MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Down by 22 with two minutes left Webster scored the final 7 points for a more respectable 15 point loss to a taller, more veteran pre-season #6 Tufts team. Seven Gorlok freshmen played 100 of the minutes and basically did fine. Five or so minutes into the first half there were five freshmen on the floor together. Will be fun to see how this plays out during the season.

hopefan

Limited time due to 45th anniversary and trip up to St. Louis for Thanksgiving/Christmas... lots of prep today, drive starts tomorrow!!

Just snowed by Blackburn's win over North Park... Steve Kollar getting early season nod for coach of the year no matter how down North Park might be...the limited experience returning on his roster just didn't point to a win last night or any night...but he drew it out of his kids with what I imagine was a disciplined offense and tough nosed defense.  and they came back from a double digit deficit in the last 10 minutes of the game to win it.

Prin looked very good against Illinois College, but late foul trouble and generally lax defense gave up far to many layups and open looks from the perimeter...  need more assists out of Micah Paulson to create open looks or layups for teammates.. he had none... Treyvon Goodman super game 26 points, but unfortunately a killer turnover in last seconds of OT..

Greenville, Webster both show well, stay in game vs good teams...
Spalding, Iowa Wesleyan don't...

Elijah Johnson plays first game for Iowa Wez, not in box score last night?   Brock Butler big night

With the performances of last night, I don't think any of our teams are going into the 2nd night of Tourney play as certified losers... they all could be in their games... in addition to the 6 tourney games, Mac should get into the win column vs Robert Morris Springfield  Central Christian, and Eureka travels to Coach Chip Wilde's old stompin' grounds to play D1 Central Michigan ( a real game, not exhibition)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Greek Tragedy

Looking to see what kind of numbers Principia can put up against Ozarks' "defense." Also CWR put up 107 last night, playing "normal" basketball. They gave up 115 in 2OTs.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

WAHOO.. Spalding AND Greenville start the day out with wins!!!!!!   Makes my big supper tonight all the more HAPPY!!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on November 18, 2017, 03:59:34 PM
WAHOO.. Spalding AND Greenville start the day out with wins!!!!!!   Makes my big supper tonight all the more HAPPY!!

Add Webster to that group. What a great second half to watch as Webster erases a 16 point deficit to win in OT 93-91. Two pretty young teams as Wabash has no seniors, 14 freshmen and sophomores to go with five juniors. Webster had two sophomores and three freshmen on the floor the entire OT until Tankins fouled out and was replaced by senior Michael Dunn. I think the Gorloks are going to be fun to watch this season, win or lose. Here's the link to the excellent write up on the Webster website: http://websterathletics.com/news/2017/11/18/mens-basketball-wabash.aspx.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: WUH on November 17, 2017, 05:57:47 PM
Incidentally, former Webster freshman Evan Milligan scored 17 points in 23 minutes against a Division I Western Kentucky team that should be good this year.  Averaging 25 points per game at Kentucky Wesleyan.

He did indeed score 17 in that game, which was an exhibition for Ky Wes. Here is a link to overall Kentucky Wesleyan stats so far this season, which do not include exhibitions: http://www.kwcpanthers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2017. Milligan's five game totals are 93 minutes played (18.6/gm), 31 points (6.2/gm), 17 rebounds (3.2/gm).

WUPHF

Congratulations to Webster on the big come back win tonight.

Wabash is a very good team in my novice opinion.

I mentioned to a friend that the second game of the night was one of the best games we would see this season.  The response was an emphatic you should have seen the Webster game.

WUPHF

Off topic, but Fontbonne is adding the John F Kennedy campus in part to expand their varsity athletics. Plans to add women's wrestling, women's lacrosse and more. The gym is too small to move basketball, but I would not be surprised if it gets used time to time for practice.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: WUH on November 21, 2017, 03:00:28 PM
Off topic, but Fontbonne is adding the John F Kennedy campus in part to expand their varsity athletics. Plans to add women's wrestling, women's lacrosse and more. The gym is too small to move basketball, but I would not be surprised if it gets used time to time for p4ractice.

I saw an article about that yesterday. Seems like a smart move for Fontbonne that will benefit both the school and the conference in the long run.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 18, 2017, 01:02:46 PM
Looking to see what kind of numbers Principia can put up against Ozarks' "defense." Also CWR put up 107 last night, playing "normal" basketball. They gave up 115 in 2OTs.

Been busy doing other fantasy league related items, but as you probably already know, Principia lost in OT. Goodman and Paulson combined for 24-32 shooting and 65 points...a fantasy gold mine, aside for the 13 turnovers. Hopefan will be happy to know that I picked up Goodman in the keeper league.

Nearly everyone is in action tonight, so I hope to get a preview from hopefan!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 21, 2017, 04:35:38 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 18, 2017, 01:02:46 PM

Been busy doing other fantasy league related items, but as you probably already know, Principia lost in OT. Goodman and Paulson combined for 24-32 shooting and 65 points...a fantasy gold mine, aside for the 13 turnovers. Hopefan will be happy to know that I picked up Goodman in the keeper league.

Nearly everyone is in action tonight, so I hope to get a preview from hopefan!

If Wash U PLAYS, tonite's game at Prin shouldn't be close.. and I'd imagine Paulson/Goodman numbers will come back to earth...Look for competitve efforts from Blackburn, Greenville, Webster... Westmin has also lost Guard Jimmy Villabalos due to bad back, maybe all season... that is close to 45 points per game from 3 guys that should have been playing, that are gone for the year.  What a disaster...... Eureka Shea Feehan should have a big night vs Robert Morris Peoria... Spalding Hanover will be ugly..Iowa Wez can't stay with Dubuque.... Doubtful Westmin with Coe...So let's hope for wins from Eureka, Greenville vs Knox, Webster vs Millikin... and be thrilled if Blackburn could beat Elmhurst.... 4 and 4 wonderful, settle for 3 and 5...

WUPHF

That is terrible news for Jimmy Villalobos and Westminster.

He needs to go find a one year Masters and try it again next year.

Hoosiersfan2323

Blackburn takes down Elmhurst rather convincingly (66-57) for Steve Kollar's second win against a CCIW opponent in the last 5 days. 10 points and 10 rebounds for jr. Jamaya Wyatt

hopefan

It's great to be back in the heart of SLIAC territory and watching games in person rather than on the small screen...let's do a rundown of wht happened last night...

The SLIAC got to the 4 wins I was looking for, though it took a surprise win by Westminster as Webster lost to Millikin...Westmin, Eureka, Greenville and Blackburn get the wins...

Webster stayed with Millikin for most of the game.. beaten badly inside by Millikin's superior size, but the real killer was a super night from the 3 point line by Millikin, 9 for 15...  every time Webster needed a stop in the 2nd half for a chance to pull even, Millikin would send up a dagger from the 3 point line...and they just killed Webster around the basket  and on the boards... 35-22 rebounding edge.    Webster did use a large number of freshmen and new faces, and unfortunately the perimeter shooting that stood out vs Wabash failed them vs Millikin, Webster goes 4-22 from 3's 18%... the good news is that none of the frosh looked uncomfortable on the floor, and with time, this could be a heck of a recruiting class... the standout appears to be Rodson Etienne.. he and the returning Enrique Tankins play a similar game, bull in a china closet, strong, hard to the basket.. if they get full service years out of these two, they'll both be first team all conference players before they graduate.. just don't get infatuated with the 15 foot fades when you can go to the hole... if another frosh who showed promise, Nigel Wilcox, puts on about 20 pounds of muscle as he matures, Webster's inside game will be set.  Guard play should develop over time, but is likely to be a short coming this year.

Prin led Wash U the whole first half, but foul trouble and the short Prin bench likely helped Wash U pull away in the 2nd half... WUH wrote over in the UAA room that Tre Goodman took a hard hit, and between that and foul trouble, he got only 15 minutes on the floor.. that had to be a killer to any upset thoughts.  Prin got killed on the boards, 43-24... that won't happen in conference games....let me tell you, 0-3 doesn't read too bad when Prin was in the running all 3 games...watch out in conference

Blackburn, what can I say... not sure how they are doing it, but a mighty hooray AGAIN, as they win their 2nd game against the CCIW, beating Elmhurst...
I'm going to suggest that BC defense had a lot to do with Elmhurst shooting 35% from the field (Elmhurst 5 starters shot a woeful 16%), and 18% from 3's...Blackburn's non starters score over half the team's points as Coach Kollar spreads out time evenly to 10 players... it's got to be a great Thanksgiving for the Beaver players, and I'm now wondering if this group might not be able to make some noise in the Conference.

Greenville crushes Knox.. 148-120, after leading by only 2 at half... it's hard to write about this, not having seen all the new faces that are playing, but they obviously are understanding the system... one interesting point seems to be that no one is playing the role of mad bomber... shots are pretty well distributed up and down the boxscore, 3 players hit 20 points.. the system generates 34 turnovers by Knox... Riley Simmons has a real nice game, 8 for 10, 4 steals, 23 points..

Westmin "upsets" Coe... I wrote about Westminster roster woes, but they still seem to have enough to be competitive... new face Kobe Wands has another big scoring game with 26.. it's clear that Westmin won this one from the foul line, 26 for 35 vs Coe's 14-21... Westmin got outrebounded, didn't shoot particularly well, but got to the foul line and limited their turnovers (10).

Spalding bludgeoned by Hanover, 83-47... you knew this was going to happen, but by a score like that?  Coach Grey has got to be going nuts...

Eureka takes care of Robert Morris Peoria, 111-74...Shea Feehan goes for 28...  incidently, WOTS says Eureka may be picking up a very good 2nd semester addition to their roster....

Iowa Wesleyan down to Dubuque  76-56.... Iowa Wez leads 30-26 at hald, drubbed in the 2nd half... Brock Butler held to 12 points... Mitch Drey returns to the lineup, no Elijah Johnson.. I live too far away, can't figure it out...

Fontbonne loses to Oakland City, 102-87... Oakland City shoots 66% from the field for the game!!??   Oakland City located in Indiana, plays a mishmah schedule of mostly lowlevel  regional campus or Christian schools....

hopefan

Let's start to build up the Webster Tourney being played Friday/Saturday... Centre vs Carthage, Webster vs Coe

opening game Centre vs Carthage excites me because of the D3 history of both... they both have historically been in the upper quarter of D3 hoops... this should be a very good D3 game, with Centre picked to win their conference (SAA), Carthage to finish 3rd in the CCIW...and top flight inter-regional games this early in the season are always interesting...

Webster vs Coe will be interesting to get a comparative notion between Webster and Westminster...  Westmin beat Coe by 2 last night... I look for a competitive, if not pretty, game...

Unless I'm overrating the teams in game 1 or underrating the teams in game 2, the second day of the tourney may not be quite as competitive as the first... I'll go to that one looking for upsets...