Goalkeepers Thread

Started by D3_Slack, October 13, 2021, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3_Slack

The more games I watch the more I'm noticing the disparity of goalkeeping play.  From everything I've seen this year I believe the two best goalkeepers I've seen are the NYU and Ohio Northern keepers. 

Who are the GK's we should keep an eye on?  With how physical the game is being played as the season goes along and with how scarce goals are between top teams GK's will have a huge say in who wins the title.

Thanks for your perspectives...I'll be sure to check them out if I haven't seen them already.

Hopkins92

Messiah and Hopkins are the best I've seen in the dozen or so games I've checked in on. There's another one that stood on his head to keep a game against Hopkins close, but it's escaping me at the moment.

d4_Pace

The goalie at Tufts is very good and is a true freshmen. This weekend against Amherst will be a good test as they are every goalkeepers nightmare with flip throw-ins, set pieces, and large bodies everywhere.

WLCALUM83

I'll put in a good word for WLC's Puma  Galvan, who had to  do everything short of standing on his head to prevent MSOE from scoring in 110 minutes of play in the NACC North Championship Game last spring. WLC lost on penalty kicks in that match.
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

WUPHF

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I believe Matt Martin is a first-team all UAA GK and has a shot at the Defensive Player of the Year, edging out Luca Mancuso among others.

Hey, watch them both on Friday at 8:00 pm St. Louis time.

https://washubears.com/sports/msoc/2021-22/schedule

SimpleCoach

Having just watched the Ohio Northern v John Carroll game, I've have to rank the John Carroll keeper up there.  Solid, comes off his line well, and capable of making the big time save.

Hopkins92

Eastern's goalie absolutely stood on his yesterday to put his team in a spot to pull a massive upset against Messiah yesterday. 5 point blank saves on volleys and headers, at least 2 other diving saves on shots from distance headed for home. I don't have enough to say about his overall body of work but I watched most of that 3-2 2OT thriller and that kid was magic yesterday.

* Looks up some stuff *
1) Dude's name is Diesel Fiore. That's fantastic.
2) Dude is a freshman. Dude.

Maine Soccer Fan

I watched the whole game and the Eastern keeper really was superb. He left me wishing for replays.

SimpleCoach

The Eastern Keeper made a handful of awesome saves, including one on a header that he parried around the post for a corner.  Eastern made it to OT largely on his performance.  And on Messiah's first goal, I think he came up with the save and the ball didn't cross the line.

Gregory Sager

I've watched North Central (IL) keeper Sid Marquardt several times this year, and he's as good as his prominent place in the current D3 goalkeeper statistics (1st in shutouts, 7th in GAA, 11th in save %) indicate. He's the difference between the Cardinals being average-to-good and the Cardinals being ranked.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell