Author Topic: Eligibility  (Read 2467 times)

Offline delta cook

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Eligibility
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:37:10 am »
If a player practices all year with a team, and never sees the court, is that considered a years eligibility?  The kid does suit up for games.

Offline John Gleich

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Eligibility
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:06:44 am »
Yes.

A player uses up a year of eligibility if they participate in team activities (games, practices, etc) on the day of the first competition or any day thereafter in the season.

Up until the day of the first competition, a player may practice, scrimmage, etc (ie an extended tryout). If that player is either cut or decides not to play beyond that point (the day before competition), then they don't lose eligibility.

This is for a first year player. The NCAA has a clock based upon the first year that a player uses eligibility (and is enrolled in school) so this could become more complicated if a player played a year then took a year or two off (but stayed in school).
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2015, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Offline badgerwarhawk

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:07:58 am »
Yes, that player has used a year of eligibility. 
WARHAWKS,WARHAWKS,WARHAWKS

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:58:48 pm »
This is for a first year player. The NCAA has a clock based upon the first year that a player uses eligibility (and is enrolled in school) so this could become more complicated if a player played a year then took a year or two off (but stayed in school).

Unlike D1, D3 doesn't have a clock. Eligibility is strictly determined by the number of semesters of full-time enrollment, not by the date of the initial full-time enrollment.

(The NCAA website refers to it as a "clock", but that's a misnomer that's probably, like so much else associated with the NCAA, based upon the fact that everybody in the Indianapolis bureaucracy uses D1 as his or her reference point. D3's eligibility rules have nothing to do with chronology; the semesters of eligibility don't need to be consecutive. That's why you see 28-year-old basketball players and 50-year-old football kickers in D3.)
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 01:06:08 pm »
Sager - has Division III changed the 4 years in 10 semesters rule or five years? I was always under the impression they did have a clock because sometimes "older" athletes have to get exemptions from the NCAA to play. I can certainly check it, but I thought that was the rule unless I missed it being changed.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:12:01 pm »
There's no chronology involved. Here's the pertinent page from the NCAA website.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:15:27 pm »

It's the enrollment that starts the clock, not the calendar.  It is four years in five, but that's assuming the student is enrolled for all five of those semesters.

Sager, are there regulations for academic years?  A player couldn't just enroll every Spring and leave school every fall to play the meat of eight seasons, right?  There's got to be something to prevent that.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 01:21:05 pm »

It's the enrollment that starts the clock, not the calendar.  It is four years in five, but that's assuming the student is enrolled for all five of those semesters.

... which is another way of saying that chronology doesn't matter. If he's not enrolled for consecutive school years it has no effect upon his eligibility, even when he's passed the five-year point from his initial enrollment.

Sager, are there regulations for academic years?  A player couldn't just enroll every Spring and leave school every fall to play the meat of eight seasons, right?  There's got to be something to prevent that.

There's nothing to prevent that. It's common sense that nobody is going to prolong their college education to such lengths just to play a sport, particularly in a division in which said student-athlete is paying for his own education, especially since you only get to play for four seasons, anyway.

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 01:33:23 pm »

... which is another way of saying that chronology doesn't matter. If he's not enrolled for consecutive school years it has no effect upon his eligibility, even when he's passed the five-year point from his initial enrollment.

There's nothing to prevent that. It's common sense that nobody is going to prolong their college education to such lengths just to play a sport, particularly in a division in which said student-athlete is paying for his own education, especially since you only get to play for four seasons, anyway.

I doubt the coach would like it, but I could see someone who's got a job taking classes every other semester to be able to play most of the season for a bunch of years.  It's not unusually for a student to skip the fall semester in order to finish their eligibility at the end of the season.  With some of the crazy things schools have gotten in trouble for of late, I wouldn't put it past a coach to try.

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 01:45:51 pm »
That opens up eligibility issues and standards for the school. It doesn't happen often because there are other challenges and hurdles that would get in the way of allow that to happen.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 03:42:23 pm »

You can still only play in four athletic seasons, no matter what. If you choose to play four half seasons that's on you, but you don't get to play in eight athletic seasons.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 05:09:42 pm »

You can still only play in four athletic seasons, no matter what. If you choose to play four half seasons that's on you, but you don't get to play in eight athletic seasons.

Right, that's what I meant by some regulation to keep students from doing it.  Makes more sense now.

Offline John Gleich

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 07:46:50 pm »

But I didn't say anything that contradicted this. I talked about being in school (which is the key here) and not playing (after having previously plated) but NOT leaving school for a semester or more. For continuing players, the former is much more common than the latter. As unfortunate as it may be, once someone leaves school, they don't often return.

Thus my mention of the "clock," which does only imply chronology... But I tried to make it clear by my description.

The fact remains that once a player uses a year of eligibility, they have a limited period of time (time being defined by semesters endorsed full time... Maybe an awkward turn of phrase but this is the NCAA we're talking amount here) to compete. And the great majority of students do this at the beginning of their college career.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2015, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 08:00:43 pm »

But I didn't say anything that contradicted this. I talked about being in school (which is the key here) and not playing (after having previously plated) but NOT leaving school for a semester or more. For continuing players, the former is much more common than the latter. As unfortunate as it may be, once someone leaves school, they don't often return.

Thus my mention of the "clock," which does only imply chronology... But I tried to make it clear by my description.

The fact remains that once a player uses a year of eligibility, they have a limited period of time (time being defined by semesters endorsed full time... Maybe an awkward turn of phrase but this is the NCAA we're talking amount here) to compete. And the great majority of students do this at the beginning of their college career.

I think maybe it's your use of eligibility that was throwing us off.  I get what you're saying now, and I even think you're using eligibility appropriately (in that you're describing a particular time when someone is eligible to play a sport); it's just not the way I hear it used most often (which is more about actually playing).  You are correct, once someone enrolls and classes begin, they are using their eligibility - and so long as they remain enrolled, there is a clock on long that eligibility remains.