MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Guy

Quote from: amh63 on October 17, 2017, 12:51:38 PM
Amherst has hired a new "SID"...has a fancy new title.  Maybe the reason that there is the MBB schedule for this season finally on the proper website.  Young man is a Tufts English Major alum with excellent sports related resume.

For many of us, a new SID at Amherst is good news indeed.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Old Guy on October 20, 2017, 09:53:28 PM
Amherst has hired a new "SID"...has a fancy new title.  Maybe the reason that there is the MBB schedule for this season finally on the proper website.  Young man is a Tufts English Major alum with excellent sports related resume.

New title might be a sign up of upgraded resources, as well.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 21, 2017, 07:34:44 AM
Quote from: Old Guy on October 20, 2017, 09:53:28 PM

New title might be a sign up of upgraded resources, as well.

I was under the impression the last SID was pretty solid. There have been some misses, but the last one seemed to be one of the better ones. Was actually hoping the turnstile would stop spinning for at least a year. Guess not.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

So, from the Amherst Student article, we now know that one (or more) of the three centers on the roster will be playing center for Amherst, and one (or more) of the three point guards on the roster will play the point.  I don't mean to pick on Amherst here -- the Williams paper, and probably most others in NESCAC, typically has the same sort of utterly generic, and utterly useless, previews ... the nature of the beast when coaches aren't going to spill anything of real value before the season starts. 

JEFFFAN

Quote from: nescac1 on October 26, 2017, 09:49:37 AM
So, from the Amherst Student article, we now know that one (or more) of the three centers on the roster will be playing center for Amherst, and one (or more) of the three point guards on the roster will play the point.  I don't mean to pick on Amherst here -- the Williams paper, and probably most others in NESCAC, typically has the same sort of utterly generic, and utterly useless, previews ... the nature of the beast when coaches aren't going to spill anything of real value before the season starts.

Didn't expect that the Amherst Student would say much ... just trying to get the basketball conversation started.

nescac1

Appreciate that Jefffan -- it's been an unusually quiet offseason in NESCAC, or so it seems at least ...

toad22

In my off-season boredom, I looked at Kyle Scadlock's 2016-2017 season stats, breaking them down between the regular season - the first 24 games, and the postseason, both NESCAC and the NCAA. The difference is startling. Scadlock averaged 11.6 in the regular season, and 17.0 in the postseason (8 games). His overall shooting % went from 51.7 to 59.7. His 3 point shooting went from 24.4% to 50%. Free throw shooting from 66.3% to 89.6%. Rebounds from 6 per game to 7.4. His minutes per game and shots per game were about the same. He was a different player. He would be my pick to be the next really big star at Williams. I am really looking forward to the new season!

nescac1

Wow, that is wild.  The only other Eph I can remember making a in-season, late season jump like that was Ben Coffin in his Junior year in 2013, who was very good player during the regular season and then emerged as an unstoppable superstar during the NESCAC and NCAA tourney runs.  Coffin followed up his break-out post-season with an all-American senior season.  While Scadlock's three point and FTA numbers from last year's post-season are probably not sustainable (that would be nearly impossible), if he is merely closer to 50 / 90 this year than he is 24/66, I agree that he will be an absolute force this year, because his interior finishing and defense were already excellent even before his radically improved shooting.  Fingers crossed!   

I'd say Scadlock is in the mix with a closely-grouped tier of elite players this year in NESCAC: Jack Simonds, Peter Hoffmann, Vinny Pace, Johnny McCarthy, and Jack Daly.  Those dudes, now all juniors and seniors (and in Pace's case, presumably 100 percent healthy), are all primed for very big seasons. 

middhoops

Kyle Scadlock is the most effective, versatile player going into this season. 
The rest of the list consists of quality players, but none can match Scadlock's skill set.
Actually, the bad news for the rest of the NESCAC is that he is backed up by an ACC sized front court.  And those guys can play ball, too.

nescac1

From a UAA poster on NYU — Feldman is a loss for Tufts. Great shooter.

The youngest UAA team in the history of the league is not only a year older, but they also added four transfers including junior Ethan Feldman from Tufts, junior Jule Brown from Dickinson, sophomore Dom Cristiano from Lafayette (PA) and junior Mario Zimaridis from Lamar Community College.

http://gonyuathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball&;

amh63

Several comments as I proceed to follow Fall sports.
Note the Managing Editor of Sports that wrote the Amherst's Student article on MBB is a FY.  He was fed what Coach Hixon had written in his Newsletter...nothing more, IMO.  The comment on the new assistant Coach, did NOT mention that the alum was a former head coach....really old news.
At halftime at the Homecoming football game, there was a ceremony for the WBB team that won the 2017 National Title in a surprising blowout of Tufts.  Did see HBC Hixon with his longtime friend and retired chief Trainer walk by to attend the event, etc.
Former practice starts Nov.1.  Did not get to watch any Captains' practices as the MBB team was "kicked out" of the gym by a Volleyball Tourny.....according to one of the Captains.  Really wanted to get a look at the FY front court candidate.  I have a hutch he is much like Allen Williamson who came on strong in his senior year...on the 2013 Title team.  At 6'4/5", Williamson had played center in HS.  Remember there was a Williams' great center, also at 6'5" that could leap out of the gym, block shots, etc., etc.  In short, the front court players available to Amherst this season will do just fine, IMO.

FanOfNescac

Amh63, Allen Williamson was a terrific basketball player at Amherst. He was an inside and mid-range presence who could block shots and intimidate. This is all the more remarkable when you consider he was nowhere near his listed height of 6-4 or 6-5. I stood next to him at a NESCAC Tournament game, circa 2013, and he was 6-2 and change, at most. Just a tremendous athlete.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: FanOfNescac on October 27, 2017, 10:05:24 PM
Amh63, Allen Williamson was a terrific basketball player at Amherst. He was an inside and mid-range presence who could block shots and intimidate. This is all the more remarkable when you consider he was nowhere near his listed height of 6-4 or 6-5. I stood next to him at a NESCAC Tournament game, circa 2013, and he was 6-2 and change, at most. Just a tremendous athlete.

Sounds like a less extreme case of the "Incredible Shrinking Man", Earl Boykins of EMU and the NBA.  He was 5'8" as a freshman, 5'6" as a sophomore, then 5'5" the rest of his college and pro career.  As his EMU coach phrased it: "You think I'm gonna risk my career by admitting I recruited a midget until he proved himself?!"

I taught at EMU my whole career; Earl majored in my department.  I never taught him, but several who did said that 5'3" was more realistic. :o  I was at the game where he dunked over a 6'6" guy - EMU has a new Convocation Center because we blew the roof off Bowen Field House after his dunk! ;D

FanOfNescac

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 27, 2017, 10:19:21 PM
Quote from: FanOfNescac on October 27, 2017, 10:05:24 PM

Sounds like a less extreme case of the "Incredible Shrinking Man", Earl Boykins of EMU and the NBA.  He was 5'8" as a freshman, 5'6" as a sophomore, then 5'5" the rest of his college and pro career.  As his EMU coach phrased it: "You think I'm gonna risk my career by admitting I recruited a midget until he proved himself?!"

I taught at EMU my whole career; Earl majored in my department.  I never taught him, but several who did said that 5'3" was more realistic. :o  I was at the game where he dunked over a 6'6" guy - EMU has a new Convocation Center because we blew the roof off Bowen Field House after his dunk! ;D

Williamson was listed at 6-4 while at Amherst, so if he's 6-2 7/8, that's not a huge exaggeration by college roster standards (everybody is made taller). Not in Boykins territory. However tall Williamson is/was, he's was a very good NESCAC player.