BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

BTW, the OAC cracks me up.  I just looked at the release for All-OAC.  You only highlight the stats of two players, your special award winners, and you screw one of them up.  "During the regular season, Mary recorded an 8-3 record in 12 appearances."  10-0...8-3...close enough!

Dr. Acula

Congrats to Phil Mary on being named Mideast Region Pitcher of the Year.  Well deserved.  Our guys earning honors:

1st Team:
SP Phil Mary (Mount)
RP TJ Storer (ONU)
OF Billy Goodall (Mount)

2nd Team:
C Monroe Donnelly (JCU)
DH Cole Nieto (BW)
SP Craig Prince (Ott)
RP Caleb Norton (Ott)

3rd Team:
DH Bryan Stopar (Ott)

Dr. Acula

D3.com All-America teams are out:

1st Team:  SP Phil Mary (Mount)
2nd Team:  RP TJ Storer (ONU)
HM:  OF Billy Goodall (Mount)

This is the first time ever Mount has had AA teammates in the same season.

Dr. Acula

Hopefully the final poll treats us better than the preseason poll.  The OAC was shut out of the top 25 with Mount being the highest ranked at 27.  Ott, Etta and BW are also in ORV.

W&J (3) and Wooster (14) are the only ME region teams in the poll.

Pops33

Mount and Wooster square off in their first game of the season on February 25th at Wooster.  It should be an excellent match up.  All American Phil Mary will most likely face off against Nanak Saran, who was 8-0 last year.  Also All American Billy Goodall for Mount and All American Mike Wielansky for Wooster will be on the field.  Lots of talent in this game in addition to those already mentioned.  Hopefully weather allows the game to be played.  I am looking forward to it already.

Dr. Acula

February in Wayne County...I'd definitely opt for following online over visiting Art Murray that day!  Should be a fun way to kick off the season if they can get it in though.

Dr. Acula

Checking out the Mount roster.  65 players including 27 freshmen.  Great news to see All-OAC SS Jimmy Scott is back for a 5th year.  That's a big boost to the lineup.  Goodall/Keleman/Scott is a nice heart of the order to build around.  It also looks like Beau Taylor is a 5th year guy too which will help the bullpen.

Seniors:  12
Juniors:  14
Sophomores:  12
Freshmen:  27

Opener still (allegedly) this coming weekend in Wootown.  I'll believe it when I see it even with the turf infield.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 20, 2018, 09:24:19 AM
February in Wayne County...I'd definitely opt for following online over visiting Art Murray that day!  Should be a fun way to kick off the season if they can get it in though.

They're playing ball in Wooster.  Saran vs. Mary to start and both have been touched up early on.  Mary gave up 3 in the 1st, but cruised through the 2nd.  Saran mowed down Mount to open the game, but allowed a couple doubles and a pair of runs in the 2nd.  I can't imagine either is going to throw many innings today based on pitch counts so far.  Woo leads 3-2 after 2.   

Not a great debut for the Raiders.  Woo wins 17-9 and Mount did not play overly well.  4 errors, 9 BB from the staff, 11 K from the lineup. 

Dr. Acula

Mount opened their FL trip yesterday with a sweep of Hanover 5-1 and 3-1 to bounce back from the Wooster game.  Mary and Skladan both went the distance fanning 12 and 13, respectively.  Mary surrendered just 2 hits so he seems to be back on track after an unfriendly outing at Art Murray.  Not unexpected early on, but there's been a fair amount of juggling of the lineup.

BW is out of the gate 4-0 with sweeps of Anderson and Oberlin.  The Jackets have surrendered a grand total of 4 runs.  Lovick and Cody started both DH.

Dr. Acula

The OAC is off to a nice start down south.  My Raiders moved to 7-1 today sweeping TMC.  Solid sweep if the Saints end up as expected.

BW is sporting an identical 7-1 record so far.  Berg and ONU are both 4-1.  Etta is 3-0.  JCU is 5-2.  Cap went 6-3 in FL then split with OWU (including a head scratching 19-0 win over OWU's ace) to currently sit at 7-4. 

Dr. Acula

Mount dropped an ugly one today to Rhode Island College(?) 10-9.  Pitching was not pretty...RIC had 8 guys with multiple hits and none of the 4 guys Mount threw were effective.  Despite that it took a 2 run 9th for them to lose this one and snap their 7 game winning streak. 

RIC had scored 80 runs in 8 games coming into today so they clearly can hit a little so I'm not going to panic too much, but I will say that I hope Satovich's knee heals quickly enough for him to start pitching in OAC play.  He's been easing back into 1B this week so that's a good sign.  They can beat anyone in the 1-2 OAC DH with Mary and Skladan going, but they really need Satovich in the rotation for those 3-4 OAC DH. 

Dr. Acula

We're roughly 1/3 of the way through the season and the OAC doesn't have a team with a losing record.  Wilm swept Bluffton on the road yesterday to get to 7-6.  BW is pacing the group at 12-2 and Lovick and Cody look like they're going to be problems for the rest of us.  They're both throwing the ball very well.  Cody's strikeout numbers are astronomical (he fanned 12 in 7 IP again yesterday).  Like most years this is going to be a battle just to make the OAC tourney. 

hockeyfan77

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 08, 2018, 07:14:15 PM
Mount dropped an ugly one today to Rhode Island College(?) 10-9.  Pitching was not pretty...RIC had 8 guys with multiple hits and none of the 4 guys Mount threw were effective.  Despite that it took a 2 run 9th for them to lose this one and snap their 7 game winning streak. 

RIC had scored 80 runs in 8 games coming into today so they clearly can hit a little so I'm not going to panic too much, but I will say that I hope Satovich's knee heals quickly enough for him to start pitching in OAC play.  He's been easing back into 1B this week so that's a good sign.  They can beat anyone in the 1-2 OAC DH with Mary and Skladan going, but they really need Satovich in the rotation for those 3-4 OAC DH.

RIC has always been able to hit, they are one of the better hitting team in one the better conferences: the little east

Dr. Acula

Tough day for Mount yesterday.  Just no hitting at all.  Dropped a pair at LaRoche 3-1 and 1-0.  Would have been nice to get a split there.  Skladan gave them a shot as he was dominant in the 2nd game (6.2 shutout IP, 9 K), but they gave up a painful walk off in the bottom of the 9th.  Retire the first two batters then give up a triple and a single to lose it.  I'm not sure it would have mattered much as they just were not stringing anything together offensively.

Dr. Acula

OAC opening weekend is in the books.  The biggest surprise out of the gate IMO was Cap going on the road (to BW) and sweeping JCU.  And that second game was 11-1 before JCU scored 4 in the bottom of the 9th to make it look slightly more respectable.  That is not a good sign for the Streaks.  Not that Cap is a doormat by any means, but when you start doing the OAC tourney math (and in the OAC that starts day 1) you can't really factor in anything worse than a split against Cap and still get yourself to the top 4 without some improbable stuff happening.  Bottom line is JCU just spent the afternoon digging themselves a big hole.

Close on the heels of that in terms of raised eyebrows was my Raiders sweeping Ott today.  You go into your DH with Ott, Etta, BW angling to at least get a split.  Splitting is not the end of the world because you're at least holding serve.  I figured any outcome was possible today, but a split was most likely.  The only reason I wasn't too surprised was because of what I said earlier...Mount can beat anyone with their 1 and 2.  Case in point: today.  Mary and Skladan both go all 9 and allow a grand total of 1 run all day.  Skladan's CG shutout follows his 6.2 shutout IP against LaRoche so he is absolutely dealing right now.  And since his poor opening start at Wooster Mary is 3-1 with a 2.17 ERA with today being his best start of the year so he has settled in nicely.  Still worried about the bats and the midweek OAC DH, but this is a heck of a start.

Etta and BW split.  See above regarding the palatable splits.  I think these two are the favorites early so I'd guess Brewer and Harrison are both okay with it.

I'm never quite sure what to make of ONU so I don't know how much to read into Berg's sweep there.  Berg is sitting at 12-3 so maybe they're better than recently? 

Musky swept Wilm which I suppose isn't really noteworthy.  Although the Quakers have shown a little bite this year so I thought maybe they steal one here.