MBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by njachoopsfan, March 16, 2005, 01:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

irapthor

Here are the NJAC playoffs scenarios for first through third place heading into tonight's action:

POSSIBLE PLAYOFF SCENARIOS:
Heading into the final day, Ramapo (14-3 NJAC) remains in first place; NJCU (13-4) and TCNJ (13-4) are one game back and Montclair State (10-7) is locked into the fourth seed.

If Ramapo wins it will be the No. 1 seed.
If Ramapo and NJCU win and TCNJ loses, Ramapo will be No. 1, NJCU will be No. 2 and TCNJ will be No. 3.
If NJCU loses, it will be No. 3 regardless of the outcome of other games.
If Ramapo loses, NJCU wins and TCNJ wins, all three schools will be tied at 14-4. TCNJ would be the No. 1 seed based on a sweep of fourth-place Montclair State (NJCU and Ramapo split). Since NJCU and Ramapo cannot break the tie based on all existing tiebreaker criteria, NJCU and Ramapo would flip a coin to determine who is the No. 2 seed and received a bye and which is the No. 3 seed and must play an NJAC Quarterfinal game.
If NJCU wins, Ramapo loses and TCNJ loses, NJCU and Ramapo will both receive byes at 14-4 and will flip a coin for first place; TCNJ would be the No. 3 seed.
Ira Thor
Award-winning former 20-year SID and Assistant AD at New Jersey City University. Current Chief Communications Officer. NY/NJ and national professional and collegiate PA announcer, PBP announcer and commentator. D3hoops.com Top voter since 2002......Howell Township (NJ) Board of Education...Husband/father of 3. Hasbeen soccer goalkeeper.

daddyhoops

daddyhoops

Should be good NJAC games Wednesday night.
Big upset by Willy P over NJCU this past Saturday..
TCNJ vs WPU gonna be a battle.. But TCNJ @ home should get the W.
And Ramapo v Montclair goes to Ramapo in a close game.

Thoughts?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III men's and women's national tournaments are set, teams are where they need to be, and practices underway. Now, it's just a matter of tipping off the games.

But before we tip them off, we need some final thoughts.

Tune in Thursday night to Hoopsville where Dave will talk to a number of guests about their programs and their chances in the NCAA tournament. You can't starting heading down the Road to Rochester or the Road to Salem without getting an idea of who may be joining you, either. Dave will give some insight on how some of the pods just may shake out as well.

Also, earlier in the day, Dave talked with Women's Basketball Nationall Committee chair Bobbi Morgan (also head coach at Haverford) and asked her a lot about the selection process and bracketing for this year's tournament. You can hear that special podcast here: http://bit.ly/2GUbfE0

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's edition hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can tune in live here: http://bit.ly/2HSi9ed.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Marc Brown & Sam Toney, New Jersey City men's coach and star player
- Nate Davis, Gettysburg women's coach
- Jeff Rogers, Berry men's coach
- Alex Richey, Oglethorpe women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Dan Englestad, Southern Vermont men's coach
- Ken Scalmanini, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

NJBALLERZ

Down goes NJCU in the first round for the second straight year in a row. Foul trouble and silly fouls late really has hurt them in their past two NCAA games. Fouls are called a lot different in the NCAA tournament and around the rest of the country / regions. NJAC needs to re-evaluate how they call fouls and officiate games. Hurts the NJAC teams in the NCAA's. Hopefully Ramapo can go on a run here and upset Williams today.

mailsy

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on March 03, 2018, 10:03:55 AM
Down goes NJCU in the first round for the second straight year in a row. Foul trouble and silly fouls late really has hurt them in their past two NCAA games. Fouls are called a lot different in the NCAA tournament and around the rest of the country / regions. NJAC needs to re-evaluate how they call fouls and officiate games. Hurts the NJAC teams in the NCAA's. Hopefully Ramapo can go on a run here and upset Williams today.

From my understanding that's why the NCAA d3 committee hired a national head of referees to make sure games are called the same way throughout the country. Here's hoping the Atlantic region refs get their act together.  ;D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: mailsy on March 03, 2018, 11:12:34 AM
Quote from: NJBALLERZ on March 03, 2018, 10:03:55 AM

From my understanding that's why the NCAA d3 committee hired a national head of referees to make sure games are called the same way throughout the country. Here's hoping the Atlantic region refs get their act together.  ;D

That is part of the reason... many would argue the refs in the NJAC give them far too much and allow far too much.

While it might hurt the NJAC teams as some complain, the other aspect of this is that teams HAVE to adjust to officiating. If they can't do it, they aren't going to get very far. They are NOT going to have refs that call their games assigned to their games. Plain and simple.

Eventually, refs across the country are going to be more on the same page... I suggest the NJAC buckle up because it is going to be a rough transition.

BTW - there are multiple "Atlantic region" refs - multiple groups. I saw a few calling games this weekend (in person)... they don't allow the stuff people in the NJAC claim they are allowed. Maybe the NJAC is special - and not in a good way.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

With so much parity, especially in men's basketball, unexpected outcomes where to be ... expected. However, that doesn't prepare anyone for the number of upsets, who was upset, and how.

Sunday night on Hoopsville, Dave tries to breakdown the opening weekend not only looking back at some of the crazier finishes, but also talking to programs who escaped the wrath. Programs who are dancing on to the second weekend and hoping to punch their ticket to a championship weekend.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCANABC Studio. You can watch Sunday episode LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2FbY54R.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests in order of appearance (subject to change):
- Chuck McBreen, Ramapo men's coach
- Jason Zimmerman, No. 6 Emory men's coach
- Larry Anderson, MIT men's coach
- Bill Broderick, No. 18 Christopher Newport women's coach
- Laurie Kelly, Gustavus Adolphus women's coach
- Carla Berube, No. 8 Tufts women's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

NJBALLERZ

Big time W for Ramapo @ Williams this past weekend. Nice to see a team from the NJAC get out of the first weekend of NCAA's.

I always wondered how a top NESCAC team would match-up with the athleticism of a top NJAC team. I think one of the big differences between the two leagues is that NESCAC teams typically handle their out of conference schedule better than NJAC teams. NESCAC teams are lucky however, in that there strength of schedule will always be high due to the teams they play in league. For any NJAC team to have a SOS that is lower than .510 is comical. You are playing 3-4 top regionally ranked opponents every night. For voters to say oh, well that team should never have lost to Rowan, but if Middlebury loses to Trinity - that's ok - they had a long drive up there. There is a double standard around the country. Even for Centennial teams - F&M can lose to Dickinson, but if NJCU drops one at Willy P - it's a loss that can keep them out of the NCAA. The Atlantic Region is primarily made up of NJAC schools. College of State Island would have been middle of the pack in the NJAC. Cabrini seemed legit - other than that, I think the NESCAC has an easier chance of getting at large bids bc of the makeup of their league. Same with Centennial.

There is my mini-rant. GO ROADRUNNERS!!

phil

One thing you're overlooking about the NESCAC is that their incredible academic reputation makes the member schools very desirable to attend. Unlike the NJAC, schools like Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, etc., are able to recruit nationally. Williams alone has players from 11 different states on their roster – including four from California and only one from Massachusetts where Williams is located. You may argue that the difficulty of gaining admission to these schools makes up for this, but the continued success of the NESCAC against the rest of DIII in almost all sports suggests otherwise. When you can recruit from 50 states – AND you know that the kids you're going to be coaching have Ivy League smarts – you've got a leg up on the rest of DIII ... and the NJAC.

Case in point  – in a different sport. My daughter is attending a week long softball tourney in Colorado this summer with her team. It's a well known yearly event among select teams and much recruiting is done every year. Last year on my daughter's team we had two 13 yr. olds verbal to Oklahoma and Texas A&M. To start off the week, there are individual camps with mostly all D1 schools. Among them this year are Syracuse, Illinois, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Utah, Wisconsin, Lehigh... and MIDDLEBURY. Lotsa luck NJAC.

NJBALLERZ

Quote from: phil on March 05, 2018, 06:49:50 PM
One thing you're overlooking about the NESCAC is that their incredible academic reputation makes the member schools very desirable to attend. Unlike the NJAC, schools like Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, etc., are able to recruit nationally. Williams alone has players from 11 different states on their roster – including four from California and only one from Massachusetts where Williams is located. You may argue that the difficulty of gaining admission to these schools makes up for this, but the continued success of the NESCAC against the rest of DIII in almost all sports suggests otherwise. When you can recruit from 50 states – AND you know that the kids you're going to be coaching have Ivy League smarts – you've got a leg up on the rest of DIII ... and the NJAC.

Case in point  – in a different sport. My daughter is attending a week long softball tourney in Colorado this summer with her team. It's a well known yearly event among select teams and much recruiting is done every year. Last year on my daughter's team we had two 13 yr. olds verbal to Oklahoma and Texas A&M. To start off the week, there are individual camps with mostly all D1 schools. Among them this year are Syracuse, Illinois, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Utah, Wisconsin, Lehigh... and MIDDLEBURY. Lotsa luck NJAC.

This literally has nothing to do with my most recent post. I am fully aware of the national recruiting ability of most of the NESCAC schools. Not sure what that has to do with the strength of schedule and impact academics have on the NCAA committee.

Every DIII school that competes at a high level grinds on the road and is fully committed to the recruiting trail. It may come easier as some schools - however, still not sure what this has to do with my last post.

I do not disagree with your argument. NJAC schools for the most part are not the most academically challenging. I think most of the NJAC schools are commuter schools. That being said, I do know that TCNJ has been ranked the #1 Public School in NJ and the #1 Public Institution in the North East Region and has a top 35 Business School in the Country, public and private.

phil

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on March 05, 2018, 01:52:52 PM
...I think one of the big differences between the two leagues...
I was merely pointing out one of the other big differences between the two leagues.
And I know all about TCNJ. I went there.

NJBALLERZ

Quote from: phil on March 06, 2018, 10:51:24 AM
Quote from: NJBALLERZ on March 05, 2018, 01:52:52 PM
...I think one of the big differences between the two leagues...
I was merely pointing out one of the other big differences between the two leagues.
And I know all about TCNJ. I went there.

Point taken! I was more so talking just hoops - but I hear you Phil. Being a TCNJ alumni, what do you think of the direction the program is heading?