from Dayton? And there was a kid from Regis, a JR. this year who is a pitcher I believe. any thoughts? anyone? I just want to know who to watch.

BRING BACK THE BAND!
                     JUST NOT AT THE BASEBALL GAMES! ;D
Only at a D3 football game could you have 2 seats on the 50 yard line (2 rows behind bluenote) and have an obstructed view!
I love D3 Football!!!

LCLetters

Unfortunately I didn't see Caleb really play, I made it to every Linfield varsity game in the state of Oregon, but only one JV match up.  I'm not sure who you're thinking of from Regis.  Anybody know if the team is picking up any transfers?  Again, watch for Baker, he's going to be even better this year (and hopefully won't take any pitches in the helmet again, that was terrifying), I really hope D Law can show his potential along with Rass, but I don't know who the third starting pitcher will be, maybe Daily because he can pretty much do anything.

Tezbaseball

Interesting site. You can see by where a MLB player went to school.

http://baseballreference.com/schools/
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

cawcdad

Cool site Tez. I don't know how much time I just spent there. I know it was a alot though. ;D

Tezbaseball

Another good website.

http://www.baseballnorthwest.com/

Notice that McMinnville has a couple of kids on the top NW player lists with Glover and Sitton
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

Tezbaseball

swede

I've seen McMinnville H.S.'s Grant Glover in action a number of times. Grant would be a great pickup for the wildcats next year but my sources say he won't be attending LC. :'(

Tezbaseball

Linfield is hurting. Due to injurys and transfers it should be an interesting year for the Cats. The #6 starter during fall drills is know #2 behind Dailey. Pitchers are falling left and right. I will find out more later

LCLetters

Tez-
What happened to Rass and Lawrence?  I know Rass had surgury over summer, but I thought he put in some time on the mound during Fall ball, and D Law should be pretty healed; where do they fall in the lineup?

Tezbaseball

Quote from: LCLetters on January 30, 2006, 02:15:26 PM
Tez-
What happened to Rass and Lawrence?  I know Rass had surgury over summer, but I thought he put in some time on the mound during Fall ball, and D Law should be pretty healed; where do they fall in the lineup?

I'm not sure. I'm trying to find info out. I will post as soon as I know more....

andrewf

Hey guys, I have a few contacts with the GFU team, if you have any questions I can probably help out a bit with what to expect.  I can do a little write-up I suppose but any questions you have would probably be easier as I've never been much of a writer.

Let me know any questions and I'll see what I can answer for ya.

Tezbaseball

George Fox Picked to Take Over the Top of NWC Baseball Standings
Spokane, Wash. — George Fox University, which has won or shared the last four Northwest Conference baseball titles, is a strong favorite to repeat as league champions in 2005, according to a preseason poll of conference coaches.

The Bruins picked up six out of nine first place votes to total 83 out of 90 possible poll points. George Fox returns three First Team All-Northwest Conference selections from 2005, including Co-NWC pitcher of the year Derrick Jones, second baseman CR Braniff and outfielder Drew Johnson. George Fox tied Linfield College for the Northwest Conference title in 2005, but did not receive the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Division III tournament based on head to head results against the Wildcats. Fox was not awarded an at-large spot in the tournament, despite winning the NCAA Division III Championship in 2004.

Linfield picked up two first place votes to finish with 74 points in the poll. The two-time NWC co-champions with George Fox, the Wildcats must replace NWC player of the year Tommy Paterson, as well as Co-NWC pitcher of the year Alex Justus. But the Wildcats do return all-conference DH John Dailey.

Pacific Lutheran University was third in the poll with one first place vote and 63 points. The Lutes, who finished only one game out of first place last year, will rely on All-NWC catcher David Fox.

Whitworth College (49 points), Pacific University (46), and Willamette University (43) finished fourth through sixth in the poll, respectively, separated by only six points. Whitworth has Second Team All-NWC pitcher Cody Person back again, while Pacific returns All-NWC first baseman Matt McCord.

The University of Puget Sound was sixth in the poll with 34 points, followed by Whitman College (14) and Lewis & Clark College (13).

here's the link.http://www.nwcsports.com/sports/Baseball/06BBpoll.htm