2017 Season - National Perspective

Started by D3soccerwatcher, August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstplaceloser

Bummer this season for Rowan is i hear one of their All Americans is out this year with an injury ...

deutschfan

Chicago v Whitworth was unwatchable. Ugly soccer on both sides. Followed that with Costa Rica game.  May be time to start following baseball.

firstplaceloser

this lycoming vs rowan game is actually insane. goals back and forth. rowan keeper with the worst mistake i've ever seen. just let a free kick go in from 35yds

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: firstplaceloser on September 02, 2017, 09:35:14 PM
this lycoming vs rowan game is actually insane. goals back and forth. rowan keeper with the worst mistake i've ever seen. just let a free kick go in from 35yds

There was no video stream for this one. Were you at the game? Can you elaborate more on what you thought? This was a very nice win for Lycoming on the road.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on September 03, 2017, 01:17:08 PM

There was no video stream for this one. Were you at the game? Can you elaborate more on what you thought? This was a very nice win for Lycoming on the road.

Yeah i was there. It was a very very entertaining game to say the least. Rowan's goals in the run of play were beautiful. Lycoming was very very tough and pretty much "NJACed" Rowan. Lycoming was given a penalty as well. the ref did a tremendous job keeping a physical game under control. Rowan without Doherty is in trouble...BUT the transfer from Ramapo #10 is legit.

Shooter McGavin

Opening Weekend Notable Match-ups

9/1
Chicago vs Whitworth (2-1)
Kenyon vs CMU (2-1 2OT)
Calvin vs OWU (2-1 2OT)
Grove City vs ONU (1-1 2OT)
Roanoke vs UMass Boston (0-0 2OT)
Leb Val vs Muhles (1-2)
Lynchburg vs Pfeiffer (1-0)
Etown vs Morrisville St (7-1)
Gordon vs Montclair St (0-1)
St. Mary's (Md) vs Gettsyburg (1-2)
Babson vs SLU (3-2)
RUC vs Lycoming (0-2)
Stevens vs Kean (5-2)
Endicott vs MIT (0-0 2OT)
Wheaton (Ill) vs St. Olaf (3-0)

9/2
MW vs Messiah (1-3)
CNU vs W&L (1-2)
Rowan vs Lycoming (2-3)
Cortland vs Brandeis (3-2)
Salisbury vs Gettysburg (0-1 2OT)
Dickinson vs Morrisville St (8-2)
Rochester vs Misericordia (2-1)
Wheaton vs Loras (1-2)

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: firstplaceloser on September 03, 2017, 01:21:04 PM

Yeah i was there. It was a very very entertaining game to say the least. Rowan's goals in the run of play were beautiful. Lycoming was very very tough and pretty much "NJACed" Rowan. Lycoming was given a penalty as well. the ref did a tremendous job keeping a physical game under control. Rowan without Doherty is in trouble...BUT the transfer from Ramapo #10 is legit.

Sounds like a great game. Wish I could have seen it! Were they evenly matched? Will Rowan be able to adapt without Doherty? 

Shooter McGavin

Shooter's Top 25 Poll
1) Tufts (DNP)
2) Calvin (2-0-0)
3) Messiah (2-0-0)
4) St. Thomas (2-0-0)
5) Chicago (2-0-0)
6) Amherst (DNP)
7) Trinity (Tx) (2-0-0)
8) Cortland St. (2-0-0)
9) Rutgers Newark (2-0-0)
10) W&L (2-0-0)
11) Oneonta St. (2-0-0)
12) Babson (2-0-0)
13) Lynchburg (1-0-1)
14) Haverford (1-0-0)
15) Vassar (2-0-0)
16) Scranton (2-0-0)
17) John Carroll (2-0-0)
18) Aurora (2-0-0)
19) Dickinson (2-0-0)
20) Rochester (2-0-0)
21) Lycoming (2-0-0)
22) Endicott (1-0-1)
23) Brandeis (1-1)
24) Rowan (1-1)
25) UMass-Boston (0-0-2)
RV: Eastern, Gettysburg, Hopkins, F&M, Etown, York, CNU, CMU, ONU, OWU, MSU, RUC, Emory, Geneva, PSU-Behrand, Wash U, Carthage, Loras, Springfield, Chapman

The top 15 are relatively easy based off last year's finish and this year's start. 16-22 are reserved for good wins and strong starts to this season. 23-RV are for strong teams that may have gotten tripped up by another strong team but that L in the loss column sees them on the outside looking in or possibly an undefeated start but vs weaker opponents. I am sure we will see many of these teams creep back in the top 25.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Does anybody know when the first rankings/polls will actually be released? Tuesdays? Wednesdays? I feel like this flip flops each year and for each website.

Christan Shirk

Due to being behind schedule and short-staffed, the D3soccer.com Top 25 will only start next week.

Whenever the season basically starts on a weekend, there's a debate whether it makes sense to do a poll that Monday (or Tuesday in case of Labor Day) or wait a week.  Since D3soccer.com does not do a preseason Top 25, I usually lean towards doing a Top 25 even after just a weekend of games. This year that really wasn't an option for us, unfortunately.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Christan Shirk on September 06, 2017, 09:23:42 AM
Due to being behind schedule and short-staffed, the D3soccer.com Top 25 will only start next week.

Whenever the season basically starts on a weekend, there's a debate whether it makes sense to do a poll that Monday (or Tuesday in case of Labor Day) or wait a week.  Since D3soccer.com does not do a preseason Top 25, I usually lean towards doing a Top 25 even after just a weekend of games. This year that really wasn't an option for us, unfortunately.

Completely understand Christian! Thanks for clarifying and I think most will agree that we love the website and hope it keeps going for years to come! You guys do a tremendous job for the D3 soccer community and it's much appreciated by all.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on September 05, 2017, 08:48:21 AM

Sounds like a great game. Wish I could have seen it! Were they evenly matched? Will Rowan be able to adapt without Doherty?

Rowan is in trouble without him. you can tell they don't have the same creativity as they used to. it's like the heart of the team just isn't there. and i know a few players personally, they are worried.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: firstplaceloser on September 06, 2017, 07:34:14 PM

Rowan is in trouble without him. you can tell they don't have the same creativity as they used to. it's like the heart of the team just isn't there. and i know a few players personally, they are worried.

A 7-0 win last night seems like they are rebounding nicely. I can't imagine they would be worried with losing one player. Yes he is arguably the best player on that team but they have tons of depth and playmakers. Will be intrigued to see how it pans our for them this year! Rowan was definitely a preseason favorite for NCAA Final 4 before losing Doherty.

Shooter McGavin

St. Lawrence @ Oneonta St tomorrow...is this a must win for SLU?? Or at least a must to to get a result?

paclassic89

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on September 07, 2017, 11:17:38 AM
Quote from: firstplaceloser on September 06, 2017, 07:34:14 PM

A 7-0 win last night seems like they are rebounding nicely. I can't imagine they would be worried with losing one player. Yes he is arguably the best player on that team but they have tons of depth and playmakers. Will be intrigued to see how it pans our for them this year! Rowan was definitely a preseason favorite for NCAA Final 4 before losing Doherty.

A 7-0 win against an Albright team who has won a total of 3 games the past 2 seasons  ;D