FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on April 06, 2019, 07:12:47 PM
Why do schools want to be  D1?  Three reasons: money, money and of course money.

And, of course, no one thinks THEY will be perennial doormats.  Hope springs eternal.

Air Raid

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 27, 2019, 02:14:32 PM
don't sell BC short .... they almost beat RMC in Ashland last season

I agree that the Eagles played really well last season, and Clark is as smart as they come.  The issue that I find is to move them up, a team must be moved down.  Ferrum returns their star tailback in B. Mann, and one of the better o-linemen in J.Patti.  HSC- K. Smith is a tremendous do everything sparkplug that can change a game in a heartbeat.
W&L? -maybe....but I learned (the hard way) to never count out the Generals they always find a way. (note-they lost another coach to Davidson this offseason). 

jknezek

It's a fairly tight race this year, but it looks like, on the back of a very strong Spring slate, W&L will retain all 3 Commissioner's Cups.

The men pulled away, despite tough baseball and football seasons, on the backs of ODAC Championships in Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, and Indoor Track and Field. I think they took 104 out of a possible 122 points, dropping 9 in baseball and 4.5 in football.

The women picked it up in the spring after trailing most of the year. A tough Riding and both T&F slates were overcome by ODAC Championships in Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Swimming and Tennis and a split in Volleyball. Unusually, soccer dropped 5 points, FH dropped a couple, and Riding cost 4. I think the women took 106 out of 127 points, or .83%.

In my preliminary analysis, which is not guaranteed to be correct, W&L was followed by RMC, Lynchburg, Bridgewater and Roanoke in all 3 cups respectively.

If I'm correct, this will be W&L's 23rd Overall Cup, out of the 25 awarded, and the Generals' 17th straight. Lynchburg won the other two Overall Cups in '00/'01 and '01/'02.

On the Men's side, this will be W&L's 19th out of 27, and their 4th straight since VWC won their single Men's cup in '14/'15. Lynchburg holds 5 men's cups, winning 4 straight from '08/09 through '11/'12. Bridgewater won one back in '03/'04 and H-SC won the first in '92/'93.

Finally, if my numbers are right, this will be W&L's 19th Women's Cup and their 16th straight. Roanoke holds the 8 other Women's Cups, winning 5 straight from '98/'99 through '02/'03 as well as the first two cups in '92/'93 and '93/'94 as well as '95/'96.

More information found at odaconline.com and specifically for Commissioner's Cups can be found at: http://odaconline.com/general/files/comm-cup-alltime-results.pdf

tigerFanAlso2

I assume recruiting is done for the 2019 incoming class. No news out of HSC regarding their class. Any news from other odac schools ?

HSCTiger74

Quote from: jknezek on May 06, 2019, 10:44:18 AM
It's a fairly tight race this year, but it looks like, on the back of a very strong Spring slate, W&L will retain all 3 Commissioner's Cups.

The men pulled away, despite tough baseball and football seasons, on the backs of ODAC Championships in Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, and Indoor Track and Field. I think they took 104 out of a possible 122 points, dropping 9 in baseball and 4.5 in football.

The women picked it up in the spring after trailing most of the year. A tough Riding and both T&F slates were overcome by ODAC Championships in Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Swimming and Tennis and a split in Volleyball. Unusually, soccer dropped 5 points, FH dropped a couple, and Riding cost 4. I think the women took 106 out of 127 points, or .83%.

In my preliminary analysis, which is not guaranteed to be correct, W&L was followed by RMC, Lynchburg, Bridgewater and Roanoke in all 3 cups respectively.

If I'm correct, this will be W&L's 23rd Overall Cup, out of the 25 awarded, and the Generals' 17th straight. Lynchburg won the other two Overall Cups in '00/'01 and '01/'02.

On the Men's side, this will be W&L's 19th out of 27, and their 4th straight since VWC won their single Men's cup in '14/'15. Lynchburg holds 5 men's cups, winning 4 straight from '08/09 through '11/'12. Bridgewater won one back in '03/'04 and H-SC won the first in '92/'93.

Finally, if my numbers are right, this will be W&L's 19th Women's Cup and their 16th straight. Roanoke holds the 8 other Women's Cups, winning 5 straight from '98/'99 through '02/'03 as well as the first two cups in '92/'93 and '93/'94 as well as '95/'96.

More information found at odaconline.com and specifically for Commissioner's Cups can be found at: http://odaconline.com/general/files/comm-cup-alltime-results.pdf

I guess it's a good thing you guys don't play in the MIAC, you'd have to be watching your back about now.
TANSTAAFL

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on May 09, 2019, 11:08:14 AM
I assume recruiting is done for the 2019 incoming class. No news out of HSC regarding their class. Any news from other odac schools ?

W&L posted them, one or two a week, to their Facebook feed for a while. Not sure how many there were or if they did them all. I just don't get real fired up about it. Just hope we have some numbers.

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on May 09, 2019, 11:50:55 AM
Quote from: jknezek on May 06, 2019, 10:44:18 AM

I guess it's a good thing you guys don't play in the MIAC, you'd have to be watching your back about now.

That is definitely a messy situation in the MIAC.

Air Raid

E&H landed one heck of a transfer from U. of Richmond.  Grayson Overstreet broke VHSL records and will be a big force in the conference.  Look for him to get minutes on both sides of the ball, very talented and intelligent young man

Oline89

Quote from: Air Raid on May 15, 2019, 11:47:06 AM
E&H landed one heck of a transfer from U. of Richmond.  Grayson Overstreet broke VHSL records and will be a big force in the conference.  Look for him to get minutes on both sides of the ball, very talented and intelligent young man

Just passing by your board, and read the article on this young man.  Seems like a great player.  General question about transferring to D3. The article says that he played in the minimum 4 games, then was red shirted.  Unless it was an injury red shirt, doesn't the one year a player spent in D1 still count to his 4 years of D3 eligibility? The article states he has 4 years to play at E&H, might it only be 3?  Either way, looks like he will be a huge contributor. 

Air Raid

If I understand the rule correctly, he will keep his 4 years of eligibility intact.  A (D1 or D1AA) player maintains his year of football eligibility as long as he has played in 4 games or fewer , and meets the progress toward degree criteria.  I believe It is something called the 10 semester/15 quarter rule. 

Scots13

This kid might be a star, but let's not forget E&H gets FCS transfers just about every year. A few two years ago they had kids from App State, JMU, and W&M.

If pure talent on paper won titles, E&H would win every year. By far one of the most talent-rich rosters in the region. Makes you wonder what's going on in Emory.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on May 16, 2019, 09:51:20 AM
This kid might be a star, but let's not forget E&H gets FCS transfers just about every year. A few two years ago they had kids from App State, JMU, and W&M.

If pure talent on paper won titles, E&H would win every year. By far one of the most talent-rich rosters in the region. Makes you wonder what's going on in Emory.

This is true. On paper, E&H's roster always looks impressive. When game time rolls around, they have struggled to perform. Since Coach Whacker left I've never seen a team so consistently hurt themselves with a lack of discipline. Penalties, taunting, lack of focus... it's been just weird almost every time I see them play. You can see the quality of athletes and individuals on almost ever play, but it rarely seems to translate well to a quality team.

hasanova

Can anyone explain why E&H doesn't do the postgame handshake line?  I don't see every E&H game, so I assume what I witnessed last November is the norm.  Sorry, but I don't like it.

Jeremybozz

Congrats to Bridgewater CB Davonta Womack for the 100 Meters Division 3 National Championship. New ODAC record 10.2 seconds.

tigerFanAlso2

Never forget 75 years ago .... the reason we speak English and enjoy freedom ..... God Bless the Greatest Generation