2018 World Cup Bracket Challenge

Started by blooter442, June 08, 2018, 12:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: JFPIV on June 14, 2018, 08:52:34 PM
The one thing that I heard that at least gave some justification to letting Lopetegui go comes from the Wahl-Strauss SI podcast.  Strauss got this spin on the decision from a Spanish writer that covers La Coruna.  The essence of it is this: by taking the Real job every decision he would make during the competition would be called into question and judged against the Real-Barca dynamic.  Who he started.  Who he benched.  Who he pulled out.  Everything he did would be called into question.  Both Wahl & Strauss indicated that, according to Spanish writers, this created a firestorm.

I'm not a Spaniard or a supporter of either Real or Barca but that's at least one explanation coming out of Spain.

I can see that, but this isn't the first time that a coach of Madrid or Barcelona has also coached La Roja -- just look at Del Bosque, winner of a World Cup and two Euros, who led Madrid in the late 90s/early 2000s.

To be fair, there was a five-year gap between Del Bosque coaching Madrid and Spain, which is certainly different than being appointed Madrid coach days before the World Cup starts, but I guess my point is that it's not completely foreign territory (no pun intended) to have someone who's coached RM/FCB also coach Spain.

My own inclination would be to keep from rocking the boat (e.g. not firing the coach while the team is already in Russia) but maybe they thought that the waters would get choppier with a coach who is potentially distracted by his next adventure?

Either way I would have to think that -- if Spain thought it had a good chance -- it wouldn't have been so concerned with the collateral resulting from big decisions but would rather try to see things through as smoothly as possible. Maybe they think they are smoothing things out by making this change. Who knows.

blooter442

All second half I was wondering when Salah would come on. Cuper appeared to have vindicated himself with that big call as it was 0–0 going into the last five, but now he looks foolish for not going for it while his team was on the up. Hindsight is 20/20, but I have always thought that parking the bus works great until you concede. Not saying they parked the bus, but they didn't go for it and the gamble went bad. Of course, if Salah had come on and re-injured himself, people may have criticized Cuper, but at least they would have gone for it. Shame it happened in the last minute. He is going to have some big questions to answer.

Greek Tragedy

Not sure why I don't check the soccer boards more often. Missed out on another fantasy league. I guess I'll just troll you guys and make fun of you.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

I think Salah named to the bench was all show. Ratings boost for sure. I don't think there was any way he was getting on the field today. I'm not so sure he'll get in during the group stages at all.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

blooter442

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on June 15, 2018, 10:23:08 AM
Not sure why I don't check the soccer boards more often. Missed out on another fantasy league. I guess I'll just troll you guys and make fun of you.
Missed it by less than 24 hours. Rough. #suckstosuck ;) (All in good fun.)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on June 15, 2018, 10:26:31 AM
I think Salah named to the bench was all show. Ratings boost for sure. I don't think there was any way he was getting on the field today.
The coach said yesterday he "would almost 100% play, barring any unforeseen factors at the last moment." Would appear that — after today — Salah isn't as fit as Cuper wanted us to believe. Would appear that he was feeding us all a line and trying to strike fear into Uruguay. Almost worked — until it didn't. Certainly helped ratings though.

I'm not so sure he'll get in during the group stages at all.
Then he may not get in during the tournament — Russia is looking a force after yesterday's result. Egypt needs two big results now to get out of the group.

1970s NESCAC Player

I'm not so sure he'll get in during the group stages at all.
Then he may not get in during the tournament — Russia is looking a force after yesterday's result. Egypt needs two big results now to get out of the group.

- Bloots, your post raises the question whether Egypt needs two big results (to overcome the present -6 GD with Russia) or if they just need to beat Russia and match Russia's point total for the group stage (i.e., going through on the head-to-head result).  Is GD the first tie breaker or head-to-head?

blooter442

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on June 15, 2018, 12:23:02 PM
- Bloots, your post raises the question whether Egypt needs two big results (to overcome the present -6 GD with Russia) or if they just need to beat Russia and match Russia's point total for the group stage (i.e., going through on the head-to-head result).  Is GD the first tie breaker or head-to-head?

Ah, I believe you're right — I think it is H2H. Either way, banking on that is playing with fire...but I guess that's what makes it fun to watch.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: blooter442 on June 15, 2018, 12:26:56 PM

Ah, I believe you're right — I think it is H2H. Either way, banking on that is playing with fire...but I guess that's what makes it fun to watch.

I agree with the "playing with fire" assessment, but they possibly always contemplated a loss to Uruguay and knew a result against Russia would be needed, so today's loss may not have changed expectations much.

blooter442

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on June 15, 2018, 12:45:25 PM
[T]hey possibly always contemplated a loss to Uruguay and knew a result against Russia would be needed, so today's loss may not have changed expectations much.

Very true. Well, it's even more clear-cut now!

Just now: Great header; wrong goal.

Mr.Right

50/50 that Moroccan substitute that just scored an own goal to give Iran a 1-0 win off a set piece is on the "take"...That was a beautiful finish into his own net. Yes cynical but just way to much money in this global behemoth now to not think some of this stuff happens. I mean that looked suspicious as h*ll

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 15, 2018, 01:00:11 PM
50/50 that Moroccan substitute that just scored an own goal to give Iran a 1-0 win off a set piece is on the "take"...That was a beautiful finish into his own net. Yes cynical but just way to much money in this global behemoth now to not think some of this stuff happens. I mean that looked suspicious as h*ll

Right, you're not the only one who saw that as suspicious. Twitter just erupted.

I am not sure it was intentional, but (even having never played competitively myself) I do have to wonder what he was thinking. He would have known he was on the front post and — even with guys lurking behind — was it worth attempting to play the ball if he wasn't sure he could head it clear? Obviously too high to just thwack it clear with the foot, and you're under a lot of pressure as it is, but you'd think if you're going to head it you go away from the net, or at least behind for a corner. Maybe he misplayed it? Either way, wouldn't think you'd try to go towards your own net in hopes of it clearing the bar.

blooter442

Nacho with a blooter for La Roja. What a hit!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: blooter442 on June 15, 2018, 12:26:56 PM

The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:
a)
greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b)
goal difference in all group matches;
c)
greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their
rankings shall be determined as follows:
d)
greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the
teams concerned;
e)
goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams
concerned;
f)
greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams
concerned;
g)
greater number of points obtained in the fair play conduct of the teams
based on yellow and red cards received in all group matches as follows:
– yellow card:
minus 1 point
–    indirect red card:
minus 3 points
(as a result of a second yellow card)
– direct red card:
minus 4 points
– yellow card and direct red card:
minus 5 points
Only one of the above deductions shall be applied to a player in a single
match;
h)
drawing of lots by FIFA
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

blooter442

Wow, great hit by Ronaldo! He used to be the master of the knuckleball free kick but — after going off the boil on the free kick front in recent years — that was a great curling strike into the top corner. Not sure if I've ever seen him curl one, but — either way — fair play.

EasyGoer27

Right now we are looking at Brazil/Germany in the first round.......