CCIW volleyball

Started by WLCALUM83, September 17, 2009, 03:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

North Central was placed in a regional with 4 nationally ranked squads. They get OAC power Heidelberg right off the bat, and if they win that, take your pick, either HCAC tourney champ Bluffton, or OAC tourney champ Ohio Northern.

Carthage -on paper- appears to have received an easier 1st round draw. 

AndOne

I don't think the Cardinals give a poop who they play. There is only one team (Oshkosh) in the entire tournament who has more wins (1 more) than they do, so unless they have played vastly inferior teams as compared to the rest of the field, I sense they believe they can play with anyone.
Spike 'em Cards.

OshDude

Quote from: cubs on November 09, 2009, 12:14:07 PM
Quote from: OshDude on November 08, 2009, 02:59:47 AM
Quote from: WLCALUM83 on November 07, 2009, 04:58:16 PM
The football announcer was saying he heard they may end up in Holland, MI or Oshkosh WI, with perhaps as high as a #2 seed.
Could be in St. Louis as well. I think either or both of Whitewater/Carthage will be at Wash U because the MIAC powers have to be in Oshkosh. Need to somehow fill out the Wash U 2-4 seeds to go along with Nebraska Wesleyan. North Central could fill out St. Louis with three Pool A's (maybe Webster, Simpson and Lakeland?).
Looks like Carthage got a #4 seed, as they will open up aginst Simpson College, and then face the winner of Nebraska Wesleyan/UW Platteville in St. Louis.

Great work on your predictions however, as just about everything you said came true, with exception to Lakeland going to Michigan instead of Missouri.
Not a big deal, but I'm pretty sure Carthage is #2. I think the opening-round matches in the eight-teamers all go #3s first, then #2s, #4s and #1s. Could be wrong, though.

cubs

Quote from: OshDude on November 09, 2009, 10:09:18 PM
Quote from: cubs on November 09, 2009, 12:14:07 PM
Quote from: OshDude on November 08, 2009, 02:59:47 AM
Quote from: WLCALUM83 on November 07, 2009, 04:58:16 PM
The football announcer was saying he heard they may end up in Holland, MI or Oshkosh WI, with perhaps as high as a #2 seed.
Could be in St. Louis as well. I think either or both of Whitewater/Carthage will be at Wash U because the MIAC powers have to be in Oshkosh. Need to somehow fill out the Wash U 2-4 seeds to go along with Nebraska Wesleyan. North Central could fill out St. Louis with three Pool A's (maybe Webster, Simpson and Lakeland?).
Looks like Carthage got a #4 seed, as they will open up aginst Simpson College, and then face the winner of Nebraska Wesleyan/UW Platteville in St. Louis.

Great work on your predictions however, as just about everything you said came true, with exception to Lakeland going to Michigan instead of Missouri.
Not a big deal, but I'm pretty sure Carthage is #2. I think the opening-round matches in the eight-teamers all go #3s first, then #2s, #4s and #1s. Could be wrong, though.
You are correct....  I misread the bracket, thinking that the #1 seed was on top like they are on most traditional brackets.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

petemcb

OK, I guess I'm discovering this board a little late.  I spend most of my time on the CCIW basketball and soccer boards but with one kid at NPU and one at Wheaton, I've become more of a CCIW volleyball fan these days.  Are there any posters out there who are ever at any of the matches?  I'm finding that in some of the 3-0 matches, I can actually pull off a doubleheader by catching the end of the mens soccer game.

petemcb

OK.  I'll try this again.  Maybe a few posts will generate a little interest on this board......maybe not.  Anyway, a young and developing Wheaton team put a nice cap on a good weekend of volleyball by beating a UW-Platteville team that the ASVA d3 poll had ranked at 27th in the nation.  In 4 games at that!  With a rotation that commonly includes at least 2 or 3 freshmen and the same number of sophomores, they appear to be a team/program on the rise for the CCIW.  Last night they took a game from 16th ranked University of Chicago and nearly took a second.  Looking forward to what promises to be an exciting CCIW tournament the first weekend in November.  Does anyone know how the seeding and locations are decided for CCIW volleyball?  Actually, first off, I'll borrow from Pink Floyd:  "Hello, is anybody in there?"

WLCALUM83

Since I've ratched up my VB-related posting activity, I've noticed Carthage and North Central's history of being nationally ranked over the last couple of seasons--has any team from the CCIW performed better than expected this season?

petemcb

I have only really started paying attention to CCIW womens volleyball this season.  I'm more of a basketball and soccer fan.  If North Central has a history of success, then I'd say they are probably under-performing this season, based on what I saw at their own tournament and their overall record.  Wheaton, on the other hand, seems to be performing at a higher level than usual for them, and is doing a lot of what they're doing with a solid core of freshmen and sophomores which seems to bode well for their future.

OshDude

Quote from: petemcb on October 22, 2011, 08:55:40 PM
OK.  I'll try this again.  Maybe a few posts will generate a little interest on this board......maybe not.  Anyway, a young and developing Wheaton team put a nice cap on a good weekend of volleyball by beating a UW-Platteville team that the ASVA d3 poll had ranked at 27th in the nation.  In 4 games at that!  With a rotation that commonly includes at least 2 or 3 freshmen and the same number of sophomores, they appear to be a team/program on the rise for the CCIW.  Last night they took a game from 16th ranked University of Chicago and nearly took a second.  Looking forward to what promises to be an exciting CCIW tournament the first weekend in November.  Does anyone know how the seeding and locations are decided for CCIW volleyball?  Actually, first off, I'll borrow from Pink Floyd:  "Hello, is anybody in there?"
The CCIW has a seeded play-in round before the actual tournament. The four winners of the play-in matches advance to the tournament to be held at the highest remaining seed.

OshDude

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on October 23, 2011, 07:16:38 AM
Since I've ratched up my VB-related posting activity, I've noticed Carthage and North Central's history of being nationally ranked over the last couple of seasons--has any team from the CCIW performed better than expected this season?
I think the CCIW season played out as expected, although I had Elmhurst beating Millikin before the season began.

petemcb

Quote from: OshDude on October 26, 2011, 02:21:36 AM
Quote from: petemcb on October 22, 2011, 08:55:40 PM
The CCIW has a seeded play-in round before the actual tournament. The four winners of the play-in matches advance to the tournament to be held at the highest remaining seed.

Thanks, OshDude.  I'm surprised to hear that except that I heard the same thing at the North Park/Wheaton match last night.  I would have thought that the CCIW would have the same format for each sport, whereas basketball sends the bottom four back to their dorms and brings the top four in for a two day tournament. 

petemcb

By the way, for any North Park fans who might be out there, the Vikings put up probably their best fight of the season last night.  While they lost in three games to Wheaton, North Park was in every game, not losing by more than four points in any of the games if memory serves me correctly.  Unfortunately for NPU, in spite of their improvement in the last month of play, they are likely to draw nationally-ranked Carthage in the play-in game before the conference tournament and that isn't likely to go North Park's way.  Congratulations on the improvement over the course of this season for a young, developing, and improving North Park squad.

petemcb

So are there any veteran CCIW observers out there who know how this conference tournament works?  I get the play-in game on November 1 and I get that the four winners move to the site of the highest remaining seed (likely Carthage).  Those four play on Friday.  What happens Saturday?  Just the two winners for the championship or do the losers of Friday's games also play Saturday for third place?

OshDude

Quote from: petemcb on October 26, 2011, 10:38:13 AM
So are there any veteran CCIW observers out there who know how this conference tournament works?  I get the play-in game on November 1 and I get that the four winners move to the site of the highest remaining seed (likely Carthage).  Those four play on Friday.  What happens Saturday?  Just the two winners for the championship or do the losers of Friday's games also play Saturday for third place?
If it's still like past years, there's only the championship match on Saturday. I didn't hear about a format change.