FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

just looked it up, 160 miles between Atlanta and Montgomery; memory sux as one grows older !!!!!!

tigerFanAlso2

is the odac going to have a preseason coaches poll ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 10, 2017, 09:35:07 AM
is the odac going to have a preseason coaches poll ?

I'm betting they will, but probably not until a little closer to the season start. I believe starting last year they quit doing a media day. But last year the pre-season poll came out August 22.

hasanova

Took a walking tour of Wabash College as I passed by Crawfordsville, IN on I-74 yesterday.  Great DIII baseball, soccer and football facilities.  Saw the gym, but didn't go inside.  Of note, the Little Giants have a Malcolm X Institute.  Drove by Earlham on I-70, but just felt too pressed for time to stop.  Earlier on my trip, I toured DI Arizona, DIII Willamette, DI Gonzaga, DI Montana and DI Montana State.  By the way, skates, skateboards, pets and Grizzlies are not allowed in the MSU bookstore.

y_jack_lok

^^^ I was in the Wabash gym in 2010 when R-MC played in a Thanksgiving weekend tournament there. It's pretty average as D3 gyms go in my opinion.

sigma one

Those are all fair assessments of the Wabash athletic facilities.  Although updated more than a decade ago, the gymnasium still has the bones of the original 1920s/30s structure.  Soccer, an artificial surface, is also used for lacrosse.  Baseball is only a few years old, with stadium seating.  Football is a classic design and is due soon for an updating of grandstands and concessions.
     The indoor track and swimming facilities are very nice, too.  But probably the best of the venues is wrestling.  Several years ago a generous alum donated for a stand-alone wrestling building with its own locker rooms, laundry,  and foui-mat practice area.  There are also spaces for aerobics, and tubs.  Wrestling is connecting to the tennis center by a common entrance lobby, but the facility is self-contained.  Wabash has responded with several top-four NCAA finishes in the last couple of years.  The leader of these finishes has been Riley Levever, only the second DIII wrestler to win four consecutive national titles.

HSCTiger fan

Any word from camps?  Something to talk about - every HSC qb since 2009 in his second or third year as a starter has won the ODAC.

2009 - Sedler Third year as starter also won ODAC in 2007
2011 - Lane second year as starter
2013 and 2014 Nance second and third year starting.
2017 - Cobb we'll see.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Well... in mildly unsettling news, W&L's officially unreleased but easily found 2017/18 prelim roster lists only 19 first years. This is a significant drop from last year's 28 or so, and the previous couple of years where it was in the low 30s. The geographic dispersion also seems down. 10 of those 19 are listed from VA. No CT kids, which is odd, no AL kids, only one from GA, NJ, 3 from NC, 2 from TN, 2 from MD.

A couple of RB/SB listed, 1 QB, a handful of DBs, 3 OLs, 2 DLs, a kicker, a TE, a WR. A very small mixed bag. Not sure what the deal is, but this isn't filling me with confidence for the future. W&L is usually a small squad, but starting with less than 20 first years is concerning. Going to be a long year for special teams I think.

Not much turnover on the staff the last couple years, so I'm not sure what is causing this.

On the upside, of the high 20s from last year, there are still 21 listed on the roster. So that's a pretty good retention percentage year 1 to year 2, but it has to be at this point. 17 Juniors, and 13 seniors round out the roster. So a total roster of 70, not far off from the mid to high 70s W&L enjoyed a few years ago, but there is going to need to be a lot of retention of these smaller classes to keep that number up. A year of injuries and we are going to have 2014 all over again.

Also on the upside, all 13 seniors are names that have played a lot over the last couple years. There isn't more than 1 name that wasn't called consistently every game the last 2 seasons during key moments of games. And those names are spread pretty much all over the field on both sides of the ball to provide leadership.

HSCTiger fan

Over 60 freshmen reported to camp for HSC. The most ever for a Favret coached team.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

tigerFan

Do you know how many returning players from the 2016 team ?

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 14, 2017, 02:37:38 PM
tigerFan

Do you know how many returning players from the 2016 team ?

35 return in their 2 deep from last year. Plus all-ODAC DE who did not play last year and is back for 5th year. 10 starters on D and 7 on O return. The biggest questions are how much defense improves and replacing 3 starters on OL. About 70 overall players return. 
Hampden Sydney College

tigerFanAlso2

as always, OL will determine success of the offense and I sure hope OL play is better than last year. defensively, we all know what needs to happen. fingers crossed. I've heard nothing from camp so hopefully all is going well.

jknezek

Well I didn't see that coming. But I usually have a blind spot for E&H...

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on August 15, 2017, 02:47:11 PM
Well I didn't see that coming. But I usually have a blind spot for E&H...

E&H might be a tough one the next two years. Looking at their roster, they have a good amount of production returning and not many seniors.

Heard a couple days back the MC/E&H series is going on hiatus again after this year and MC is returning back to Centre next fall. I wish they could find a way to have E&H and Centre both on the schedule since they are the longest running series Maryville has. Oh well.
I'm hoping with Ferrum jumping ship to the ODAC next year, MC drops that series and picks up another ODAC team. Guilford maybe? Ferrum will take the place of either Jacksonville or Davidson next year, potentially leaving another D3 slot open for hasa's boys. Hasa, any idea on future schedules for Guilford?
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!