Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

John Gleich

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 16, 2017, 07:41:20 AM
BTW here's the actual schedule.  ???  ;D

http://www.snc.edu/athletics/basketballm/schedule.html

Wow... renovations or not last year, that's 12/13 at home to start the season! I've never seen that before!

And then 8/12 on the road to finish it off. Weird unbalanced schedule.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

hopefan

I was just looking at some D3 campuses on Google Maps and noticed the setup at Lawrence... seems like all the Athletic facilities are separated from campus  by the Fox River... this looks like it would be a nasty walk from class or dorms to the basketball gym during winter?  Is it a tough sell for recruits?  Is it as tough as it appears on the map?  I've never been there...  just curious....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

AndOne

Quote from: John Gleich on July 21, 2017, 03:21:40 PM

Wow... renovations or not last year, that's 12/13 at home to start the season! I've never seen that before!

Not being a regular in depth follower of each of the MWC teams individually, I wasn't aware that the Norberts were displaced from their regular performance venue last season. While this will result in a plethora of home contests, especially those against non-con opponents, the vast majority of the Norberts games will still be against conference teams that likely will not have much of a composite SOS. Blackburn certainly won't provide much of a boost in that area, and Benedictine is not going to help that stat as much as they have over the last couple of years. Accordingly, it appears, given the MWC usual overall weakness, that the Norb's primary SOS numbers will come from their WIAC opposition. However, none of the WIAC teams that SNC will face for sure landed in last season's Final Top 25. The only exception is UWW who you would anticipate the Norbs will meet in the championship game of their post Christmas tournament. SNC will no doubt have an attractive looking record at the season's conclusion. But, should they not win the conference tourney AQ, they very well could find themselves watching the big dance yet again rather than being a participant.

AndOne

Quote from: hopefan on July 23, 2017, 07:33:11 AM
I was just looking at some D3 campuses on Google Maps and noticed the setup at Lawrence... seems like all the Athletic facilities are separated from campus  by the Fox River... this looks like it would be a nasty walk from class or dorms to the basketball gym during winter?  Is it a tough sell for recruits?  Is it as tough as it appears on the map?  I've never been there...  just curious....

While I have not attended a LU athletic contest, I have been to Appleton, and have toured the LU campus. I like both the city and the campus. Bordering on the Fox River makes for an attractive locale for the LU campus. However, as Hopefan points out, and as I remembered, almost all of the athletic facilities are indeed located on the opposite riverbank from the rest of the campus. And, also as Hopefan surmises, it certainly seems basketball players would face a cold walk across the river to practice each day during a typical frigid Wisconsin winter. However, the LU web site indicates The university provides transportation between the main campus and the gym on a regular schedule during practice and competition periods. ❄️ 💨 🚐 😊

hopefan

Quote from: AndOne on July 23, 2017, 03:44:08 PM

While I have not attended a LU athletic contest, I have been to Appleton, and have toured the LU campus. I like both the city and the campus. Bordering on the Fox River makes for an attractive locale for the LU campus. However, as Hopefan points out, and as I remembered, almost all of the athletic facilities are indeed located on the opposite riverbank from the rest of the campus. And, also as Hopefan surmises, it certainly seems basketball players would face a cold walk across the river to practice each day during a typical frigid Wisconsin winter. However, the LU web site indicates The university provides transportation between the main campus and the gym on a regular schedule during practice and competition periods. ❄️ 💨 🚐 😊

aaaah  a nice heated bus....  thanks...

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: AndOne on July 23, 2017, 03:44:08 PM

UW Oshkosh's track, football, baseball, soccer and softball facilities are all on the opposite side of the Fox River from the campus.  I don't know if they provide transportation or not but they seem to be doing just fine.   
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Pat Coleman

I'm not sure that attendance at football games really backs up that observation. Am I mistaken?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

I'm not sure anyone said anything about attendance (of fans). The question, I think, had to do with recruiting and knowing what's needed to be done to make practice, walking across campus or bussing/driving.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

judgetrainer

There is a shuttle bus that runs even twenty minutes or so. There is also a lot of car pooling among players to get to the Alex.

sncdangler

Quote from: AndOne on July 23, 2017, 03:08:35 PM
Quote from: John Gleich on July 21, 2017, 03:21:40 PM

Not being a regular in depth follower of each of the MWC teams individually, I wasn't aware that the Norberts were displaced from their regular performance venue last season. While this will result in a plethora of home contests, especially those against non-con opponents, the vast majority of the Norberts games will still be against conference teams that likely will not have much of a composite SOS. Blackburn certainly won't provide much of a boost in that area, and Benedictine is not going to help that stat as much as they have over the last couple of years. Accordingly, it appears, given the MWC usual overall weakness, that the Norb's primary SOS numbers will come from their WIAC opposition. However, none of the WIAC teams that SNC will face for sure landed in last season's Final Top 25. The only exception is UWW who you would anticipate the Norbs will meet in the championship game of their post Christmas tournament. SNC will no doubt have an attractive looking record at the season's conclusion. But, should they not win the conference tourney AQ, they very well could find themselves watching the big dance yet again rather than being a participant.

I don't think anyone at "Norberts" was saying they should have gotten into the tournament last year. In most years the MWC is a one-bid league. As for the WIAC teams they play, they've played Oshkosh for years and years (45 minutes away), Stevens Point traditionally is no slouch and Eau Claire has been more than competitive in the last couple years. Whitewater is Whitewater. I'm not sure who else you think they should schedule? The comment about Blackburn is interesting because being a CCIW fan you should know how difficult it is to get teams to a tournament like some of the years at North Central. You take what you can get some years.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 24, 2017, 04:43:33 AM
I'm not sure anyone said anything about attendance (of fans). The question, I think, had to do with recruiting and knowing what's needed to be done to make practice, walking across campus or bussing/driving.

I mean... for athletes... who are usually in shape... a walk across campus must be a brutal deal breaker.  ;) ;D
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

The guys who coach at and play for St. Norbert, not the school itself, are who I jokingly refer to as the "Norberts."
As far as the difficulty with obtaining more competitive opposition for home tournaments, yes, I certainly am familiar with the problems involved in attempting to do so. You specifically referred to North Central. Well, perhaps the solution is to follow NCC's example and do away with the tournament and just schedule two separate single games instead.  :)
Even if this might sometimes mean another road game as opposed to two certain home games.

Also, if SNC is one of the country's better teams, they should be able to win their (generally weak) conference tourney. This would result in their securing the AQ and eliminating the need to worry that a sickly SOS will again keep them from receiving an invite to the season ending big dance.

hopefan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 24, 2017, 04:16:30 PM
;)

I mean... for athletes... who are usually in shape... a walk across campus must be a brutal deal breaker.  ;) ;D

Uhh let's see, I've gone to classes, practice for 2-2.5  hours, showered, so my head is all wet, now let's walk across this bridge over a river in the dark at 7:00, at say 15 degrees, maybe icy, maybe slushy.... yes, I might ask about that bus...  and yes it could rest in my decision making process... ;)
Of course, I guess the Fox isn't exactly the Mississippi... ;D

AndOne

Quote from: hopefan on July 24, 2017, 04:34:27 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 24, 2017, 04:16:30 PM
;)

Uhh let's see, I've gone to classes, practice for 2-2.5  hours, showered, so my head is all wet, now let's walk across this bridge over a river in the dark at 7:00, at say 15 degrees, maybe icy, maybe slushy.... yes, I might ask about that bus...  and yes it could rest in my decision making process... ;)
Of course, I guess the Fox isn't exactly the Mississippi... ;D

Ah, but alas!
Such a journey might be of little consequence and entirely worth whatever effort is necessary..................................

It seems the esteemed Lawrence University has what is referred to as Gender- Neutral Housing. This is a Residential Life policy option which allows persons of difference genders to occupy the same room in certain designated dormitories. Accordingly, a comely lass or brawny lad may be waiting to provide comfort and warmth after such a perilous journey through inhospitable conditions. 👫 😮 😛 😁

Looks like it's time to jump in the Time Machine and point it in the direction of Appleton.  ;D
No such policy during my college days back in the Dark Ages. 🙁